Delisted 31. Francis Evans (2020 -2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of all the first day interviews from the new draftee's this kid sounds like he means business...
They all interviewed very well, but I see some extra confidence in this kid. Hope it translates on the pitch.

Did very well didn't he very impressive interview.
Overalll everyone of them did well, they seem like a very good group.

Out of all the first day interviews from the new draftee's this kid sounds like he means business...
They all interviewed very well, but I see some extra confidence in this kid. Hope it translates on the pitch.

I can imagine being a late bolter and not being exposed to that top tier system over the years to then be plucked he probably has a greater appreciation and hunger to make it.. as he has not had the idea of being an AFL player pumped into his head for years and years like most of the others probably have.

Did very well didn't he very impressive interview.
Overalll everyone of them did well, they seem like a very good group.
Just looking at the group, I reckon C Stephens is probably the athletic one, and the others look more like raw natural footballers... so it will be interesting to see how they progress. Taheny could be a red hot talent, whilst Close and Evans look very much like the Richmond small pressure forward types. De Koning looks like he will make it, they usually do when they have that height and have pretty good agility like he does, seems to be able to take contested marks at the pointy end which certainly helps. But yeah, they sound quite mature.

Just looking at the group, I reckon C Stephens is probably the athletic one, and the others look more like raw natural footballers... so it will be interesting to see how they progress. Taheny could be a red hot talent, whilst Close and Evans look very much like the Richmond small pressure forward types. De Koning looks like he will make it, they usually do when they have that height and have pretty good agility like he does, seems to be able to take contested marks at the pointy end which certainly helps. But yeah, they sound quite mature.

I agree on Cooper his yoyo or beep was off the charts, l reckon he's got the Selwood mentality in a 190cm frame.
As for DeKoning now 202cm?...but how agile and fast is this kid for his size!
Said he wants to muscle up but the club no pressure atm. Like this kid.
Taheny going to try for rd 1, good luck to him but reckon he'll play some time maybe early 2020.Looks a potential jet.
The other two Evans and Close both need to bulk a bit but seriously look out Fogarty etc, because these guys can play.
Anyway, that's the feeling l get from this group fwiw.

I agree on Cooper his yoyo or beep was off the charts, l reckon he's got the Selwood mentality in a 190cm frame.
As for DeKoning now 202cm?...but how agile and fast is this kid for his size!
Said he wants to muscle up but the club no pressure atm. Like this kid.
Taheny going to try for rd 1, good luck to him but reckon he'll play some time maybe early 2020.Looks a potential jet.
The other two Evans and Close both need to bulk a bit but seriously look out Fogarty etc, because these guys can play.
Anyway, that's the feeling l get from this group fwiw.
Yeah, fair call on Fogarty... as these kids look a bit more composed when the ball goes to foot, plus they are much better overhead than Fogarty.

If fogarty gets a full pre season his spot isn’t being touched by any first year player.

Very talented kid who’s numbers at the same age were not comparable to those guys mentioned.

Aggressive tackling machine fogarty who knows how to find the footy in and under.

Definitely not meant a sledge at Fogs but
more an observation of our drafting and trade period.
Fringe spots for small fwd/mids will be mighty tough in 2020.
I like the way Evans and Close play from the little l've seen, and Steven is a gun/jet whatever you want to call him.
If he’s happy (Steven) it'll be like gaining another younger Ablett, he's a freak when all is well.

Last edited:
The bolded is 1 of the most important assets I wanted from this draft.

Appears that Evans, Taheny and Close all have a bit of toe. But we need some more pace in the midfield. Sharp could have provided some of that if we’d taken him so hopefully we draft a good one at 11 in the next draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On skill set (and a little bit on intuition) - this year’s recruits look like the best best bunch for many years. Really like the speed of the bunch (relative to height), the foot skills look pretty good on all, experience in Jenkins and Steven and there are X factors in at least Steven, Taheny and Evans. Good fitness base for Steven, Jenkins, Stephens and (probably) Close gives an immediate boost of AFL fit stocks (rather than possibly waiting a season for any recruits to build a tank).

Really intriguing to watch the preseason, the development, the competition for spots for preferred 19 to 25. Might be a ‘defining year’ for Fog, Constable, Parsons etc.

Last edited:
If he does get a pre season he will play every game. He is quite a talent. First AFL season they were happy to throw him in for a bunch of games.

He is not blistering quick but he isn’t slow either.

Severely underrated player on this board based off some stereotypes I feel about his height and not being a blistering nippy quick. His probably 4-5cm off what people would want him to be height wise for his playing style

When you think about it's really a new beginning for everyone in 2020.
It's up to him to show his talent.

Last edited:
Guess I'm lost... Thought this was the Francis Evans thread

If you want to discuss Blicavs or look at teams of past years, I'm sure there's more suitable threads

If you are unsure where those threads may be, I'd recommend using the search function

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess I'm lost... Thought this was the Francis Evans thread

If you want to discuss Blicavs or look at teams of past years, I'm sure there's more suitable threads

If you are unsure where those threads may be, I'd recommend using the search function
You would just lock them for being old threads exactly like you did last week.

With Cumberland taken at 43 ...it will be worth following his progress in comparison to Evans..

Richmond recruiting manager Matthew Clarke believes talent will continue to be poached from the improving northern academies.
The Tigers plucked Lions academy duo Noah Cumberland and Will Martyn with successive picks in the third round of last month’s National Draft with Brisbane opting not to match the bids.

Brisbane had previously matched Essendon’s bid on fellow Lions academy product Keidean Coleman six picks before the Tigers’ two selections.

“The academies have worked and it is spilling out the talent, it’s great for us,” Clarke said on the Talking Tigers podcast.

“In previous years, before the academies, they sort of played in division two and weren’t attractive to watch, but their footy is really good to watch now – both New South Wales and Queensland.

“Realistically if they produce ten really good players a year they can’t take them all anyway so there are opportunities for other clubs if you’ve done the work.”

Clarke said he was “surprised” the Tigers landed both Cumberland (Pick No. 43) and Martyn (No. 44) without the Lions matching. The pair got a taste of senior footy in the NEAFL and were part of Brisbane’s premiership triumph.

Something interesting about this bloke.. my FIL often has tiny tidbits about things from within the club, and mentioned halfway through last year about a fella the Cats were eyeing off. I saw him over the weekend and he said something to the effect of: There was no injury to Evans. The Cats just wanted to put him out of sight and out of mind of the other clubs, so they exaggerated a story about something minor with the offer of a list spot to put him away for the season.
No idea whether thats the facts or not, but the ol FIL doesnt tell porkies and his intel is generally on the money.

Something interesting about this bloke.. my FIL often has tiny tidbits about things from within the club, and mentioned halfway through last year about a fella the Cats were eyeing off. I saw him over the weekend and he said something to the effect of: There was no injury to Evans. The Cats just wanted to put him out of sight and out of mind of the other clubs, so they exaggerated a story about something minor with the offer of a list spot to put him away for the season.
No idea whether thats the facts or not, but the ol FIL doesnt tell porkies and his intel is generally on the money.

Love a good conspiracy yarn ... did they see him kicking goals on the grassy knoll ..

If that is true ... id have concerns about being accused of drafting manipulation

It would sort of explain why we would draft him before some players who looked handy ...like a Cumberland for example ... If the clubs think he could quickly press for games.. he may have appealled more than some younger long term player..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back