Senior 10: Mitch Knevitt (2021 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

Said it before and I'll say it again

If he was 185cm rather than 193 he's not getting picked this early.

It's the fascination of clubs wanting the next Bont when almost all of them end up more like Jansen and Constable.

Good luck to him and I wish him all the best of course, but just don't see the talent myself and I'm hardly on my Pat Malone there

But he uses his height. He takes good contested marks around the ground, he wouldn't be able to do that at 185cm.

I wonder what we see him as. If it's a Bontempelli or Cripps type midfielder I don't really see it. He just doesn't look smart enough with ball in hand or have that natural desire to break tackles.

But maybe we see him as a future Blicavs being fairly defensive around stoppages or even playing on a wing and then using his running power to push hard back and forward. Certainly his athleticism gives us more options and he looked switched on defensively from what I've seen. If he does success in that role he'll frustrate many around here but will make us a far better side than without him.

He's ours now so I'm backing him in completely.

Pretty concerned with his kicking to be honest, but his marking looks great.

While it obviously doesn’t work for everyone, every interview I’ve ever heard from a coach about a Gaelic convert or someone brought across from another sport is that the easiest thing to teach and improve in a player is their kicking so hopefully the skills coaches can sort that out

Said it before and I'll say it again

If he was 185cm rather than 193 he's not getting picked this early.

It's the fascination of clubs wanting the next Bont when almost all of them end up more like Jansen and Constable.

Good luck to him and I wish him all the best of course, but just don't see the talent myself and I'm hardly on my Pat Malone there
Jansen and Constable can't mark at the pointy end like that.

On moto e(7) using BigFooty.com mobile app

He was one I wanted earlier on in the year so I'm quietly happy. Good luck to him

Im very happy. Mids of his size and combination of acceleration and endurance (see his 2ktime) and marking overhead are hard to get. He has some finesse to find in his game but he could be literally anything.

To any keen falcons watchers...how do Knevitt and Stephens compare? Can they play in the same side? Or have we picked Knevitt because Coop isn't working out?

We need them both to work out..cooper is a clearance mid whereas knevitt is a better mark and has the ability to play on all 3 lines.

But he uses his height. He takes good contested marks around the ground, he wouldn't be able to do that at 185cm.

Yep and he has the endurance and positional versatility that constable type players dont. Way different player.

Seems to have a good pair of hands, I wonder if he'll be seen by the club as more of a utility swingman than a mid?

I can honestly see him starting out as a marking forward..has the attributes for it (or even intercept defender) who becomes a fulltime mid eventually. Has the running power to play wing too.

Im very happy. Mids of his size and combination of acceleration and endurance (see his 2ktime) and marking overhead are hard to get. He has some finesse to find in his game but he could be literally anything.

one thing....he got a lot of the footy in that footage (from one game), but yes, he looks raw..

That said, it's a bit early to be making definitive judgements on the kid I would have thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always worry that peeps expect AFL gun level highlights from kids when the reality is that they need to develop. Your Mackies', Enrights', etc had pretty s**t highlights as juniors with lots of "questions" about them . . . Let's trust the professionals who think they can become excellent???

I think people are a bit scarred by Constable and Jansen when it comes to tall mids at Geelong. I'm not saying he'll be a huge success, but I wouldn't be writing him off yet either. He'll need time to develop - he's going to have to get a lot bigger to make his strengths work at AFL level. I wouldn't expect to see him in the ones next year unless he has an all-time preseason on the weights.

Are we seeing the passing of the batton?
No left-field selection from Wellsy we went with the two expected selections for a change
Geelong boys - no risk of home sickness

I think people are a bit scarred by Constable and Jansen when it comes to tall mids at Geelong. I'm not saying he'll be a huge success, but I wouldn't be writing him off yet either. He'll need time to develop - he's going to have to get a lot bigger to make his strengths work at AFL level. I wouldn't expect to see him in the ones next year unless he has an all-time preseason on the weights.

He is a way different player type to those two. Better endurance much more athletic and has way better burst speed and marking. Chalk and cheese.

Can see he has some attributes but I preferred others. The modern game needs midfielders that can run and carry, be deadly by foot - he just doesn’t look (at this stage) to have that in his game. Hope I’m wrong.

Plenty of gun mids arent deadly by foot. But to be a gun thesedays you need a good contest game and endurance and he has both in spades plus athletic.ability.

Go Catters

He is a way different player type to those two. Better endurance much more athletic and has way better burst speed and marking. Chalk and cheese.
Yeah, exactly. It just feels like people always hyped them up and they turned out to be busts, so we've reverted to tall mids rarely making it on this board. The reality is players of all sizes can be busts. Maybe tall players are more regularly because clubs are more likely to reach on height as a trait, but this one didn't feel like a reach.

I always worry that peeps expect AFL gun level highlights from kids when the reality is that they need to develop. Your Mackies', Enrights', etc had pretty sh*t highlights as juniors with lots of "questions" about them . . . Let's trust the professionals who think they can become excellent???
Joel Corey wasn't the best kick to begin with and got it right over time (most of the time ... there was always a game here or there where it went a little awry). If Knevitt can get to a level similar to that then we are on a winner.

While it obviously doesn’t work for everyone, every interview I’ve ever heard from a coach about a Gaelic convert or someone brought across from another sport is that the easiest thing to teach and improve in a player is their kicking so hopefully the skills coaches can sort that out

The massive problem with that is it doesn't work with anyone who has an ingrained action. That's why clubs never ever try and completely rebuild someone's kicking after they have been through the elite junior pathways in Aus

Remove this Banner Ad

Back