Traded 6. Jordan Clark (2019-2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with you Stan.
I don’t think that’s the way the clubs thinking, (recruit defensively to avoid beltings) I think they are looking for best available, however... free agency has changed everything and no one will nominate a club that’s constantly getting belted by 100+ points. It may be a happy coincidence that we have managed to get a good defensive group together.
Yep, we're definitely not looking to fall down the ladder...

Hes definitely not quick, his endurance was the standout.
I think some players have lower than average take-off speed but can have higher than average top speed... I think he is in this camp.

The way he reads the play he is usually at full flight when he intercepts on makes contact with the footy. That's exactly how Scarlett and Stewart attacked the footy as well.

That's why he was WA's brightest prospect and can look flashy, well just my thoughts anyway.

"GEELONG is confident a bout of glandular fever won't have too much of an impact on the pre-season of its first-round draft selection Jordan Clark.

Clark was diagnosed with tonsillitis and glandular fever recently, with clubs only informed about his condition late last week.

Cats list manager Stephen Wells said the club did not take into account the prospect of its No.15 pick having a delayed start to the pre-season when they decided to choose him, believing the issue to only be a "short-term thing"."
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2018-11-23/wells-delighted-to-land-clark
It is generally a short-term illness, but it must be managed incredibly well, as it weakens the immune system heavily. I knew a person that had it, then months later had cancer and within 2 years later died. Not saying this is all highly related, but it is a serious medical condition that must be managed and looked after. I'm sure he'll be fine ofc, as long as he looks after himself. I am not a medico, but I'd definitely be going light this preseason in this instance.

People only really hear about the horror stories with glandular fever, in reality majority of the population come good within a month and hell have the best medical care you could ask for, not overly worried personally.

Midfield is where some attention is needed now. Kennerley will help with that outside run we desperately need. But we are staring down at a life pretty soon without J.Selwood, Dangerfield (has a few more granted) and Ablett (albeit he has only been back one year) and Kelly. We need to get some young elite mids into the club soon. I wonder whether we will look to trade one of our high picks next year (assuming we get something of value for Kelly) for a youngish mid with an inside game ie. Cerra? Comes out of contract at the end of 2019 and not interested in re-signing apparently.

Cerra already re-signed. TBH i think our need for mids is overrated (inside mids anyway a winger with laser disposal we definitely need) even post SS and if Danger plays more forward we still have Duncan and Menegola who are very much A grade in those roles Dahlhaus can do it well (though we may want to play him forward) Parfitt is very much an inside mid once he builds his tank, Guthrie can do it depending where we choose to use him, Constable is very promising with Cockatoo the injury unknown. Long term I think Brownless will either play as an inside mid or a winger. Atkins is very capable as a depth inside mid or fwd if we need it. There's depth there and you can often get good inside mids late in drafts.

For me the KPF position with Hawkins 30 is still our major issue. Sav is coming off a broken leg Buzza is every chance to get delisted in 12 months and Kreuger is unknown. Good KPFs are hard to draft with late picks. I would be looking at trying to bring in someone like Wright who is out of contract next year and GC tend to lose a lot of players.

Cerra already re-signed. TBH i think our need for mids is overrated (inside mids anyway a winger with laser disposal we definitely need) even post SS and if Danger plays more forward we still have Duncan and Menegola who are very much A grade in those roles Dahlhaus can do it well (though we may want to play him forward) Parfitt is very much an inside mid once he builds his tank, Guthrie can do it depending where we choose to use him, Constable is very promising with Cockatoo the injury unknown. Long term I think Brownless will either play as an inside mid or a winger. Atkins is very capable as a depth inside mid or fwd if we need it. There's depth there and you can often get good inside mids late in drafts.

For me the KPF position with Hawkins 30 is still our major issue. Sav is coming off a broken leg Buzza is every chance to get delisted in 12 months and Kreuger is unknown. Good KPFs are hard to draft with late picks. I would be looking at trying to bring in someone like Wright who is out of contract next year and GC tend to lose a lot of players.

None of our young mids are stars. Not yet anyway. We will need a couple of elite kids to run through there before too long. I see the likes of Parfitt, Narkle and Constable as part of a midfield rotation but not the elite guns like we will need.

None of our young mids are stars. Not yet anyway. We will need a couple of elite kids to run through there before too long. I see the likes of Parfitt, Narkle and Constable as part of a midfield rotation but not the elite guns like we will need.

Agree.

Parfitt has shown he will make it as a creative mid but he won't be the dominant top 2 mid at the club. Constable hasn't even debuted.

We need the next 18 year old Selwood or Bartel etc coming through and that player isn't on our list yet.

We need top 10 picks to get this sort of player.

Our main draft focus next year needs to be about drafting the next no.1 and no.2 mids for the future. Parfitt would be the perfect no.3 foil mid to that, Narkle the outside runner and Fogarty the defensive 4th or 5th mid who rests forward (Like K Jack was for Syd).

I disagree on their potential Duncan (while older) is A grade Menegola posts A grade numbers despite getting very limited midfield minutes, I see elite traits in all of Parfitt Constable and Cockatoo (the last one has injury issues though). Regardless my point wasnt that its more that if we get a choice between trading for an A grade mid or A grade KPF next year I'm trading for the KPF because its hard to get them late in drafts whereas its easier to get elite mids late in drafts. Obviously there are exceptions ie every club would trade 2 x R1s for Josh Kelly because he is that good but in general KPFs are worth more.

Agree.

