Delisted 21. Nicholas Stevens (2021- 2022)

Joey JoJo Shabad

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
130804965_3980689475294165_4501496625479791397_o.jpg

TheMenz Gallery

Living in the past
Apr 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Left foot?
Not visible from those highlights. All kicks appear to be uncontested so instinctively he chose the preferred right peg I guess. You could argue the first possession could have been used on the left but he chose to use the outside of the boot on the right instead. Can’t fault that thinking when he can hit it that sweetly.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Left foot?

He's no Daniel Day-Lewis, but showed some artistry with the right boot in those highlights; nice touch I reckon Turbo.
Should be backing himself in to leapfrog the likes of Zuthrie.

Don't think he'll look out of place at AFL level, good size and had a bit of acceleration, too - hope the club sticks him down back in the VFL and leaves him down there to perfect his craft; good users coming out of defense are critical moving forward and we don't have many of them; Stewart's foot is pretty handy, Henderson is also pretty sharp given a moment to set-up, O'Connor's instincts and execution are generally ok, after that it falls away a bit.

Always room players that are effective kickers, and Stevens looks like he has that string on his bow. If he can adjust to the increased pace and physicality ...

May 8, 2006
Melborne
AFL Club
Geelong
That would change the scope of the pick..... but listening to Troy S... they knew what he was like , having him at the club..so very much a package ..the right personality etc.. very good kick and has been playing flank wing yet his frame to me resonates more a inside player than an out side player..
FWIW - really liked his highlights package. Good kicking technique, straight line runner with reasonable speed and nice size already. Some good moves in traffic does point to some potential for midfield.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
He's no Daniel Day-Lewis, but showed some artistry with the right boot in those highlights; nice touch I reckon Turbo.

Don't think he'll look out of place at AFL level, good size and had a bit of acceleration, too - hope the club sticks him down back in the VFL and leaves him down there to perfect his craft; good users coming out of defense are critical moving forward and we don't have many of them; Stewart's foot is pretty handy, Henderson is also pretty sharp given a moment to set-up, O'Connor's instincts and execution are generally ok, after that it falls away a bit.

Always room players that are effective kickers, and Stevens looks like he has that string on his bow. If he can adjust to the increased pace and physicality ...
The ability to shorten stride when running left to still get back on to his right ..has attributes. but id prefer to see him use both feet. Traffic will be far heavier at afl level.

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Gee he's very well coordinated and looks to use the ball all the time.
That pack mark was solid as it gets and his follow up running is supurb.
No wonder they thought here's a gem at P47, good call S Wells.

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong

Time!...love this pick, in fact all the draftees really have huge upside imo.

TheMenz Gallery

Living in the past
Apr 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
The ability to shorten stride when running left to still get back on to his right ..has attributes. but id prefer to see him use both feet. Traffic will be far heavier at afl level.
Agreed

I’m not prepared to say that Stevens doesn’t have a left foot based off that small sample size. I would like to see his inside work before making that call. Does he prefer to offload by hand, use a right foot banana in heavy traffic or is able to go on the left?
Not sure but looking forward to seeing him run around in the twos to find out.

Last edited:

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
This kid looks the most ready of the 3 draft kids coming in. I actually think this guy is very likely going to make it. He isn't a key defender though, more likely a 3rd tall type, with the ability to push onto the Wings potentially. I'd be pretty happy with this guy and Clark running it out of the backline. If SDK makes it, our defence looks solid for the next 5 years minimum (whilst Blicavs and Stewart can keep going). Think Blicavs will do a Dustin Fletcher and go a long time with his engine and touch wood, lack of injuries.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Actually if you watch his clip, he is bouncing with his left hand rather than his right, though he hand-passes like a right-handed guy. He may in fact be a left-hander, so I suspect he will be able to drop the ball correctly on his left foot if required. My guess is he has some left foot skills, but will only use it if absolutely necessarily.

Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Actually if you watch his clip, he is bouncing with his left hand rather than his right, though he hand-passes like a right-handed guy. He may in fact be a left-hander, so I suspect he will be able to drop the ball correctly on his left foot if required. My guess is he has some left foot skills, but will only use it if absolutely necessarily.
No idea if what you are saying is right but I love the investigative work from that short a clip!

