Traded 28. Darcy Fort (2019 - 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the meantime who's the 3rd party that holds down FF, Dangerfield l suppose.
That doesn't help our clearances.
Rob Peter to pay Paul l reckon.
Wouldn't that be the resting Ruck?

Fort could be a good thing here.
Rabbit putting on 6 kgs is good news too.

Smith and Stanley - this is the ultimate shot across the bow. Get it going now or see ya later.

GO Catters

I'm with you, l think Abbott has agility and a good turn of pace, extra strength in the contest and more exposure at top level this year and l believe he's a top22 player no worries.

l think Fort could be the pick of our draft?

Would have to be unless we screw with Danger.
Stanley kicked some goals while resting Forward.
Abbott kicked three goals in four games.
I think Smith kicked some goals in VFL.
Fort kicked goals in his highlights, so he might when resting Forward.

You're right, don't screw with Danger, who should only move Forward when he's resting.

Stanley kicked some goals while resting Forward.
Abbott kicked three goals in four games.
I think Smith kicked some goals in VFL.
Fort kicked goals in his highlights, so he might when resting Forward.

You're right, don't screw with Danger, who should only move Forward when he's resting.

He should recover properly on the bench and play on the ball.
Part time and prop up fwds as a rule don't work like last year.
I think that's why Richmond knew they needed Lynch with Jack for this coming season to consolidate their forwardline.

How about Ratugolea? #2 Ruck or Backup?

Ratugolea should play KPF and only do ruck work if required in the forward line in my opinion.

They didn't adjust to situations or extract well enough imo.
extract?!? Average clearances 37.3 to opponents 38. We were ranked 3rd in team to opponent disposal differential, which shows the lack of effectiveness with those disposals. Averaged 380 disposals to opponents 360. Sure hitouts were low for the Cats but so were tackles: 66.9 average to opponents 72, which further underlines a lack of effectiveness with their disposal to advantage.

extract?!? Average clearances 37.3 to opponents 38. We were ranked 3rd in team to opponent disposal differential, which shows the lack of effectiveness with those disposals. Averaged 380 disposals to opponents 360. Sure hitouts were low for the Cats but so were tackles: 66.9 average to opponents 72, which further underlines a lack of effectiveness with their disposal to advantage.

We must have lost clearances in the big games where it mattered.(especially finals)
We did have big wins against more lowly teams that would've pumped the averages.
I reckon those averages flatter us a bit.
It was well documented throughout the year not just me.

Last edited:
I'm not making a point about the averages, am making a point about the lack of effectiveness with the Cats use of the ball when they do get it. This would be why the Cats struggled the most when it mattered most against teams in contention imo coz we weren't taking advantage of our opportunities when we had them and I put that on Chris Scott for ball movement and polish with skills!

Ball use at times was horrendous for sure, it's part of the reason l like a stable forwardline with a stay home CHF.
I like 2 rucks and a quality CHF l suppose as opposed to the CHF switch with 1.5 rucks.
I think two fit rucks helps the midfield and forwardline efficency.
I'd like a change of strategy from last year Fort/Abbott may allow for that.

If Fort can hold down the no1 ruck spot,Stanley could have a ball as the no2,with extra space to work in at the center bounce with his pace and a small opponent at times he could become a match winner streaming forward out of the square,Bonus Sav and Blits settle in key positions.

Ball use at times was horrendous for sure, it's part of the reason l like a stable forwardline with a stay home CHF.
I like 2 rucks and a quality CHF l suppose as opposed to the CHF switch with 1.5 rucks.
I think two fit rucks helps the midfield and forwardline efficency.
I'd like a change of strategy from last year Fort/Abbott may allow for that.
I have always preferred Tomahawk to play as a CHF coz in the past he has had more impact on games when he worked up the ground and his goal accuracy is pretty good outside 50. Last season Tomahawk finally reached his potential as FF, so I see no need to move him now and the Sav looks like a good fit for CHF. Now that the 6-6-6 format is coming into play, maybe it would be more ideal to have CHF play deep but I would still prefer to see the Sav use his marking presence up the ground and have the mosquito brigade providing options by leading into space entering F50. Yeah am keen on Fort, I think he will provide the Cats a physical presence in contested situations.

Last edited:
Hawk is better in space no doubt imo either, but with Sav up there it will keep opposition defenders busy watching both.
Helps Hawkins for sure, possibly Sav could play the Podsiadly role as the flying big man with the smalls cleaning up on what ex to ground.
They could alternate FF and CHF whatever works best on the day.
Maybe someone else pinch hits in the ruck or we run two rucks?
The forwardline needs a shake up l reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we start the year playing two rucks with two key forwards. I probably wouldn’t play Smith and Fort but a combo of the others would work well. None of the other rucks can be relied on to play every week. And with the midfield being so strong we need to get a better advantage at the ruck contest. Hopefully Fort or Smith can play with Stanley and Abbott (when Stanley is injured) playing 2nd ruck and helping elsewhere. They should be able to help forward and also down back.

Is this true? I would not have thought that at all. Carey never seemed that big to me.
Yep last time I checked, he was the exact same height/weight as Carey at the peak of his playing career ...that may have changed slightly since then, I haven't compared since I checked over a few years ago. Not sure if it was before or after Tomahawk bulked up for his FF role?!?

Last edited:
Fort could be a good thing here.
Rabbit putting on 6 kgs is good news too.

Smith and Stanley - this is the ultimate shot across the bow. Get it going now or see ya later.

GO Catters

To be fair to the stanley steamer ... getting it going is not the issue ...its keeping it going. Rycs hit a patch of form that made one think he could be a top level ruck beating Gawn etc ...

but considering their age ..I like this pick he fits the mold of a guy who has slowly developed and is now ready to play...at the right age etc.

You don't draft a 25 year old ruckman after re-signing two of the others for a further two years if you don't think he can become the number 1 ruckman next year. Especially after Wells said pre-trade period that he was happy with our ruck stocks.

I reckon the club sees him as an improvement on Stanley, Abbott and Smith and we'll see him play next year.

Id say he has the potential to be better... and having age on his side he should be the one we look at ..if his form ticks all the boxes..

I have always preferred Tomahawk to play as a CHF(exact same height/weight as King Carey btw) .

Carey was only about 192 cm and about 97 kg.

Hawkins is around 198cm and around 103 Kgs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back