Parfitt has shown he will make it as a creative mid but he won't be the dominant top 2 mid at the club. Constable hasn't even debuted.

We need the next 18 year old Selwood or Bartel etc coming through and that player isn't on our list yet.

Our main draft focus next year needs to be about drafting the next no.1 and no.2 mids for the future. Parfitt would be the perfect no.3 foil mid to that, Narkle the outside runner and Fogarty the defensive 4th or 5th mid who rests forward (Like K Jack was for Syd).

Sloane-pick 44
Priddis-rookie
Swan-58
Jack-rookie
JPK-39
Parker-41
Beams-29
Crouch-23
Rockliff-PSD
Neale-58
Merrett-26
S Mitchell 36
Dahlhaus-rookie
Ling-38
Chapman-31
Duncan-28
Shuey-19

I could go on for ages really.

You get plenty of A grade mids outside the top 10 in drafts.

Go write the same list for A grade KPFs (once you exclude academy/zone players etc) its a lot smaller.

If I had a top 10 pick in this draft I would have spent it on a King not a midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Duncan and Menegola yes, the jury is out on the rest of them. Dahlhaus and Parfitt not big inside MIDs, and I wouldn’t go banking on anyone that hasn’t debuted (Constable, Brownless).

Agree.

Why can’t Parfitt be a top 2 mid at the club?

People only really hear about the horror stories with glandular fever, in reality majority of the population come good within a month and hell have the best medical care you could ask for, not overly worried personally.
We were shy on him after the Alec Waterman health issues with glandular fever but hopefully this kid is different.

Why can’t Parfitt be a top 2 mid at the club?

I think Parfitt is good. But he's a creative smaller type. Look at the second best mid at the clubs pushing for a flag by comparison. If he was top 2 he'd be tagged, how would he cope? Not a knock on him, but I just don't see him being as dominant as say a Parker or a Coniglio or a Sidebottom etc. He is best suited to being that third string creative type that gets less attention, also due to his size. That's my opinion. For us to be contending with our next rebuild I'd sure hope that we'd have at least 2 better/more dominant mids than Parfitt.

I think Parfitt is good. But he's a creative smaller type. Look at the second best mid at the clubs pushing for a flag by comparison. If he was top 2 he'd be tagged, how would he cope? Not a knock on him, but I just don't see him being as dominant as say a Parker or a Coniglio or a Sidebottom etc. He is best suited to being that third string creative type that gets less attention, also due to his size. That's my opinion. For us to be contending with our next rebuild I'd sure hope that we'd have at least 2 better/more dominant mids than Parfitt.

I reckon Parfitt could be as good as those players, less of a bull than Parker but more creative, similar to a Coniglio is what I could see him becoming.

We haven’t given Parfitt a chance yet as a full time midfielder which I’m hoping we do in 2019 as the times he has been played in there he’s been very impressive imo.

I also think Narkle is actually more of an inside player than outside too (though he’s still good on the outside), so I think he could become a very good inside midfielder alongside Parfitt if we give him the chance.

They aren’t absolute bulls like a Dangerfield/Cripps I get that but I still think if we gave them the chance inside the centre bounces full time they’d really impress. Something like Dangerfield, Parfitt & Narkle I’d love to see in centre bounces on a consistent basis in 2019 but I also understand that’s very difficult to do with Duncan, Kelly, Ablett all being in there at times + wanting to give Constable/Fogarty some time there as well.

Guess we’ll see going forward but I can definitely see Parfitt being an elite midfielder.

I think the wrong point has been taken out of my post. It was more that we need to look at drafting some A grade young mids in the next draft to replace Dangerwood. I think we need to draft some mids that are seen by us fans as being better than Parfitt. I'm not bagging Parfitt.

I'm hoping Constable will establish as a lock 22 this year, if so that will really help.On Parfitt,properly managed and coached he could be the next Bartel.

I get the hype around Constable but he hasn’t debuted. I don’t think we can expect much from him in 2019, he’ll find it very hard to get a game in the seniors given he doesnt really have a second position.

I had glandular fever and I was never able to play the piano after I had it.....
I had a cold once and I was never able to wash the dishes again.

Elite across the board is a requirement imo.. I maintain the early pick pov... and backline is an area you can seem to get secondhand's and higher picks successfully plugged into a new lineup.. but mids and forwardline? I agree on Hawkins ..we have moved our chips onto some longshots we hope it works.. and of course JS was and ealy pick , Danger was ..GA was not but developed into the equal of any early pick .. so who is our next gen mid group?

Depending on how good the 2nd level is ... if we have the young mids to take us thru the next 5-10 then lets seem them play... its hard to gauge what we need when have great players who have basically super glued them selves into that role.
Parfitt , CC ..NC5 is just too fragile but id give you him as well ..so 3 I will give you.. after that , unless I have missed someone , I don't see guys who look likely to develop into the key planks to our engine room into the 2020's. In a way it would be desirable to have Joel and Danger have injuries for a few weeks and lets see who gets asked to step up.

I agree that mids are no great hole that cant be filled but elite in any role seems to be our last hurdle that trips us up at draft..we rely on getting more from less. If we can find a couple of 23-26 year olds that become as good as Kelly ..(and want to hand around) then great. Its not just the playing either ... who do we see as our next captain? I cant see any obvious .. and its another reason why somelike xoh would have been a tick for me.

Clark look a good solid add..and my guess is Wells went with a high percentage pick..because we couldn't afford to miss again..but we also failed to get a pick early enough to really ensure a benchmark player imo. Clark may yet be one... I hope he is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back