Traded 12. Cooper Stephens (2020-2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is not a Darcy Lang situation - Lang was literally a shock first round selection (rated #49 in Knightmare's 2013 phantom draft) that didn't work out. Stephens has been regarded a late first rounder for 12+ months and would not have lasted beyond #20 this year.
So WTF was Wells doing drafting Lang with a first rounder lol...

So WTF was Wells doing drafting Lang with a first rounder lol...
Giving you a focal point fior your dersion.

But this is the Cooper Stevens thread.. if youd like to re-discuss Darcy Lang, there is a thread for that.

GO Catters

It wasn’t an acl.

Can clean hands be taught though? I reckon you either have it, or you don’t. He looks fumbly.
Clean hands can be taught. It was a knock on Joel Corey when he first got to the club so he trained the hell out of it and ended up becoming an elite ball winner.

The player needs to be prepared to do the work though.

That's the thing about having an opinion—others might not share it. You've expressed your opinion. Nobody has stopped you or deleted your posts.

On the matter of recruiting I choose not to have an opinion, because the following:

2 minutes of highlights are not equivalent to the hours the recruiters spend watching the player.
A short blurb on big footy or in the media about the player is not equivalent to the information recruiters hold.
I am not a recruiter. I have not spent my life in the industry.
Unlike the recruiters, I have never met the player, or spoken to his family.
Unlike the recruiters, I am not 'at the table' to discuss specific list needs.
And I recognise that drafting is pure speculation. Take even the first rounders: a few will be stars, some will have decent careers, the rest will fail completely. By the third round, the majority will not make it all.

I know we live in a culture where having an opinion is the most important thing in the world, and that an internet connection apparently makes us all experts on everything, but it's actually liberating to say— 'screw that, I don't know, others are better placed to judge, so I'll reserve judgment. I don't have an opinion.'

Like you, I wish all the players drafted the best in the hoops, and like you I hope they have great careers. But I have no idea whether they are good, bad, or indifferent picks.
Everyone please read and re-read this quote. Nail. Hammer. Head.

The thing I still haven't got a read on with Cooper is whether he is a high upside risk due to having had the broken leg, a safe choice with being a local that plays solid inside football, or whatever other variants of talent, ceiling, character, experience, composure you can have. It is hard when they have missed a year.

I do know that my Tigers buddies are filthy at their draft, and this is the reigning premier that has been pulling players like Stack and Ross from the draft of late. Nobody gets them all but I badly want to steal the Well's diary.

Looking forward to reading more and more about Cooper as the preseason wears on.

Giving you a focal point fior your dersion.

But this is the Cooper Stevens thread.. if youd like to re-discuss Darcy Lang, there is a thread for that.

GO Catters

Unfortunately ..past drafts and their results seem to seep into current outcomes and picks... and as much as I like CS.... in years to come I hope we look at the totality of the draft not just the individual pick ... We use ..P16 , P19 , P41 and P50 .... It 2700 points ..our who draft still doesnt equal the P1 in the draft. My guess is CS will deliver good value for us .. and with a bit of luck could play just as many games as the number 1 draft pick

Well this thread about Cooper Stephens turned into an anti-wells rant pretty quickly.

If you want to go grind an axe about club administration can you go start a new thread? Not Coopers fault y'all didn't want him
Applying for a dark blue tracksuit ;)

Point taken, and I'm as guilty anyone with that

As above - let's get back on track, and talk about Coops as the focus

Unfortunately ..past drafts and their results seem to seep into current outcomes and picks... and as much as I like CS.... in years to come I hope we look at the totality of the draft not just the individual pick ... We use ..P16 , P19 , P41 and P50 .... It 2700 points ..our who draft still doesnt equal the P1 in the draft. My guess is CS will deliver good value for us .. and with a bit of luck could play just as many games as the number 1 draft pick

Please don’t use draft points in that manner, it’s not what they’re for and you’ll give me an aneurysm.

