Delisted 21. Nicholas Stevens (2021- 2022)

Geelong welcomes to the club with Pick 47 Nicholas Stevens

Tall defender

Go Catters

Last edited:

ninjahcat

Debutant
Dec 3, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Graham Street Prims
nick stevens.jpg

AFL Draft watch is Greater Western Victoria (GWV) Rebels prospect Nick Stevens, who has already played representative football across multiple age groups, as well as featuring in last year’s Under 17 All Star showcase. The classy half-back is set to once again line up on the flank he looked most comfortable across in 2019, with six NAB League appearances scattered in between Geelong Grammar commitments and an unfortunate early-season injury.

Now raring to get back on the park, the 191cm draft hopeful will be one of his region’s great hopes and outlets heading into his top-age season, standing alone as the Rebels’ sole 18-year-old Vic Country Hub member. Get up to speed with how he has performed off-field in 2020, with a look back at his 2019 campaign.

The classy mover looked at home across half back, competing well and getting the ball moving along the line. He took some time to build into the game and had his best moments during the second and third terms with shows of clever use by both hand and foot. His mix of competitiveness and class came to the fore, winning his own ball one-on-one but doing so with quick gathers and flashy spins.

He was injured earlier in the season, but the talented Under-16 Vic Country representative was clean with his ball use and showed good hands under pressure in terrible conditions. He possesses a nice long kick, and was often tasked with the kick out duties. He tried to play on and take the game on more often than not, and benefited late when the opposition gave away a 50m penalty trying to stop him doing just that. Stevens applied good pressure on the kicker having a shot for goal inside 50 and forced a mistake by foot.

Height: 191.2cm
Weight: 82.4kg
Position: Half-back

2019 NAB LEAGUE STATS: 6 games | 14.3 disposals | 2 marks | 2.5 tackles | 1 clearance | 3.5 rebound 50s | 2.6 inside 50s

Strengths: Poise/class, decision making, rebounding
Improvements: Inside game, endurance

Last edited:
pick 47? I thought we had pick 51. Can we have a thread explaining how all these pick changes are going down as the afl website is complete rubbish. what did we give up to get to pick 47?

We gave nothing - the AFL simply handed it to us as we are polite and easy to deal with, so they rewarded us pick 47 in the draft

is this sarcasm? Im quite drunk so i cant tell.

Pick 47 started as pick 51 - just that with bidding on academy players & such that it came in a bit

Pick 27 was pushed out a bit as it was a second round pick, but by the time to get to third round picks they start to come in

pick 47? I thought we had pick 51. Can we have a thread explaining how all these pick changes are going down as the afl website is complete rubbish. what did we give up to get to pick 47?
It's the same pick. Example JUH bid pushed us back a position here to 52 but then 4 picks in front of this from the Bulldogs evaporated to match the bid sending it forward 4 positions to 48. Few similar bits of bid shuffling.

Picks before 30ish push out. Picks around 40 stay where they are. Picks after 50 come in.

Nothing the pick just moved in as academy bids were matched.

Stevens is a really classy player..i do like this pick.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

The bid for players means that clubs have to use picks to match bids... so picks in the 20's, 30's, 40's disappear .. and our pick in the 50's moves into the 40's

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Not sure what role he is going to play.... we have a truck load of defenders this size. He is neither a small or a tall defender... and with MOC and Stewart and Henry and Kolo ... I cant quite see it ...but look forward to seeing him play.

Some competition for Zuthrie at least. On the foxtel vision we were on the phone so trying to trade out I reckon at this point.

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Not sure what role he is going to play.... we have a truck load of defenders this size. He is neither a small or a tall defender... and with MOC and Stewart and Henry and Kolo ... I cant quite see it ...but look forward to seeing him play.

He's just that real nice size that has agility with reach, might be a midfield prospect in the making.
If looks matter he's going to be alright l hope.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Wish him all the best, but he is behind the 8-ball in terms of making it on our list, hope he has both the patience to bide his time and the talent to push his case.

Back