Senior 10: Mitch Knevitt (2021 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

The massive problem with that is it doesn't work with anyone who has an ingrained action. That's why clubs never ever try and completely rebuild someone's kicking after they have been through the elite junior pathways in Aus

What's your opinion of Knevitt? Compared to the other choices we could have made with that pick?

The massive problem with that is it doesn't work with anyone who has an ingrained action. That's why clubs never ever try and completely rebuild someone's kicking after they have been through the elite junior pathways in Aus
Example in point Gryan Miers.

Joel Corey wasn't the best kick to begin with and got it right over time (most of the time ... there was always a game here or there where it went a little awry). If Knevitt can get to a level similar to that then we are on a winner.

Great comparison. The more I think about it the similarities are eerie. Tall, rangy, athletic inside mid who needs work on his kicking. If he can become half the player as Joel then it's a win. Might get given #11 too!

Can see he has some attributes but I preferred others. The modern game needs midfielders that can run and carry, be deadly by foot - he just doesn’t look (at this stage) to have that in his game. Hope I’m wrong.

Funny you should say that...I had never heard of Knevitt until you raised him early on, so it sort of put him on my radar.

The reason he made it no doubt was because I didn't pick him!! :cool: Vardy remains the highlight of my draft performances!

Funny you should say that...I had never heard of Knevitt until you raised him early on, so it sort of put him on my radar.

The reason he made it no doubt was because I didn't pick him!! :cool: Vardy remains the highlight of my draft performances!

I didn’t mind him as a pick in the 30’s which we initially only had. But after we first traded Clark to gain 22, then traded up 2 picks in the 30’s for 23, I thought we needed to aim higher, hence my frustration last night (you probably didn’t notice).

Turbocat was the first I think on this forum to promote him so kudos to him if he is a success.

I didn’t mind him as a pick in the 30’s which we initially only had. But after we first traded Clark to gain 22, then traded up 2 picks in the 30’s for 23, I thought we needed to aim higher, hence my frustration last night (you probably didn’t notice).

Turbocat was the first I think on this forum to promote him so kudos to him if he is a success.

I thought with the players available we may have looked elsewhere... but we were very role focused. Im really looking forward to the VFL next year
Now we see if he can make the most of it...any mid on our list we get a chance soon if tehy are good enough.

Plenty of gun mids arent deadly by foot. But to be a gun thesedays you need a good contest game and endurance and he has both in spades plus athletic.ability.

I'll admit to also thinking that his highlights package from the Country/Metro game was quite underwhelming. But it's also clear that some of his objective attributes don't translate fantastically well in those snippets of Mitch in action. The following summary info from draft previews certainly paints a different picture...

An outstanding performer for the Geelong Falcons, averaging 24.3 disposals (50 per cent contested), 4.4 clearances and 4.3 tackles, he won their best and fairest award as well as a place in the NAB League's Team of the Year. Has the elite speed and endurance combination which allows him to transition both back and forward...Confirmed his elite acceleration for his size with 2.98 seconds for 20 metres and 6 minutes 18 seconds for 2km at the Draft Combine in Bendigo for Victoria Country.

Plenty of gun mids arent deadly by foot. But to be a gun thesedays you need a good contest game and endurance and he has both in spades plus athletic.ability.

I think its an ever changing cycle of in and out of vogue skills and talents. Rich and now Melb have moved the game from neat possession to high intensity transition. The willingness to sacrifice, bang bodies, move quickly seem more important than laser like footskills. Im sure they could polish certain aspects of his game , as will be the case for all the draftees.

I'll admit to also thinking that his highlights package from the Country/Metro game was quite underwhelming. But it's also clear that some of his objective attributes don't translate fantastically well in those snippets of Mitch in action. The following summary info from draft previews certainly paints a different picture...

No doubt. He had a good year and was a deserved pick on that performance but his testing results indicate big upside as that combo of speed and endurance and overhead marking for a non tall (ie a mid) is quite rare and mean if his game is developed well the sky is the limit compared to players who dont have that running power. So we are banking on that upside but its a great pick imo ive been big on him all year for a reason.

I'm not as impressed at his athletic ability as some. Looks slow as treacle on the field. Just seems slower to react than most.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like the jury is out on this kid.
Esp with some of the players that were on the table @ the time .

Hopefully he makes the cut..

He's not just a mid can play forward or back .
Looking at what Wells was saying about his running capacity and his marking forward and back they might try start him on a wing and have him be a Menegola type, gut running to help out in the backline, might need it with the lack kpds coming through. One he fills out the wiry frame he could end up going to stoppages or go forward g-train style

Looking at what Wells was saying about his running capacity and his marking forward and back they might try start him on a wing and have him be a Menegola type, gut running to help out in the backline, might need it with the lack kpds coming through. One he fills out the wiry frame he could end up going to stoppages or go forward g-train style

With no Lang or Chook in the VFL.
These rookies will get plenty of opportunities..

Cheer up Dave.

Toby Conway went to TGC.

:p:D:D:D:D

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back