Senior 9. Max Holmes (2021-)

Remove this Banner Ad

His highlights on the Cats website doesn't really scream super fast. He does have a good hand-pass though, and he seems like he can hit a target by foot. Kind of hoping he is not one of those players that are really quick on the track, but doesn't play quick on the ground. Let's see anyway, he does seem to have some skills, and he is a bit more advanced skills wise than say Blicavs when he joined the club. Let's see, too early to make any calls on this guy.
His highlights from what looked no better than under16 standard won't be why he made it on to an AFL list,he's been selected on other evidence and criteria is my guess.Lots of work still required to get this kid up to standard.

Listened to an interview wit Lee Naylor on SEN...

Several listeners then said they wished they had drafted the young man 'Mansion' (What is a max house or home if not a Mansion)

She talked about him in a athletics background , how he was very used to the idea of controlling what one can control.... and for a Saints family , are just so happy with the way Geelong has welcomed him and them into the family.

Like the selection or not , imo I think we just trust the club and one can not be be proud of the way we go about it. Im sure other clubs do a great job as well but it seems we do it as well as anyone.

His highlights from what looked no better than under16 standard won't be why he made it on to an AFL list,he's been selected on other evidence and criteria is my guess.Lots of work still required to get this kid up to standard.

The highlights are from a NAB league game in 2019 and a trial match this year. It's definitely under 18 not under 16 and the same level of footy all the other Vic draftees played to get drafted.

Just think he will need 2 years in the system, to develop his body before he's right to go in the AFL, and that is fine considering we now have Isaac Smith in the team, along with Jordan Clark pushing for a spot.

Just think he will need 2 years in the system, to develop his body before he's right to go in the AFL, and that is fine considering we now have Isaac Smith in the team, along with Jordan Clark pushing for a spot.

He will be doing his job for the next two years if he hits the gym ..and meanwhile play and bit of VFL and be a pacemaker on the track

SEN obviously see a story with our P20..

Noticed in that interview he spoke about training legs when he had a broken arm and couldn't do much else. Thought I'd look around for some photos to see if he looked like he'd gained mass in the process or if he'd remained skinny. Found this photo of his quads:

images (4).jpeg

So looks like if he trains arms he'll fill out.

While I was there I looked around for a similar height draftee with similar sprint numbers as a junior to see what body shape we might see him blossom into and found this:

20201215_204014.jpg 80061bee1af42964e351474a759f1087.jpg

Maybe they think wing is the wrong position. Didn't he get 11 contested possessions in that trial match?

Noticed in that interview he spoke about training legs when he had a broken arm and couldn't do much else. Thought I'd look around for some photos to see if he looked like he'd gained mass in the process or if he'd remained skinny. Found this photo of his quads:

View attachment 1028794

While I was there I looked around for a similar height draftee with similar sprint numbers as a junior to see what body shape we might see him blossom into and found this:

View attachment 1028802View attachment 1028798

Maybe they think wing is the wrong position. Didn't he get 11 contested possessions in that trial match?

Doesnt Danger look like he needs a feed... good comparison idea... if he has the same sort of power to break away ..who knows.

View attachment 1028794

View attachment 1028802View attachment 1028798

I reckon Holmes will be more like an Isaac Smith frame when he fills out.

Btw, did you know this about Isaac Smith in his draft year?

I reckon Holmes will be more like an Isaac Smith frame when he fills out.

Btw, did you know this about Isaac Smith in his draft year?
Nice. Got there on the end

Yeah I'm not arguing really strongly either way, just that it's too early to tell what kind of player he'll be

Not worried about Holmes size. Look at his legs in today’s photos. They are enormous quads for a kid. He’s been training as a 400m runner and hurdler (3rd and 1st in Australia) not a footballer.

Also his family were all big units (mum and uncle). He could really fill out into that Dangerfield type build in a couple of year. It would be gold if he grew another 2 or 3 cms

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not worried about Holmes size. Look at his legs in today’s photos. They are enormous quads for a kid. He’s been training as a 400m runner and hurdler (3rd and 1st in Australia) not a footballer.

Also his family were all big units (mum and uncle). He could really fill out into that Dangerfield type build in a couple of year. It would be gold if he grew another 2 or 3 cms

It's pretty normal to underestimate how much a draftee can change their body type after being selected especially if they haven't been trying to bulk up. Look at this about Nat Fyfe at draft time:

"Slim build and lacks body on body strength/balance in 1-1 duels – there may be some concerns about his ability to bulk up"

It's pretty normal to underestimate how much a draftee can change their body type after being selected especially if they haven't been trying to bulk up. Look at this about Nat Fyfe at draft time:

"Slim build and lacks body on body strength/balance in 1-1 duels – there may be some concerns about his ability to bulk up"

Concerns would have been fairly justified at the time I guess
images (4).jpeg

Who was the uncle? Just went to google and couldn't find anything. Lee definitely a unit in her day

Concerns would have been fairly justified at the time I guess
View attachment 1029525

I've had a chat to him at a few functions - he's a very articulate , impressive guy......plus he's a formidable physical specimen , has also put a bit of height on since being drafted.

I've had a chat to him at a few functions - he's a very articulate , impressive guy......plus he's a formidable physical specimen , has also put a bit of height on since being drafted.
He comes across as a genuinely great guy as well. Hard not to like him

“Little known Victorian Max Holmes is poised to be one of the shocks of the top 25 after gaining interest from multiple AFL clubs.

Foxfooty.com.au understands Richmond (Pick 17), Melbourne (Pick 18 and 19), St Kilda (Pick 21) and Hawthorn (Pick 24) are among the clubs eyeing-off the dashing midfielder at the pointy end of the draft, despite the Melbourne Grammar product being virtually unseen on the football field.”

From the Fox Sports article
Another athlete, let’s see if he can play?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back