Senior 33. Shannon Neale (2021-)

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Question mark would have to be over his ability t physically go toe to toe with the big rucks in the competition. Everything else he looks to have patted down for a future.

the lean beanpole rucks can often end up disasters like English at the dogs or they can develope quite a strong core and hold their own and go into forge elite careers like Sean cox.

huge focus in the gym for this kid

BORIS332

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Question mark would have to be over his ability t physically go toe to toe with the big rucks in the competition. Everything else he looks to have patted down for a future.

the lean beanpole rucks can often end up disasters like English at the dogs or they can develope quite a strong core and hold their own and go into forge elite careers like Sean cox.

huge focus in the gym for this kid

He’s not that skinny. He’s 92kgs so probably only needs to add another 8kg or so.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Having watched footage* of Tsapatolis' on the track last night I'll be backing Scratcher in to position himself as the club's post-Stanley ruckman (unless we end up trading in a ready-made mature ager from another club in the interim).

* couldn't call them highlights, that's for sure - the long streak of Greek has a long way to go, hands like rubber at this stage

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Having watched footage* of Tsapatolis' on the track last night I'll be backing Scratcher in to position himself as the club's post-Stanley ruckman (unless we end up trading in a ready-made mature ager from another club in the interim).

* couldn't call them highlights, that's for sure - the long streak of Greek has a long way to go, hands like rubber at this stage
At his height do..you see him picking spuds..? Scratcher Neale..? LOL

What we have for the first time..in a long long time is two ruck prospects under 20. Finally we have at least given ourselves a chance to develop our own.

The package they showed on the fox coverage showed some traits that are similar to Stanley..he can mark well OH , kick a good ball and had good times at the combine..he presents as player that may well be like SDek in that may well suit a few roles.

That’s what I was wondering. Is he more likely to play predominantly as a key forward than as a ruckman?

He could but honestly with his vertical leap and tapwork we would be remiss not to play him in the ruck imo.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
At his height do..you see him picking spuds..? Scratcher Neale..? LOL

What we have for the first time..in a long long time is two ruck prospects under 20. Finally we have at least given ourselves a chance to develop our own.

The package they showed on the fox coverage showed some traits that are similar to Stanley..he can mark well OH , kick a good ball and had good times at the combine..he presents as player that may well be like SDek in that may well suit a few roles.

haha good point, maybe not ...

will check out Neale's highlight's shortly - in the mean time, did you see footage of Tsapatolis on the training track? footskills look neat ... ish ... but double-clutching everything (when he wasn't spilling it entirely); not the safest pair of hands .. early days I know, but some kids already 'have it' by now; Tsapatolis does not, at the minute.

I've been advocating drafting a ruckman for a while; its a long road though, and as we've seen with Dawson Simpson and Vardy there are no guarantees that they will complete their journey with us .. happy for the club to invest the time and resources though, hopefully Neale is up to the task.

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Like this pick a lot. Fair set of wheels on the big boy as well, wouldn't surprise if they try and mold him into a key forward. Between Neale and SDK, we've got two talented + versatile giants that can be trained to play just about anywhere. Now it's up to the club to find their best position.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
What a pick, l reckon if ever you were looking for character Wellsey got this one right.
And won't leave anything in the tank.
50.8sec 400, sheesh! Just try that Rheese, then again, please don't, worried about your hammies.
Hammies are ok. Just watch out for those calves and groins/hips.

Glad we have 2 young rucks to develop. Hopefully one turns into a star to replace stanley when he retires in a few years time.

A bloke that size running the 400 like that.... r u kidding me? That anaerobic into that aerobic cross over is murder... but in a 202 bloke.. wow.

FFS and I know its the lower level but him running that kid down in D 50.... thats a mindset as much as the physical tools to do it.

Watching the footage, albeit brief, he reminded my of Max King in his marking and kicking style. A high bar for comparison and not suggesting he's that level or will be, but as raw talent goes, its a great place to start.

GO Catters

Mature kid, definitely passes the 'character' test.

I remember reading in the Comeback book about how we drafted kids based on their character, and I'm really glad that philosophy still rings true. What a fantastic young man, really hope he has a great career here at Geelong

bellpark

All Australian
Aug 18, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
A bloke that size running the 400 like that.... r u kidding me? That anaerobic into that aerobic cross over is murder... but in a 202 bloke.. wow.

FFS and I know its the lower level but him running that kid down in D 50.... thats a mindset as much as the physical tools to do it.

Watching the footage, albeit brief, he reminded my of Max King in his marking and kicking style. A high bar for comparison and not suggesting he's that level or will be, but as raw talent goes, its a great place to start.

GO Catters
Good call Daz - he has a bit of Max King about him but I'm seeing he probably is a better athlete. Someone that size working even harder than Hawk(who took his running to a new level this year), would be a pretty special forward in years to come.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
haha good point, maybe not ...

will check out Neale's highlight's shortly - in the mean time, did you see footage of Tsapatolis on the training track? footskills look neat ... ish ... but double-clutching everything (when he wasn't spilling it entirely); not the safest pair of hands .. early days I know, but some kids already 'have it' by now; Tsapatolis does not, at the minute.

I've been advocating drafting a ruckman for a while; its a long road though, and as we've seen with Dawson Simpson and Vardy there are no guarantees that they will complete their journey with us .. happy for the club to invest the time and resources though, hopefully Neale is up to the task.

His hands will improve , they have no feel thru playing with the easier to grab basketball , his kicking was a tad programmed..which is fine ..he will get better and more relaxed when it becomes more automatic. Just need to keep handling the ball.

At least now we have options..

The highlights I saw on Fox were hardly in depth for Neale.. but what we do know is that he can move and kick and mark. Suddenly we have the raw material to develop talls in multiple roles. Neale will need to become a bigger player imo to play at the afl level. Fort must be looking at these talls coming in and feel like he is in the middle of a vice. He needs to get past Stanley before these obviously more athletically talented talls are ready.

Back