Delisted 25: Flynn Kroeger (2021 - 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think its Dangerfield. More like a Josh Hunt.
Not as chunky. and a little quicker and more explosive.
I didn't suggest Danger, it was mentioned to me.
Another Josh Hunt would be most welcome imo- very important player in our era.

Last edited:
Not as chunky. and a little quicker and more explosive.
I didn't suggest Danger, it was mentioned to me.
Another Josh Hunt would be most welcome imo- very important player in our era.
unbelievably good kick, but he was as much a beneficiary of being in one of the greatest backlines ever seen as anyone. Not sure he has the same career elsewhere. Shirked it more than any other player across those years too. We need better than Josh Hunt to improve For me. Harsh, probably.

Reminds me of Zac Bailey from Brisbane.

Parso was elite at both those running parameters and more. As was Murdoch. But not everything in pure footy terms can be measured. Look at Luke Hodge and Jimmy Bartel- they would not have had elite running results in any aspect, yet were brilliant and resilient players.
Btw, I still think Parso has ability. Just that he seemed to lose confidence in our system.

It's not absolute but very few players succeed without those athletic attributes now... but if your football is so elite, it may be possible I guess. Hodge and Bartel were a while ago(draft) but both top 10 picks, their footy talent compensated a bit. The fact is less than half the names drafted outside R1 succeed. Murdock played a lot of games because he could run, JP got his chance because he could run. My bet there are guys playing in the GFL and Melb comps that have very good footy talent but just do not have the athletic gifts. Like wize guys with less footy talent get a shot because met the required running. The guys from Ireland for example. Blitz, even Holmes last year was not the best young football talent i have seen, yet he got a chance early.

I like what I see with Flynn, but Im desperate to watch them all play in a VFL game. Its been too long. I feel sorry for those guys the last two years, Im sure it has killed some chances. I just hope its done now..I dread the thought of this new variant Omicron. Please not again.

Ideally two or three of our new group come out and bang down the door one the track before they bring out the footballs because then they will be in with a selection chance.

unbelievably good kick, but he was as much a beneficiary of being in one of the greatest backlines ever seen as anyone. Not sure he has the same career elsewhere. Shirked it more than any other player across those years too. We need better than Josh Hunt to improve For me. Harsh, probably.

Just to balance. Hunt was probably a better kick than anyone else too. It was his weapon. Id agree in another side he would hav been exposed more but one did not get selected in that side without bringing something to the table. Id say Hunt was similar to the Brisbane backline player Rich and Josh was a pick in the 40's Value.

Just watching FlynnK... he looks crisp by foot, every time he kicked it, it was weighted, he went to the left on the run, and had set shot conversion. Not josh Hunt but this kid has footskills. If he can stay fit , he has a real chance.

Last edited:
Very. You recall one incident which was highly talked about.
There were no other memorable incidents , although my memory may not be up to yours.

Would you say Jimmy was a serial diver, and is his career remembered for that dive?

Last edited:
There were no other memorable incidents , although my memory may not be up to yours.

Would you say Jimmy was a serial diver, and is his career remembered for that dive?

We all view things differently, that’s half the fun. I remember Josh doing it repeatedly and I’m surprised there was the one Bartel moment to be honest.

if you have one of Selwood, don’t post it, you’ll break my heart!

We all view things differently, that’s half the fun. I remember Josh doing it repeatedly and I’m surprised there was the one Bartel moment to be honest.
True.
Not really fun, a bit of a worry. But the fun is that this board is not a court of law. We'd be in trouble as character witnesses!
I don't at all, and would have seen just about every one of Josh's games with us.
Joel- never an issue. Many will mention this though.

I remember 2 incidents that he copped flack over.

I remember 2 incidents that he copped flack over.
198 games for the Cats.
Broken tibia, appendicitis, ACL reconstruction, 2x premiership player, elite skills, excellent mark and kick, and suspended for overly vigorous tackles.
So there were 2 incidents over that time.
Woopy doo.

198 games for the Cats.
Broken tibia, appendicitis, ACL reconstruction, 2x premiership player, elite skills, excellent mark and kick, and suspended for overly vigorous tackles.
Woopy doo.
I’m not potting him. I thought it was harsh at the time the way some commentators went after him. Gary Lyon particularly from what i recall. Just pointing out i recall 2 seperate incidents.

I think if he was zuthrie size no one would have said anything. I reckon they targeted him over it cause he was built like a brick shithouse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 47,...eventually as it turned out pushed back from 43, at that point it was Kroeger, but apart from the top 20 that should Pick themselves anyone under 50 best picked in the whole country should be a pretty damn good player.
That's a great picture of those young fellas, Flynn should make that a keeper for the future, one for the mantle! Best of luck Flynn!

He didn’t get invited to the combine initially or with the additional late call ups. You need two clubs interest to test.

Amazing how Wells and co have the confidence in their work. Happy to pass on Draper who was talked up as a first rounder to get the guy not even invited to the combine.

His highlights look impressive. Definitely a nice mix of skills and athleticism. I just did a search and there wasn't a single mention of him in the entire of bigfooty before the draft except in the list of nominees. Just amazing that with such a focus on the kids these days a guy like this can do through to the draft with absolutely no attention.

Amazing how Wells and co have the confidence in their work. Happy to pass on Draper who was talked up as a first rounder to get the guy not even invited to the combine.

His highlights look impressive. Definitely a nice mix of skills and athleticism. I just did a search and there wasn't a single mention of him in the entire of bigfooty before the draft except in the list of nominees. Just amazing that with such a focus on the kids these days a guy like this can do through to the draft with absolutely no attention.
Really threw me that he wasn't even in rookieme's big book of draftees but it's par for the course this year. 100% worth the punt

That really highlights how much more footy club recruiters see. They would've been tracking Kroeger since U16s at least, whereas the Bigfooty 'experts' would only see these kids in their draft year, perhaps not even at all for some of them. Don't get me wrong, I like the talent assessment from the Bigfooty guys, but they don't have the resources the clubs have.

198 games for the Cats.
Woopy doo.
Oh come now, Hunt was a pretty good player but he was a tad soft at times.

Oh come now, Hunt was a pretty good player but he was a tad soft at times.
twice apparently, in 198 games. Tbh, I never thought of him as a soft player even when he pulled out. Self preservation in AFL is noble, sensible and should be lauded. He was a tank of a player and knows he could have really hurt some players.

Twice apparently, in 198 games. Tbh, I never thought of him as a soft player even when he pulled out. Self preservation in AFL is noble, sensible and should be lauded. He was a tank of a player and knows he could have really hurt some players.

And how many contests did he go to during those 198 games? People can say how clearly they remember his supposed episodes constituting a lack of bravery, of course. But the number of purported 'fails' on the courage front wouldn't figure as a point of any statistical significance over the course of his career. Was strong and robust in his footy way, way, way more times than any detractors here would care to remember.

....Preetttyyy sure this is the Flynn Kroeger thread...not the 'Josh Hunt toughness rating', thread...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back