Senior 9. Max Holmes (2021-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn’t Shane have a positive doping test back in his sprinting days?
Only thing I could find on google was Shane Naylor the power lifter backing the guy calling for stricter regulation in regards to doping. Sounds like a no.

Only thing I could find on google was Shane Naylor the power lifter backing the guy calling for stricter regulation in regards to doping. Sounds like a no.

Stricter regs in power lifting with doping - is that you can't dose yourself up to the neck but not the eyeballs with anabolics? I could have sworn he was linked to doping but might be wrong.

Stricter regs in power lifting with doping - is that you can't dose yourself up to the neck but not the eyeballs with anabolics? I could have sworn he was linked to doping but might be wrong.
Yeah maybe but usually if it's in the news it's Google-able. In 2020 no one can escape their past

Another athlete, let’s see if he can play?

Thats a question ? ? ?

Plenty of footballers can not handle afl and every player in the AFL would be an athlete in everyman terms. No doubt Holmes has special qualities and genetics. The question is not so much can he play but what the game demands will be in 3 or 4 years. Less or more subs, Longer season or shorter and can his athletic abilities be his difference.

I reckon Holmes will be more like an Isaac Smith frame when he fills out.

Btw, did you know this about Isaac Smith in his draft year?

Yes remember that.. roads not taken

Thats a question ? ? ?

Plenty of footballers can not handle afl and every player in the AFL would be an athlete in everyman terms. No doubt Holmes has special qualities and genetics. The question is not so much can he play but what the game demands will be in 3 or 4 years. Less or more subs, Longer season or shorter and can his athletic abilities be his difference.

I think the question for every draftee (and every player) should absolutely be can he play.

Can he mark, kick, or handpass would be right behind them.

Heard today that a coach he had in Melb Grammar said he was the best prospect he’s seen come from the school. This guy has worked at at least 2 AFL clubs as well. Fair wrap for him...
I got done by this kind of statement once... Simon Beasley said Billie Smedts was the best under 18 player he'd seen.

I guess the comment from both are accurate as its their opinion based on their vision and experience - ive just taken less weight on those statements since...

That said, im still very excited to see Holmes progression over the first 2-3 years.

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got done by this kind of statement once... Simon Beasley said Billie Smedts was the best under 18 player he'd seen.

I guess the comment from both are accurate as its their opinion based on their vision and experience - ive just taken less weight on those statements since...

That said, im still very excited to see Holmes progression over the first 2-3 years.

GO Catters

Good post, Daz. With the obvious conclusion being that 'the Pieman' really needs to get out more often.

:cool:

GO Catters
Smedts did look real good though. I think the problem might of been that he knew it.

GO Catters
I think Budda said Bizzel was like GA sr... it depends on what one sees I guess. I have moved from what a player is in jrs being a solid indicator of what tehy are in afl... its why I say get them in and lets see what we have. Sdek could be the bets ruck we have had for a while ..and Neal could be our new FF.. lets just see how the talent evolves.

Holmes has some attributes that others do not. Its a good start. I have heard it over and over that player need a one wood .. that the can stand next to an other extremely talented person and say .. I have him with this or that. If he adds size , and has a degree of footy talent then who knows what we have. It nice to be optimistic.. his deficiencies will show soon enough.

The Cats haven't been in cooee of a top 5 pick in decades, and bar some strange circumstances that you could not make up, the Cats top pick in the next few years will be a distant orbit of any top 10 players. Knowing this, some left of centre choices are required to maximise the clubs opportunity to get the best talent in the door. Holmes, if uninjured, or if he could play another year of under 18 was clearly considered a high end pick. We all hope this is an inspired pick.

This got me wondering...what AFL players have come from Melbourne Grammar? Hawkins is on the list, but I assume he was before this coach's time.

Watched hawkins play at underage level for melbourne grammar a few times as i have always had family at APS schools.. My god he was some player.

One game i watched him i literally dont think he dropped a single mark kicked his direction iften in big packs or 2-3 against him, and he wasnt adverse to thr big speccies as a high leaping kid.

Probably kicked about 8-10 goals along with 30 or so marks.

Cant say i have seen anything as dominant at any level, and he was year 11 at the time

I think Budda said Bizzel was like GA sr... [ SNIP].

Bizzel did have a number of moments where he looked to be "special" if not quite GASr special but a very exciting prospect.

There lies the problem. Can a kid who at U18 / state league level produces highlights, produce enough highlights per game at AFL level or at least be productive between highlights to play 100games at AFL level.

Bizzel (on checking) played 163 all up. Roughly half at Geelong before being traded? out. Some one wasn't happy with his overall production maybe.

Bizzel did have a number of moments where he looked to be "special" if not quite GASr special but a very exciting prospect.

There lies the problem. Can a kid who at U18 / state league level produces highlights, produce enough highlights per game at AFL level or at least be productive between highlights to play 100games at AFL level.

Bizzel (on checking) played 163 all up. Roughly half at Geelong before being traded? out. Some one wasn't happy with his overall production maybe.

i was a bit shocked at the time to see Bizzell traded out; he was close to our most exciting player in a relatively bland Geelong team and when he got it right he was fairly dangerous - the rest of his career at the Demons was fairly productive when he was fit to play, too ..

can’t check atm but from my foggy memory I think we may have ended up doing quite well from the trade?

i was a bit shocked at the time to see Bizzell traded out; he was close to our most exciting player in a relatively bland Geelong team and when he got it right he was fairly dangerous - the rest of his career at the Demons was fairly productive when he was fit to play, too ..

can’t check atm but from my foggy memory I think we may have ended up doing quite well from the trade?

It is a while ago now so I cant remember the exact details of Bissel going... but 2001 was his last year at Geelong. So the coincides with the Thompson era cleanout. Sometime you take a step back to load up to go forward I beleive we got 17 and 41..which meant he allowed us to pick Kelly and Playfair.

You do not get reasonable picks without a player being attractive... a bit like another Kelly recently

GO Catters
I reckon Billie was one of our lame duck selections I'm pretty sure he came with an hereditary hip problem requiring surgery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back