Traded 12. Cooper Stephens (2020-2022)

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
A couple of links below. Most punters had him rated in the 15-25 range. He wasn't ever really seriously considered a top 10 prospect, despite what posters around here will tell you.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...ants-academy-prospect-holds-chargers-oakleigh

Basically he has been drafted where he was ranked pre leg break. Basically changed nothing.

I can’t see any mention of him top ten

Feb 10, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Ok answer me this, what stand out attribute do you see that's going to turn this kid into a star. It's all well and good to have a go at my opinion and then not provide any facts of your own to back yours up. Cowards move pal.

I don’t make any judgment until I’ve seen a guy actually play a full game or 10. Like the recruiters who selected him. Bigfooty phantoms are great to form an expert opinion but hahaha

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Stocks_go_Up

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
The kid has a 6 pack - that has to be worth something if he can get his body in that type of shape he must have some level of motivation. The question is will injuries get the better of him - if he can stay fit than he will make it.

The kid has a 6 pack - that has to be worth something if he can get his body in that type of shape he must have some level of motivation. The question is will injuries get the better of him - if he can stay fit than he will make it.

This may be a surprise to both of us, but I agree 100% with your assessment here.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
60AA5341-6C6B-4F29-B53D-041CD87133E4.gif

BORIS332

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Ok answer me this, what stand out attribute do you see that's going to turn this kid into a star. It's all well and good to have a go at my opinion and then not provide any facts of your own to back yours up. Cowards move pal.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What standout attribute does Joel Selwood have? Athletically, absolutely nothing. It’s his on-field leadership and his character. Cooper was in the Falcons leadership group as a bottom-agree. After he broke his leg this year he was still named vice skipper of Vic Country and held roles in the coaches box. These are his stand-out traits, though he also has a ton of physical attributes that hold him in good stead: powerful athlete, big size (190cm), endurance athlete, etc.

You’re right in saying he hasn’t played yet, but asking what stand out attributes he has is a little lacking in imagination.

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I think he's a great pick necessary to stengthen our young taller midfield stocks which is basically only Constable.
With his attitude and constitution l really can't see this selection falling over as have so many 1st selections of recent years.
Probably will play early next season.

You've seen a lot more of him than most. What do you like about him?
Decision making in close is top notch and his ability to burst away from the contest and spot up a target. This kid is a jet. Without sounding like I'm coming across as harsh, we should be thankful he broke his leg earlier this year otherwise he wouldn't be on our list.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Decision making in close is top notch and his ability to burst away from the contest and spot up a target. This kid is a jet. Without sounding like I'm coming across as harsh, we should be thankful he broke his leg earlier this year otherwise he wouldn't be on our list.

I only caught a couple of his games earlier this year and he was average. But very small sample size. Reckon he'll get senior games early?

I only caught a couple of his games earlier this year and he was average. But very small sample size. Reckon he'll get senior games early?
Hard to say mate. I suppose it depends on where they see Steven playing and the development of Narkle, Constable, etc, over the pre-season. At the moment I'd say he's a definite chance to debut depending on form in the pre-season. If he debuts he won't be just making up the numbers either.

I won't be wrong with this kid.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Hard to say mate. I suppose it depends on where they see Steven playing and the development of Narkle, Constable, etc, over the pre-season. At the moment I'd say he's a definite chance to debut depending on form in the pre-season. If he debuts he won't be just making up the numbers either.

I won't be wrong with this kid.

Love your confidence. I was hoping we'd take Robertson when he slipped to our first then our second. But am happy to be completely wrong on this one.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
The leg was one factor ..but even so he could easily have been on anothers list ... for eg. if we had got a better deal offer from Carlton for eg.. they want ed 14 and 17 for 9 and a pick in the 40's.... ..and if we did upgrade he would no have been our pick. So many factors have to fall a certain way ....hopefully we will look back in a few years with the warm inner glow of how we ened up with selwood at 7.

And now that you are here ... listening to to one future draft podcast ..they had OscarH as a top10-15 in 2020... maybe those extra picks we have will give us the chance to add another falcon.

Back