MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
What are some of the things you're hoping to see in 2020

- Hogan gets fit and becomes the top key forward we know he is.

- McCarthy gets right and finds himself in the Best 22

- We add a couple of more assistant coaches like Curley or Otten

- Colyer is utilised on the wing and we use his speed to advantage

- Taberner, Pearce and Lobb play the full season

- Darcy finally becomes a beast in the ruck

- Draft exclusively WA boys

- Depth players like Menadue, McIntosh and Menegola can be brought in and have an impact.

- We challenge for or make finals

1. Full season from Pearce
2. Cerra get's played in the midfield
3. Grab someone who can impact instantly in the Mid Season Draft
4. Draft Ben Sokol
5. See improvement from Banfield, North, Schultz, Meek, Carter and Watson
6. Bewley played on the wing
7. Give Izzy Butters a chance at the top level
8. Debut Valente and Sturt
9. Wilson at his very best and Ryan better than usual
10. Play Finals

1. Make finals

2. McCarthy finds consistency, and of the good type.

3. Brayshaw becomes an even better player

4. Hogan, Pearce and Taberner all stay fit.

5. Darcy gets better

6. Switta kicks goals

7. Cerra unlocks his potential

8. Fyfe wins 3rd Brownlow

- Blakely, Cerra and Brayshaw play predominately as inside mids with Mundy and Walters getting more time forward

- Hogan, Tabs and Lobb play the full season injury free

- Carter becomes a gun rebound half back/small defender as we desperately need one

- Get the likes of Bewley/Tucker/Colyer to become decent enough wingers

- The likes of Darcy, Duman, Logue, Blakely, Cerra and Brayshaw take the 'next step'

- Get some more toughness and anger around the stoppages, i.e. people to remonstrate with Fyfe taggers etc.

- Fyfe wins a third Charlie

Improvement of our skill level.

Positive development of Giro, North and Crowden.

Carter and Sturt to take the next step to become a best 25 players.

Henry debut.

A more effective and versatile gameplan to see more consistently positive efforts and results.

A workable forward structure.

No forwardline players in the team only to defend and pressure.

Players played in their most effective positions.

An embracing of talent.

Calling out poor umpiring when needed by our head coach.

Less soft tissue and lower leg injuries.

Every player on the list treated fairly.

Enjoying watching my team again.

Last edited:
- Stephens, Robertson, Henry, Sharp & Sokol
- Stephens & Sharp walk into team replacing Hill & Langdon and go at a quality that no one talks about them as a big loss
- a full season for Hogan
- less blatantly obvious skill errors
- 5 players to get 20 or more goals
- Another brownlow for Fyfe
- Brayshaw & Cerra to play midfield
- A rising star nomination or 2
- Ethan Hughes at the helm of Longmuir to evolve into an aggressive Brayden Maynard style backman
- A trade period where good players don't leave

- Banfield career revival. From playing almost every game in his first year to bupkis in his second but can clearly win the ball if given the opportunity, and we need more ball winners.
- a win against the Hawks or Eagles or both would be real noice
- get more out of Wilson
- ideally less injuries all round but especially need to get games into Sturt and Valente
- tall forwards actually working well together
- Cerra showing a bit more, in the midfield preferably
- Henry playing right away and being a chance for the rising star

Improved skill level around the park
Better forward structure
Any of Hogan/Lobb/Tabs to get 40+ goals, preferably more
Brayshaw to have a break out season, establish himself to be in our best centre square combo
Cerra to show the talent he did in 2018
Our draftees (hopefully Stephens/Robertson/Henry) to show their talent and have at least 1 be a strong contender for the rising star
Less ******* injuries
Full season out of AP
Luke Ryan to sign a long term contract
Likes of Carter, Sturt, Valente, Logue, Blakely, Switta and Duman to at least make positive steps forward in their development.
Hodor to remain in the 22 on form for the season and not having to rely on Lobb in there

Fingers crossed for a 2010 like season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d really like Don Pyke in under Jlo as strategy & midfield/stoppages coach with Pyke in the box & Jlo on the bench.

Development & S&C department overhaul led by Garlick as his first big assignment.

Greater variation through the middle with more rotations so that Fyfe, Mundy & Walters aren’t stuffed by round 18. Mundy’s got 2 great years left, if he is used wisely.

The rest will take of itself with a good group coaching structure led by a quality manager style coach.

1. Tall stocks not decimated by injury please: Hogan, Lobb, Pearce and Taberner to stay healthy
2. Young players to be played in the right positions: Darcy should be our first choice ruck, Brayshaw to be a first choice centre bounce attendee, Cerra and Blakely out of the backline and into the midfield
3. Blood the next generation: Let's see what Sturt, Valente and this years draft crop has to offer please
4. For the love of God more emphasis on skill than pure effort

Freo improves and West Coast don't.
Even if Freo doesn't improve, if West Coast miss making the finals ... that'd give me enough Schadenfreude to get me through the season.

I may be a sad individual, but at least I'm honest.

1. An attacking yet balanced game style that sees us kick 100+ points more games than not, while conceding 80 or less a game.

2. A decent run with injury, especially in our spine. Hogan, Tabs and Lobb to become a lethal trio up front.

3. 12-14 wins and strong improvement in the back half of the year as we learn and adapt to Longy's style.

4. Internal growth. Sam Sturt and Luke Valente to demand early selection through strong WAFL form.

5. A surprise on the wing, Switta gets moved there to better utilise his decent skills and pace.

6. Brennan Cox to rediscover his bucket hands and under Longy's tutelage find a place in the backline.

7. Andy Brayshaw to really breakout and start racking up those 20+ disposal matches while maintaining great tackle numbers.

On SM-G611F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We simply need to get better with injuries (especially to key talls).

Earlier this year the results of a study were released about injuries to key players impacting a teams' ability to make finals. They found a strong correlation with the number of games missed by a team's top 10 players.

The table for the H&A season in the link below does match fairly well with those teams who missed finals (excepting Richmond who managed to finish 4th despite being hit supposedly hardest)

However our top 10 didn't include Lobb for instance, even though he was clearly one of our most important 10 players this year. It also didn't include Stephen Hill, who's inclusion would have taken us to easily the worst hit of all teams (with 19 missed games). And I'd argue to get a more accurate read on injury impact to key players you need to consider how important each player's role is structurally - so you might want to consider the 10 most important players/positions over the outright 10 best players.

I see the following 10 players as those that were most critical to our structure in 2019.

Player (missed games)
Fyfe (2)
Walters (0)
Mundy (0)
Pearce (11)
Hamling (0)
Lobb (7)
Hogan (10)
Taberner (12) - love him or hate him, his position is a critical structural piece
BHill (0)
Ryan (4) - I did consider Langdon instead (who missed no games) but I think Ryan is far more important.

It totals 46 games which would put us at the pointy end of the injury impact table (and that is excluding Stephen Hill). What needs to be highlighted though is our key talls missed a combined 40 of those 46 games. There is a reason it is called a spine - because it is structurally critical. You can't have it missing that many games and expect to make finals with such a relatively young team.

I know some think we like to throw mud at our S&C dept but the evidence is right there. We need to sort this out - it should be the #1 priority heading into 2020.

Please make it so Garlick/Bell/JLo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back