Senior 9. Max Holmes (2021-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it part of our approach in keeping our selection choices secure .?
Wellsy has spoken before about the secretive nature of recruiting and not to let anyone know what we are planning. And it's not just Wells or even footy as illustrated in this article about the guy who 'discovered' Gareth Bale

It always amazes me in this day and age how many Geelong draftees say they had very little contact with our recruiting team.

Not right or wrong just seems like we do it differently
Interviews can be a giant red herring i think. You'd get more talking to their coaches probably

Early days ..he does come across as someone who has not come thru the meat grinder.. just a little different. The comment ..I kind of assumed I’d be going before Geelong’s first pick... He thought he would be gone before our pick at 33 ? Confident ? Cocky?

I doubt anyone has concern if he can handle the running component of training .. putting some meat on his bones may be more of a challenge.
Cocky, or was just given some assurances by Melbourne the way sav was by the crows

yeah, exactly right. If they were genuinely keen on him they wouldn’t have traded their puck to us. Just doesn’t make sense. Must have been Melbourne. It’s weird how he suddenly jumps into contention and somehow teams are interested when before nobody was talking about the bloke. Knightmare didn’t have him in his top 75 abs his research is pretty thorough.
Good to get the Kiwi perspective ...

whats the sav story?
He'd spoken at length with the Crows and they had told him they were taking him with their pick which was directly after ours. We'd not really spoken much to him and selected him the pick before.

There was a story when he was drafted about it. He was up getting a drink so he could be sitting down for the crows to read out his name, then he had his name called and thought 'I thought the cats were selecting now, crows are next'

Crows selected Myles Poholke at the next pick, since delisted

He thought he would be gone before our pick at 33 ? Confident ? Cocky?
Assume because a few other clubs had talked to him and given him some indication he would be picked up before 33.

Maybe a sign of the times that people can be offended by the language of past generations and, most amusingly of all, an entirely fictional character

It is the Age to be Enraged.
Just have a look at social media.

or Holmes however, it was a completely unexpected move.

“I haven’t spoken to the club in months,” he said.

“I spoke to them maybe in August or September and I haven’t spoken to them since.

“It was a great interview (back then), I really enjoyed it and they were really good guys. Troy (Selwood), Shaun Grigg and Stephen Wells, they were all really great.

“I just didn’t worry about them because they didn’t have the picks this year and I guess they wanted to keep it on the down low that they were interested.

“I had in mind maybe Richmond because I had actually been speaking to them in the last couple of weeks and then they made the trade I was like ‘oh well’.

VICTORIAN SET TO BURST OUT OF THE BLOCKS AND INTO THE FIRST ROUND

Little known Victorian Max Holmes is poised to be one of the shocks of the top 25 after gaining interest from multiple AFL clubs.

Foxfooty.com.au understands Richmond (Pick 17), Melbourne (Pick 18 and 19), St Kilda (Pick 21) and Hawthorn (Pick 24) are among the clubs eyeing-off the dashing midfielder at the pointy end of the draft, despite the Melbourne Grammar product being virtually unseen on the football field.

The former where he thought he might get taken at Richmond's first pick, as he'd been talking to them in the last couple of weeks, and then the latter where
fox footy states the clubs all interested in him, seems to line up with what Wells and co. thought on draft night, IMO

players get drafted were they are truly rated which is where head recruiters of each club are wanting to select them the earliest.

why there seems to be some debate or problem with Holmes being rated pick 20 is odd. He is rated where he is picked, and until draft night it was simply unreveiled, then the curtain got raised and everyone saw the real rankings.

max Holmes is a pick 20. End of story, nobody needs to justify it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems a lot of big footy posters should submit resumes to AFL clubs as scouts. Wish I knew as much about all these draftees as some do

fair dinkum. At the expensive of sounding a virtue signaler, these kids are 18 years old and footy fanatics, and it’s extremely realistic they have big footy accounts as many do.

the kid genuinely seemed to be smiling from ear to ear at us drafting him. Fancy him wandering on here afterwards and seeing some of the bashing from his clubs fans.

poor bugger, good job cleaning it mods.

end of virtue signal rant.

fair dinkum. At the expensive of sounding a virtue signaler, these kids are 18 years old and footy fanatics, and it’s extremely realistic they have big footy accounts as many do.

the kid genuinely seemed to be smiling from ear to ear at us drafting him. Fancy him wandering on here afterwards and seeing some of the bashing from his clubs fans.

poor bugger, good job cleaning it mods.

end of virtue signal rant.
I would advise any player strongly to never visit bigfooty

I would advise any player strongly to never visit bigfooty

im Sure the clubs advise them vehemently not to do so. But I can tell you from first hand experience having had the privilege to spend periods of time inside a few of the foooty club walls since I was young, that players certainly do read articles and get very curious what is written.

wont disclose which club, but each morning they would put out the paper on the main kitchen bench and the players when on their breaks would stand there reading the news articles of the sports section.. and when it was about themselves or the club it got interesting.

I guess it’s human nature to want to know this stuff, much like dying to hear the gossip being said about you within family and friend circles. They are only human

Honestly, I doubt any whispers that come out about who Geelong after and who they want etc. Geelong are too good at zipping their lips shut and diverting attention. I think most of the time if its consensus that Geelong want someone, they clearly don't want them.

im Sure the clubs advise them vehemently not to do so. But I can tell you from first hand experience having had the privilege to spend periods of time inside a few of the foooty club walls since I was young, that players certainly do read articles and get very curious what is written.

wont disclose which club, but each morning they would put out the paper on the main kitchen bench and the players when on their breaks would stand there reading the news articles of the sports section.. and when it was about themselves or the club it got interesting.

I guess it’s human nature to want to know this stuff, much like dying to hear the gossip being said about you within family and friend circles. They are only human
Articles at least there is a name on it and an accountability for what's printed. Internet superheroes have no such transparency

His highlights on the Cats website doesn't really scream super fast. He does have a good hand-pass though, and he seems like he can hit a target by foot. Kind of hoping he is not one of those players that are really quick on the track, but doesn't play quick on the ground. Let's see anyway, he does seem to have some skills, and he is a bit more advanced skills wise than say Blicavs when he joined the club. Let's see, too early to make any calls on this guy.

Articles at least there is a name on it and an accountability for what's printed. Internet superheroes have no such transparency

very true. Players and clubs can hold journalists accountable for what they write. They rely on the clubs co operations for their livelihood of information and interviews.

the kid strikes me a genuine good well rounded kid. Can see him becoming apart of the leadership group in 5-7 years time during his projected development.

His highlights on the Cats website doesn't really scream super fast. He does have a good hand-pass though, and he seems like he can hit a target by foot. Kind of hoping he is not one of those players that are really quick on the track, but doesn't play quick on the ground. Let's see anyway, he does seem to have some skills, and he is a bit more advanced skills wise than say Blicavs when he joined the club. Let's see, too early to make any calls on this guy.

I think the club would have loved that a lot of his work in the exhibition game was in tight around contests using the ball creatively by hand and foot to good options. Shows he has a multitude of strings to his bow and not just an outside burst player. Seems to be composed in traffic and makes sound decisions from the footage which repeatedly showed this.

the scene which really showcased his immense upside that combined his athleticism and skills was the scene were he started behind his opponent on the wing and out positioned him, then quickly overran him and motored on.

huge upside and you can see why wells was so keen to get him.

189cm athletic lightning quick skilled midfielders don’t jut grow on trees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back