Traded 28. Darcy Fort (2019 - 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Show's how the club regard the current ruckmen on our list. We now have 4 genuine rucks, and 2 part-timers in Blicavs and Sav. The part timers clearly aren't the option but can relieve and backup if required. Of the 4, Stanley has shown the most potential but is wildly inconsistent, Smith couldnt possibly keep his spot on the list next year, Abbott is solid but lacks a high ceiling athletically or ability wise to be first choice ruck and is suited more to a backup. Why not use a 4th round pick on Fort considering these are our options? Clearly the best state league ruck, and he leapfrogs smith and covers Stanley when he gets injured. And if you look at the draft, terrible year for ruck prospects.

I reckon Abbott's better than you think.

Didn't they sign him for 2 more years. He is no world beater but he is good depth on a low wage who can step into the team if required. Not seeing the requirement for fort at all.

Didn't he have 3 good games out of 4 or 2 out of 3, can't remember but as good as any debutante.
This year he's added 6kilos they say and training very well atm l've heard.
This guy is quick and agile no mistakes.

Mostly durability for 2019 ( Stanley)
I thought Abbott displayed enough to mount a challenge to Stanley if he improved both physically and technically
pre season.
I also think Abbott has an aggressive edge, at least appears that way to me, but it's up to Abbott to take it from Rhys it's far from a done deal.
I quite liked of what I saw of Abbott. I think the added size might do wonders if he keeps his mobility up.

Didn't he have 3 good games out of 4 or 2 out of 3, can't remember but as good as any debutante.
This year he's added 6kilos they say and training very well atm l've heard.
This guy is quick and agile no mistakes.

I am hopeful that Abbott will be better than a "back up" ruck too.

Some have said he was poor in the Melb final. I would describe his effort as beaten overall.

In particular I would again suggest that people watch a replay of the first quarter of that game. Abbott was very good and it wasn't until late in the quarter that Gawn got into the game (4 or 5 goals had already been kicked by Melb). I would add also that if disposal to the forwards had been AFL standard early we would have given ourselves a good chance early.

I would show that 20 mins to Abbott and just ask him to repeat again in games this year. Or go another level - because he has already risen 2 levels in 2018. [I was sure he was gone at mid year 2018. ]

I did like Stanleys efforts in that small parcel of games before he was injured. If he stands up IMO he starts. I he doesn't Abbott will be ready.

Because of Abbott's speed and agility l also reckon he could make an effective key forward or defender he can kick too.
I can see the possibility of him becoming a multi role tall along with his obvious rucking abilities.
Another thing l noticed was he didn't put up with any crap and went in pretty hard.

Didn't they sign him (Abbott) for 2 more years. He is no world beater but he is good depth on a low wage who can step into the team if required.

I agree that he showed enough to give a year or two ... who knows he may yet have more to offer.

Not seeing the requirement for fort at all.
On Fort I disagree.... just today in the addy .Scarlett was talking about playing and coaching him... if he could channel Stewart we could have a younger player ready to come straight in and play #1 ruck.

I agree that he showed enough to give a year or two ... who knows he may yet have more to offer.

On Fort I disagree.... just today in the addy .Scarlett was talking about playing and coaching him... if he could channel Stewart we could have a younger player ready to come straight in and play #1 ruck.

Yes...and he's a tap ruck man....with the new 666 structure in place, the return of the tap ruck man is upon us.

They both need bigger bodies just saying looks like Abbotts added some.
They really dont need as much size as what people make out, Gawn,Witts and Sandi are the only real big rucks the rest are 103kg or under, Fort was drafted already at 99kg and Abbott would be about 105kg by Game 1 of pre-season if we believe what has been said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They really dont need as much size as what people make out, Gawn,Witts and Sandi are the only real big rucks the rest are 103kg or under, Fort was drafted already at 99kg and Abbott would be about 105kg by Game 1 of pre-season if we believe what has been said.

I thought Abbott looked tall enough but a little extra weight would've hurt him rather strengthen him for AFL level footy.
After last year's introduction he'll surprise a few this coming season especially at 105kgs. Watch this guy.
They'll add a few kilos to Fort too no doubt through weights and food supplements.
I think with these two we've a couple of fast agile rucks that could play a key position if required, especially Abbott.

I thought Abbott looked tall enough but a little extra weight would've hurt him rather strengthen him for AFL level footy.
After last year's introduction he'll surprise a few this coming season especially at 105kgs. Watch this guy.
They'll add a few kilos to Fort too no doubt through weights and food supplements.
I think with these two we've a couple of fast agile rucks that could play a key position if required, especially Abbott.
Personally think Fort is a better prospect than Abbott, just not convinced Abbott is good enough for the Grundys and Gawns of the world, we got absolutely belted in clearances regularly last season think Fort is our best chance of clean clearances, put the ball down players throat for fun in the SANFL and is more than handy up forward.

Personally think Fort is a better prospect than Abbott, just not convinced Abbott is good enough for the Grundys and Gawns of the world, we got absolutely belted in clearances regularly last season think Fort is our best chance of clean clearances, put the ball down players throat for fun in the SANFL and is more than handy up forward.

Wait and see... l wouldn't underestimate after what he showed last year.
He's the only one doing all the training by the sound of things.

Abbott was (in Dec.) the only ruck in full training in the couple of sessions I saw.

Forte did some individual running and solo skills drills on the side. No match sim. Didn't look injured.

Stanley and smith both in orange vests and running after missing the first session I saw ( in the pouring rain).

Abbott was (in Dec.) the only ruck in full training in the couple of sessions I saw.

Forte did some individual running and solo skills drills on the side. No match sim. Didn't look injured.

Stanley and smith both in orange vests and running after missing the first session I saw ( in the pouring rain).
Wouldnt think many Rucks would do many hard sessions that far out, their bodies get smashed enough already during the season.

Last edited:

drop the e ...

It remind me of one the worst model Falcons..or a player that will give head aches..;)

Yes...and he's a tap ruck man....with the new 666 structure in place, the return of the tap ruck man is upon us.

Really agree with this. I actually think it was one of the reasons are onball brigade struggled last year. We combined a ridiculously attacking group of mids (ablett, danger, joel, kelly ect with a ruckmen who rarely won the taps. I think that really hurt our clearance numbers. We need a tap ruckman and a better mix in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back