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
No idea if what you are saying is right but I love the investigative work from that short a clip!
Typically right footed people are right handed, so as he is kicking the footy with his rightfoot, he should be bouncing the ball with his right hand. He's actually bouncing with the left hand, which suggests he is a natural left hander. If you kick with your left foot, the ball drop should be with the left hand, so ball drop which is the most complicated aspect of kicking should be easy for him on his left side, meaning in theory his left foot skills should be good or can be worked on so they are solid. That's the point I was trying to make.

Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Typically right footed people are right handed, so as he is kicking the footy with his rightfoot, he should be bouncing the ball with his right hand. He's actually bouncing with the left hand, which suggests he is a natural left hander. If you kick with your left foot, the ball drop should be with the left hand, so ball drop which is the most complicated aspect of kicking should be easy for him on his left side, meaning in theory his left foot skills should be good or can be worked on so they are solid. That's the point I was trying to make.
Yeah you nailed your point.

I was over thinking the ball drop as being a bit slow and careful. Still gun shy from Smedts who wasn't able to get to AFL level with his protracted drop. However these were highlights of reasonably careful kicks so I was reading way to much into it.

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah you nailed your point.

I was over thinking the ball drop as being a bit slow and careful. Still gun shy from Smedts who wasn't able to get to AFL level with his protracted drop. However these were highlights of reasonably careful kicks so I was reading way to much into it.

Smedts kicking wasn't great but it wasn't what stopped him going to AFL level. He's still the biggest mystery to me why he never made it. It was like the injuries took away all confidence that he could play at AFL level. Even his last year or two with us he'd go from dominating VFL level playing with flair and creativity then turn up at AFL level and look like a terrified kid second guessing every decision he made.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
Smedts kicking wasn't great but it wasn't what stopped him going to AFL level. He's still the biggest mystery to me why he never made it. It was like the injuries took away all confidence that he could play at AFL level. Even his last year or two with us he'd go from dominating VFL level playing with flair and creativity then turn up at AFL level and look like a terrified kid second guessing every decision he made.

I don't actually think his footy I.Q. was very high, though. Might be due to the second-guessing you're talking about above, but made some really awful decisions with ball in hand during the latter stages of his AFL career with us.

He strikes me as one who never truly got past dominating at junior level, and never really understood (or worked hard enough to understand) what was involved in learning the modern game at the elite level. Clearly had enough skill but wasn't able to use his attributes to best advantage. Plenty of other players in the AFL have got by with less skill but more ability/willingness to contribute to the team outcome.

Others will put more down to his injuries holding him back than I do. But I can't get away from the fact that he actually couldn't make it at two different clubs, at two entirely different stages of their list build. Seems to suggest he was just not going to make it, no matter what environment he found himself in while playing his footy.

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't actually think his footy I.Q. was very high, though. Might be due to the second-guessing you're talking about above, but made some really awful decisions with ball in hand during the latter stages of his AFL career with us.

He strikes me as one who never truly got past dominating at junior level, and never really understood (or worked hard enough to understand) what was involved in learning the modern game at the elite level. Clearly had enough skill but wasn't able to use his attributes to best advantage. Plenty of other players in the AFL have got by with less skill but more ability/willingness to contribute to the team outcome.

Others will put more down to his injuries holding him back than I do. But I can't get away from the fact that he actually couldn't make it at two different clubs, at two entirely different stages of their list build. Seems to suggest he was just not going to make it, no matter what environment he found himself in while playing his footy.

I agree he wasn't going to make it but I'm almost certain the issues were mental more than anything else. He always played his best footy as a high risk, high reward type player who took the game on. It's pretty normal for guys like that to come into the AFL, play freely to start and then once they get criticised a bit they take time to work through when to take risks and when not to. But he looked a completely different player by the end at VFL level compared to AFL. And it wasn't like he was getting caught or couldn't win the ball at AFL level. He just wouldn't even attempt to do the things he was capable of at AFL level.

Nick Stevens
GWV Rebels, NAB League / East Point / Geelong Grammar
Height: 192cm
Weight: 84kg
23/03/02

Medium/tall defender who breaks the lines with his leg speed and power, is a long and penetrating kick and distributes the ball well by hand. Reads the game well across halfback and provides his team with good overlap run. Impressive athletic type demonstrated by both his 6 minutes and 32 seconds result in the 2km and 2.97 seconds for 20 metres recorded at NAB AFL Combine for Victoria Country held last week in Bendigo. Was in good touch in two trial matches for the Rebels at the start of the year averaging 23 possessions (11 contested) looking set for a good year.

OJ231020RCP361607254.JPG

Kevin Sheehan reveals his top NAB AFL Draft Prospects: Medium Defenders

Back