Senior 9. Max Holmes (2021-)

Remove this Banner Ad

I know nothing about Max so can’t comment on him as a player and I wish him a long career at the cats.

I am totally confused as to why we would trade next years first round pick for pick 20 this year. That is crazy!

I would have thought our future first round would have been worth pick 12-15 in this draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, these are my feelings too. Club must be backing themselves to finish top next year - which you'd expect, but at the same time....damn that's risky.
They have to assume they will given they've traded in so much old talent. Problem is, though, if it doesn't work out they're left with a very old list that will be in desperate need of rebuilding, and they'll have to turn around and tell supporters, "well, we'll have to wait till 2022 to get any top young talent in".

I know nothing about Max so can’t comment on him as a player and I wish him a long career at the cats.

I am totally confused as to why we would trade next years first round pick for pick 20 this year. That is crazy!

I would have thought our future first round would have been worth pick 12-15 in this draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume Wells must REALLY like Holmes, saw he hadn't been picked up in the first 19 picks and decided he needed to trade up to get him before he was picked up by someone else.

Who gives a fu** what pringles and coke eating couch potatoes think. Not one person on the drafts board is on a recruiting team at an afl club.

Bunch of know nothing bums. Knightmare et al excepted.
I agree we dont know about value. But we do know expectations. And you extract value by trading based off those expectations.

The only logical conclusion is that we really, really rate him. The trade on paper looks crazy but clearly that's what we needed to give up to get it done and if we rate him better than our future first then obviously it's the right thing to do. Good luck to him and his athletic abilities are super impressive. Our record on picking massive bolters is pretty good so here's hoping it works out. We tend to struggle when we reach by picking typical juniors 10-15 picks ahead of where they're rated.

Who gives a fat rat's tossicle what the majority think. Wells doesn't survey BF to make decisions.

Huge upside. We drafted a stunning athlete, arguably up there with Blicavs. Better than anything we've seen in a long time with good size. Wanted by other clubs too though.

This is the year we have to trust recruiters and good ones.

Hawkins is 33 next year. He aint going to be around when this kid is playing afl.
But the FA who Max can learn from will be playing the next two years by which time he will be a ready-made replacement for Smith

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume Wells must REALLY like Holmes, saw he hadn't been picked up in the first 19 picks and decided he needed to trade up to get him before he was picked up by someone else.

I think we wanted him at 27 (33) but a lot of the late mail had him to melbourne at 21 so we decided we couldnt afford to let him go and thats obviously the only price richmond would deal for. Time will tell if we overpaid or not.

I think we wanted him at 27 (33) but a lot of the late mail had him to melbourne at 21 so we decided we couldnt afford to let him go and thats obviously the only price richmond would deal for. Time will tell if we overpaid or not.
I sense another Mackie type selection.

I sense another Mackie type selection.

I love the pick he has all the tools for the modern game and athletically he is off the charts.
I just dont like trading future 1sts for kids when you cant be guaranteed it wont be a top 10 pick.
If we traded a future 2nd id think its great.
But we had to get ahead to stop melbourne taking him so time will tell if it was worth it.

1 game in two years was worth trading a future R1 for in a fantastic deep draft?

This a Lang/thurlow type wells selection?

Maybe not. Maybe it is. But it’s a hell of a lot to pay when next year we’d have a pick 10-18 with a deeper group and more info to work on. On that alone it’s a terrible decision on face value.

Holmes needs to become a gun to prove it right. Feel for the kid and best of luck to him

To jump up the order and be willing to give up our first round draft pick next season in what will be a much more known draft and apparently deeper draft suggests a few things to me;

1. they are confident of being a flag contender and our pick will be 15-20 range and most likely won’t net a top order talent.
2. Because they feel they won’t get a top order talent with their first pick next year, they backed themselves in to draft what they believe could have potentially been a top line kid (5-10 range) if given exposure by trading next years pick to secure a better talent this year with that similar range pick.
High risk high reward with the limited exposure. Can go completely either direction. That pick 20ish the top line midfielders are always gone as well.

In a traditional draft you generally get a decent ok player around pick 20, but you don’t get a standout. I assume from this wells thinks Holmes has huge upside and a potential draft gem. As opposed to the more safe option and the known player available next year at 20, which are frankly often a lot of those medium flanker in betweeners like venables etc.

Also probably feel they have a great hand given 3x second round picks already and in a deeper draft, probably still feel they can bag good talent still.

I know we like our mature aged recruits but drafting my old man is taking it a bit far.

The best I can offer is disjointed observations ..but till we see what we have who can do much better... was there any vision at all. Is it one game in two years ?

The club and SW continues to show they rate combine testing measurements. .... yet there were other players they could have drafted that also did well in testing like Sharp or Rosman. ..so we like something more than just his Combine result

Using our Fr1 is disappointing based on the reasoning that had been pushed by several "experts" , next years draft strength etc etc. In that sense any ideas of potentially get into the early picks next year seems off the table for the moment. Single figure draft picks etc. Its not so much if this kid was worth picking , other clubs certainly seemed to be willing to jump in the 20-30 range , its more about opportunity loss and future pick value risk. If we had not yet put all the chips all into next year being a must finish top 4 , then I think we have now. Even if it is a late R1.. add a Fr2 to that pick we may have had a very early pick...
I maintain its single figure picks that we have not drafted who our who list build lacks... when was the last Premiership team that lacked a single figure draft pick player that was drafted by that team? .... but for the moment thats done... so we move on.

The kid may or may not be a player that yet to be determined... only time will tell if we have made the right call. Basically the same with any pick.

Last edited:
Article in the Australian said he was playing firsts for Grammar in Year 10, so they clearly have a better idea of what he is as a footballer than the four games in two years suggests. But it still feels like a massive risk - only other thing I can think of in its favour is that we're all assuming we have a relatively normal season next year and there's no guarantee that will be the case, so better to have a bird in hand.

The only logical conclusion is that we really, really rate him. The trade on paper looks crazy but clearly that's what we needed to give up to get it done and if we rate him better than our future first then obviously it's the right thing to do. Good luck to him and his athletic abilities are super impressive. Our record on picking massive bolters is pretty good so here's hoping it works out. We tend to struggle when we reach by picking typical juniors 10-15 picks ahead of where they're rated.
Correct- it's the only conclusion

The other thing is this year with Vic players not being exposed because of Covid, there could be genuine gems out there hidden away, perhaps such as Max.

Speculative yes but I back the club in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back