I listened to the Cats podcast this morning with Troy Selwood and he said something like “You always worry whether the blokes you draft will make it. We pick blokes that we know will give it everything, so if it doesn’t work out then so be it.” I think Stephens fits this bill perfectly, seems like an outstanding character.

HAHAHA - THAT WAS GOLD. A bit like Don Pyke back in the days at WCE.

Okay, now here's a stat I wasn't aware of. That's okay, not a line breaker, but enough for stoppages.

I have to disagree with you here mate. The reason being we are looking at his "Highlights". If his Highlights are "fumbly" then what are his Lowlights and average pieces of play like?

100% agree on DeKoning. Must be the shutdown defender or CHB.

I'll say this then, where is the "highlights" from his footage?!

Same as above, have they purposely hidden the "highlights" in this case!?
These kids aren’t in the AFL - there wont be footage of anywhere near all their games
Recruiters get feedback from their vast network of spotters and assistants and reinforce that by firsthand viewing where required which is most of the time I’d suspect
Highlight tapes for these kids is indicative - Rowell and Anderson look good but not too different to other fancied mids whilst De Kooning looked better than McAsey IMHO
Tapes are fine as part of the mix but there’s so much more to consider - like leadership , determination and dedication for instance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reminder - this is the Cooper Stephens thread. Please keep the focus of discussion on topic & centred around Cooper

If you wish to talk about our drafting in general, what Wells has or hasn't got right or how other teams have gone in their drafting efforts - there are more appropriate threads for such discussion points

Off-topic posts have been moved to the Stephen Wells thread this time - may not be so kind in the future for OT postings

Boris... before I respond .... You request me not to use the points in a DVI chart as a reference? Why? How any post of mine can give you a health issue another question.

DVI is simply a flawed system used to facilitate the bidding system. It’s nothing more. It can’t be used to compare values of picks, e.g. pick 1 isn’t really worth 20% more than pick 2, Rowell isn’t 20% better than Anderson. It’s nonsense and has been misused/misinterpreted in the media and on this forum.

That's the thing about having an opinion—others might not share it. You've expressed your opinion. Nobody has stopped you or deleted your posts.

On the matter of recruiting I choose not to have an opinion, because the following:

2 minutes of highlights are not equivalent to the hours the recruiters spend watching the player.
A short blurb on big footy or in the media about the player is not equivalent to the information recruiters hold.
I am not a recruiter. I have not spent my life in the industry.
Unlike the recruiters, I have never met the player, or spoken to his family.
Unlike the recruiters, I am not 'at the table' to discuss specific list needs.
And I recognise that drafting is pure speculation. Take even the first rounders: a few will be stars, some will have decent careers, the rest will fail completely. By the third round, the majority will not make it all.

I know we live in a culture where having an opinion is the most important thing in the world, and that an internet connection apparently makes us all experts on everything, but it's actually liberating to say— 'screw that, I don't know, others are better placed to judge, so I'll reserve judgment. I don't have an opinion.'

Like you, I wish all the players drafted the best in the hoops, and like you I hope they have great careers. But I have no idea whether they are good, bad, or indifferent picks.
POTY if there was such a thing, imho.

Does anyone have any pre season draft content about where he was rated before his leg break??

A couple of links below. Most punters had him rated in the 15-25 range. He wasn't ever really seriously considered a top 10 prospect, despite what posters around here will tell you.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...ants-academy-prospect-holds-chargers-oakleigh

A couple of links below. Most punters had him rated in the 15-25 range. He wasn't ever really seriously considered a top 10 prospect, despite what posters around here will tell you.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...ants-academy-prospect-holds-chargers-oakleigh

Cameron Taheny ranked in the top 10 as of April 2019 according to the first link you posted!

Cameron Taheny ranked in the top 10 as of April 2019 according to the first link you posted!
Cant have the cake and eat it too...

We got a steal by getting Taheny at pick 16 when he was a top 10 prospect, and a bigger steal by getting Stephens at pick 50, when he was rated 15-25.... 🤔

Remove this Banner Ad

Back