Senior 19. Phoenix Foster (2022 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

Mates with Philipou and has confidence ...is it in the water over there?

Be nice to see some highlights of the game he ripped apart

Foster went to Immanuel College, Phillipou went to Henley High. Those two schools knock around together a fair bit. Both in the West of Adelaide and a lot of Immanuel students live in the Henley area.

Foster went to Immanuel College, Phillipou went to Henley High. Those two schools knock around together a fair bit. Both in the West of Adelaide and a lot of Immanuel students live in the Henley area.
Yep he was a boarder at Immanuel. Sacred Heart also in that triangle, which is Mackies old school.

With Pick 58 Geelong selects Phoenix Foster

Go Catters

I know a bit about him. He’s a basketball prodigy as well as a gun footballer. Real nimble on his feet for a big guy. But has a long stride so appears to lumber. Great hands as a tap ruckman around the ground when he can go body on body. Great vision too - seems to have time from spatial awareness. Great in traffic and finds players in space. Loves to take pace off his kicks to find short targets. Smart. Doesn’t just throw it on the boot and hope.
Set shot and kicking action is flawless, but will also improve with great mentors. Hands are crazy sticky. Is an emotional lad, will need a bit of a strong group around him until he settles in. Hates losing and shows it.

His uncle Dan Foster was also a project player. They sent him to the gym to bulk him up. Injuries and heart valve issue led to some mental health issues. The combination had him quitting football completely. Could have been a key defender 300 gamer.

I know a bit about him. He’s a basketball prodigy as well as a gun footballer. Real nimble on his feet for a big guy. But has a long stride so appears to lumber. Great hands as a tap ruckman around the ground when he can go body on body. Great vision too - seems to have time from spatial awareness. Great in traffic and finds players in space. Loves to take pace off his kicks to find short targets. Smart. Doesn’t just throw it on the boot and hope.
Set shot and kicking action is flawless, but will also improve with great mentors. Hands are crazy sticky. Is an emotional lad, will need a bit of a strong group around him until he settles in. Hates losing and shows it.

His uncle Dan Foster was also a project player. They sent him to the gym to bulk him up. Injuries and heart valve issue led to some mental health issues. The combination had him quitting football completely. Could have been a key defender 300 gamer.
Also, watch Geelong pick up his younger brother in 2025. My tip is he will be top 10.

I too recall Daniel Foster and thought he would make it. Possibly he was a bit too small to play key back. Also he came in when the Cats were starting to accumulate lots of talent

Anyway Bickley, a measured chap, seems to think young Phoenix has huge potential.

A smart ruckman?

That's a real unicorn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A smart ruckman?

That's a real unicorn
Is it? And does that really help? Will Minson is apparently a really smart guy, but considered fairly dumb on the field. And their can't be too many Rhodes Scholars who have played at the highest level, the only one I can think of was a ruckman - Mike Fitspatrick.

Is it? And does that really help? Will Minson is apparently a really smart guy, but considered fairly dumb on the field. And their can't be too many Rhodes Scholars who have played at the highest level, the only one I can think of was a ruckman - Mike Fitspatrick.
I know the King brothers had a high ATAR score. High 90's from memory.

It was a casual dig. I wasn't being particularly serious

Also, watch Geelong pick up his younger brother in 2025. My tip is he will be top 10.
Ring Bicks (Mark Bickley) up on fiveaa tomorrow afternoon 4.30 - 5pm adl time or monday afternoon, same time. He joins the show for a chit chat in that slot, he coached Foster this yr in school football at Immanuel. I'm sure he'd give an honest appraisal of Phoenix

Ring Bicks (Mark Bickley) up on fiveaa tomorrow afternoon 4.30 - 5pm adl time or monday afternoon, same time. He joins the show for a chit chat in that slot, he coached Foster this yr in school football at Immanuel. I'm sure he'd give an honest appraisal of Phoenix
That's a real good idea. I'll have the kids at that point so if any other SA cats fans want to can in that wild be great

I initially had my doubts when they first called out his name, but it seems he elevated his game and did admirably at the champs. I do like that he can mark at the pointy end, that can be a weapon. He also seems to have a very good vertical leap, which is a tick for his type of position. He does probably look a more natural lead and mark type "forward" than Neale did at the same age, but Neale did make great strides last season in the VFL and is probably superior in athleticism and strength.

I don't think Neale or Foster could develop into Defenders, they are most likely Forward/Rucks, and that's okay, we need them in next gen.

I can seem him developing some sort of cult status at the club for some reason.

Jokes are okay. We know what you meant. Lumbering rucks, can "appear" to have that dopey vibe, especially if they have a "deep slow voice"... ;)

Hey, its okay, don't pity those tall dudes, they normally get the chicks first ;) haha
Particularly if they happen to be sitting on a high shelf

The thing about Foster - looking at the 2 minute clip ( and i didnt mind looking at a couple of those beautiful wooden Grandstands either ) is he looked a good overhead mark and a good mover

Alot of posters in my opinion incorrectly re the other 3 new recruits have said - look they will play the whole year in the seniors - or nearly that - ive disageed with that - because to do that they have to force out a Premiership player

But with Phoenix Foster - there is the full forward spot vacant ( in the early rounds ) - some posters have said that Neale is nearly a lock for that - or 1st priority - i dont agree with that at all - how i see it that FF spot is totally up for grabs - and it will be - who performs best in the preseason games - that could be Sav - Neale - Foster - or someone else

So you could conclude - there is some sort of reasonable chance that Foster could be Full forward in Geelongs AFL team in round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back