Senior 16. Sam De Koning (2020 -)

Remove this Banner Ad

My initial impression is the kid plays too 'nice' and he will have issues adjusting to the intensity of AFL and won't make it with his slight frame. But I'm trying to be positive so lets just pretend he will turn into Grundy or Scarlett. We will keep him on our list for a long time because he is 200cm+ and my best bet he will have issues with injuries. Doesn't mean he isn't a nice kid - just don't think he has 'it' - hopefully he proves me wrong.
Same was said about tom lonergan.

Get ready to see De Koning on the wing...

SAM De Koning was named at full-back in the under-18 All-Australian team, but he’s more than comfortable if a move further up the field will earn him a crack at AFL level.

Geelong recruiting boss Stephen Wells was quick to hose down talk of De Koning being the heir apparent for to veteran defender Harry Taylor following last week’s National Draft – and it appears that conversation has been had with the former Dandenong Stingrays.

“That was the huge thing during the interview process with Wells,” De Koning said.

“He spoke to me about whether I can play other positions, and am I willing to play those, and I was all for it. I’m here to learn, and I’m here to learn the craft of footy.

“I love every aspect of the game, so to have so many players to get information off, whether that be in the backline, in the ruck, or up forward, I’m really keen to do so.

“Anywhere the coach wants me I’ll play.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, he should be a good player. Like these tall athletic types that can intercept mark. Who knows, could even become a Naughton type and play both ends.

I wouldn't play him in the ruck though... would rather use his marking powers as a bookend.

We could always talk to his brother at Carlton , at lot depends on how we go this year.

Sam was the one pick I wanted in the draft. I have never gone and said out loud about a player I think will make it since L Colbert but I do think Sam will be a good player for this club

His game against WA was amazing. I'd love to see his contested and intercept mark stats from that game. He would've taken 4-6 in the first quarter alone.

Been impressed by the highlights. To similar to Henderson imo. Both will play well but make the backline collectively worse with their lack of pace. I don't think either can lock down on a tall forward. Last year's draft was very weak for tall forwards so hard to get a good read

Yeah, he should be a good player. Like these tall athletic types that can intercept mark. Who knows, could even become a Naughton type and play both ends.

I wouldn't play him in the ruck though... would rather use his marking powers as a bookend.
Doesn't have the leap to ruck. Has the marking to maybe play forward though

Sam was the one pick I wanted in the draft. I have never gone and said out loud about a player I think will make it since L Colbert but I do think Sam will be a good player for this club
Do you remember why we picked him? Was it because another club was interested?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back