Senior 20: James Willis (2021 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

He was linked to 4 different clubs in the 30's dont know about the no certainty to get drafted line.

When you're never mentioned in the top 30 of a phantom draft where only ~55 junior players are predicted to be taken you would still be very nervous. There's no way clubs would've given him any guarantee when he's that far down the list. Even if in hindsight he never would've got past pick 40 he couldn't knowo that and would've had that nagging doubt that maybe he slips through.

It's very different to guys named in the top 10 of every phantom draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My favourite of the draft haul. Reckon he'll play a few games next year. Would like to see him push Dahl or Higgins out.

'Willis averaged 29 disposals, 148 KFC SuperCoach points and booted seven goals for North between Rounds 9 and 13, before cracking the double-ton (204) in his final game. Even if he starts forward at the top level, he’ll be one to watch'

My favourite of the draft haul. Reckon he'll play a few games next year. Would like to see him push Dahl or Higgins out.

'Willis averaged 29 disposals, 148 KFC SuperCoach points and booted seven goals for North between Rounds 9 and 13, before cracking the double-ton (204) in his final game. Even if he starts forward at the top level, he’ll be one to watch'

Reckon he plays decent midfield minutes next year - and Danger trains forward a lot over the pre-season.

He's my favourite of the draft too, and I love that he's got both power and burst acceleration from packs - very Danger'esque. Him and Holmes combining in the middle could be a deadly combination in years to come (when Holmes puts in some more size)

Haven't seen arms like that on a kid at Geelong since a young Tom Harley walked through the door. Has the vein connecting the biceps from the shoulder to the forearm and everything. Absolutely f*cking ripped.

Spitting image of Jaeger O'Meara's physique IMO - yet he's already there at only 18!

Last edited:
The midfield will offer some of these guys an opportunity at Geelong in the short term now, with many of our great seniors like Selwood coming towards the end of very long careers at the top.
Massive step if they're able,.. will be there for some.
Well, that's the million dollar question, will it?

To get a game in our midfield you have to get past Selwood, Dangerfield, Duncan, Smith, Guthrie, Parfitt, Menegola... will the club be brave enough to leave 2-3 of those out some weeks to let the kids play? History says no, but I hope I am surprised in round 1 2022...

To get a game in our midfield you have to get past Selwood, Dangerfield, Duncan, Smith, Guthrie, Parfitt, Menegola... will the club be brave enough to leave 2-3 of those out some weeks to let the kids play? History says no, but I hope I am surprised in round 1 2022...

We're not leaving out 2-3 of our best players in round 1 when we're aiming to win the flag. Plenty of kids will have chances throughout the year but we'd be mad to do it at the expense of our best players in critical games.

There are fringe guys who can be squeezed al and there will be other opportunities with injuries. We can even rotate a few of these out for a few games against lesser opposition but it's not going to be round 1.

It's more leaving out guys like Higgins, Dahl, Kolo, Rohan, Miers, Atkins etc. and guys like Willis, Stephens and Kroeger showing they're ready.

On any given week, you could have a line up like this, and be able to fit at least two of them in (Willis and Stephens for mine, as Kroeger has been out for a bit with injury here and there and could be a bit rusty):

B: O'Connor, Blics, Henry
HB: Stewart, SDK, Bews
C: Menegola, C. Stephens, I. Smith
FO: Stanley, C. Guthrie, Parfitt
HF: Duncan, J. Cameron, Danger
F: Close, Hawkins, Stengle
INT: Ceglar, Tuohy, Holmes, Willis/Miers (one is med sub)

EMG: Miers/Willis (one is med sub), Kolo, Sav, Atkins

Selwood: rested
Danger: rotating between mid and half forward
Duncan: predominantly half forward
Menegola: one wing
I. Smith: other wing
Guthrie: rotating mid
Parfitt: rotating mid
C. Stephens: rotating mid
Willis: rotating between mid and half forward

It can definitely work, it's just a matter of prioritizing the kids over others - and taking others out of the midfield to help with team balance.

Same goes with SDK taking Kolo's spot, and hopefully Kroeger pushing his way in too - given he's readymade and can play back as well. Will be very interesting to see what our Round 1 line up ends up being - and if the fringe older players are kept in the VFL and made to earn their spots.

We're not leaving out 2-3 of our best players in round 1 when we're aiming to win the flag. Plenty of kids will have chances throughout the year but we'd be mad to do it at the expense of our best players in critical games.

There are fringe guys who can be squeezed al and there will be other opportunities with injuries. We can even rotate a few of these out for a few games against lesser opposition but it's not going to be round 1.

He's just quoting who they have to get past,...highly unlikely but you never know when injury might strike or form drops right off, but they'd have to be knocking the door down too!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back