Rookie 28: Oliver Dempsey (2021 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

Really like this rookie draft pick, nice size and great athletic traits but a footy player when I look at him. Agile fast, likes to mark overhead, not to skinny but with plenty of development to come, actually has nice muscle mass for a kid. Good arms.
I reckon we did well here, and wouldn't surprise me he shows a bit in VFL early.

A bit of Micky Turner would be great.

My brother reckons he was the 2nd best Cats player he'd seen, after Ablett Snr. Big call. I don't think he was, but I only vaguely remember him, I was a bit young then.

My brother reckons he was the 2nd best Cats player he'd seen, after Ablett Snr. Big call. I don't think he was, but I only vaguely remember him, I was a bit young then.

Gun. Watching him v Flower, Hawkins, etc some of my best footy memories as a kid. Genuine one on one contests.

Do they even make footballers like that these days?!?!

Do they even make footballers like that these days?!?!
how easy it is to forget how good Turner was especially both sides of his body... so well balanced.

Lets hope Oliver can find some of that too.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There really isn't much this kid can't do and is still a baby in footy terms.

This is a vid from a few weeks ago, so plenty have probably already seen it.

He has had a couple more big games since this one and for mine is looking like he could actually be an inside/outside mid.

Look at some of his attributes in just this game.

Overhead marking/floating through the air
Ziz zagging in traffic/agility
Picking the ball up at pace in traffic
Tuch the ball under the arm
Don't argue
Goal kicking
Possession gathering all over the ground with one of the biggest running capacities at the club
They just can't lay a glove on him

Last year he averaged 17p and 0.7 goals in the VFL and had over twenty in 3 of 14 games.

So far this year he is going at 21.5p and 1.25 goals in the VFL and had over twenty in 6 of 8 games (32pb last night).

As much as I'd love to see him getting full games this year, if it doesn't happen I'm very confident that in a couple of years that he will be a very, very good player.

He started so far behind the eight ball but just has so many tricks... Guys with this many tricks are pretty rare.

Add 5 more kilograms on him and another year or two in the system and he could be pushing elite.

There really isn't much this kid can't do and is still a baby in footy terms.

This is a vid from a few weeks ago, so plenty have probably already seen it.

He has had a couple more big games since this one and for mine is looking like he could actually be an inside/outside mid.

Look at some of his attributes in just this game.

Overhead marking/floating through the air
Ziz zagging in traffic/agility
Picking the ball up at pace in traffic
Tuch the ball under the arm
Don't argue
Goal kicking
Possession gathering all over the ground with one of the biggest running capacities at the club
They just can't lay a glove on him

Last year he averaged 17p and 0.7 goals in the VFL and had over twenty in 3 of 14 games.

So far this year he is going at 21.5p and 1.25 goals in the VFL and had over twenty in 6 of 8 games (32pb last night).

As much as I'd love to see him getting full games this year, if it doesn't happen I'm very confident that in a couple of years that he will be a very, very good player.

He started so far behind the eight ball but just has so many tricks... Guys with this many tricks are pretty rare.

Add 5 more kilograms on him and another year or two in the system and he could be pushing elite.

Club social media a while ago did a "what are you afraid of" vox pop of the players a while ago with responses like "sharks", "Spiders" etc.

Best answer: "Ollie Dempsey at 85kgs"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back