Traded 28. Darcy Fort (2019 - 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep..that's where some of that 6kg's gone l hope
Abbott might be mature age but hasn't been at the club very long ... there is a big development phase especially if you're tall and lean like Abbott and Fort are.
It's a tough role to play these days (ruck) these guys are expected to run the ground like a midfielder and they can.
I was talking about Fort but agree that it’s good Abbott has put on some size.

Mostly durability for 2019 ( Stanley)
I thought Abbott displayed enough to mount a challenge to Stanley if he improved both physically and technically
pre season.
I also think Abbott has an aggressive edge, at least appears that way to me, but it's up to Abbott to take it from Rhys it's far from a done deal.

Yeah, I really like Abbott. I don't know if my valuation of him is inflated due to good games against ordinary ruckmen (Nankervis and Darcy) though. He did struggle against Gawn and Witts, though he still managed to push forward and kick a goal against Witts - we got slaughtered in clearances in both of those games.

I don't think that's the case, the CS said in many pressers this year that the strategy was to play just one ruckman.
Yeah, I'm not saying it wasn't the case, but for quite a few games we really only had one option.
It's quite possible that the one ruck policy was implemented because they didn't have faith in being able to get two rucks working together regularly.
With more options, and it seems a deliberate drafting strategy (Fort), we may be seeing a change of that policy.

They both need bigger bodies just saying looks like Abbotts added some.

Re - Fort and he needs to put on physical size etc

Last week after Geel had recruited basically all Sth Australians ( and Wells has had a gold mine in SA before ) i had a look at the Ade and Pt Adelaide boards to see if there were any comments re the Geel SA recruits - because they would have seen them play

And there were a few comments on the Port board - happy to see Fort to get an opportunity at last - and that he wont be "Monstering " their SANFL ruckman anymore

So he might already have the size and strength mate

Yeah, I really like Abbott. I don't know if my valuation of him is inflated due to good games against ordinary ruckmen (Nankervis and Darcy)
Re - Fort and he needs to put on physical size etc

Last week after Geel had recruited basically all Sth Australians ( and Wells has had a gold mine in SA before ) i had a look at the Ade and Pt Adelaide boards to see if there were any comments re the Geel SA recruits - because they would have seen them play

And there were a few comments on the Port board - happy to see Fort to get an opportunity at last - and that he wont be "Monstering " their SANFL ruckman anymore

So he might already have the size and strength mate

Not saying he hasn't friend, only trying to temper expectations a little and cut him some slack.
At 99kg he's not particularly heavy for his height, that's my only reference.
I thought he was an excellent choice one we "needed" to make.

Sav key forward for my team Kitty.....Hawkins out to CHF...

That seems to be the consensus here. I really liked what I saw in Sav, when rucking, which can be seen in the images I posted. Especially his second + third efforts, if he doesn't win the Clearance. After Sav play WCE, Natanui Tweeted someone like 'The guy can play/ruck'. But that was when Stanley + Smith were faltering. Now, with the recruitment of Fort, I'd like to see how the team goes with Stanley, Smith (if he can get his head together), Abbot + Fort.

With the absence of Sav, Tomahawk was doing a bit of Ruck work, but as you said, Tomahawk to CHF because he relishes that role + Sav to FF, doing a bit of Ruck in our Forward pocket, if our Ruckman aren't around.

I'm just about to burst, I'm so excited to see Sav play again.

That seems to be the consensus here. I really liked what I saw in Sav, when rucking, which can be seen in the images I posted. Especially his second + third efforts, if he doesn't win the Clearance. After Sav play WCE, Natanui Tweeted someone like 'The guy can play/ruck'. But that was when Stanley + Smith were faltering. Now, with the recruitment of Fort, I'd like to see how the team goes with Stanley, Smith (if he can get his head together), Abbot + Fort.

With the absence of Sav, Tomahawk was doing a bit of Ruck work, but as you said, Tomahawk to CHF because he relishes that role + Sav to FF, doing a bit of Ruck in our Forward pocket, if our Ruckman aren't around.

I'm just about to burst, I'm so excited to see Sav play again.

Hawk CHF and Sav FF, either could manage forward rucking if necessary.
Hawkins is capable of 20+possessions at CHF so l can't see why he should be played anywhere else.
I think FF is to confining for him and better suited to the run and jump of Sav.
They'll either change ruck with Sav at FF or run 2 rucks, the game plan will change week to week imo but sold on Hawk at CHF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I need to come to Ratcat 's defence here...he rated Fogerty superior to Kelly in fact...particularly early in the season.....

Sort of a backhanded defence I guess, bit I do recall that, and he did say Fogerty had potential to develop into a good player...

Cant be bothered finding the link...maybe it was in the welcome Kelly thread

Take my word for it mate....now what he may have said subsequently, I'm not sure, but early on Ratcat rated Fogerty....

So what does that mean he didn't think Kelly could become a good player? Ouch if that's the case. Talk about all time poor predictions. I am not saying Ratcat does this because I don't know but I think the point is making any strong pronouncements on a kid after a few games let alone 20 is ridiculous and ill informed. There is far too much writing off of really inexperience kids on this site and it is either bias or just ignorance. However, what it definitely doesn't show is an understanding of how the game or the development of players works.

Again though I am not saying Ratcat does this cause I haven't noticed it. Just making a general comment.

Hawk CHF and Sav FF, either could manage forward rucking if necessary.
Hawkins is capable of 20+possessions at CHF so l can't see why he should be played anywhere else.
I think FF is to confining for him and better suited to the run and jump of Sav.
They'll either change ruck with Sav at FF or run 2 rucks, the game plan will change week to week imo but sold on Hawk at CHF.

I agree with this and furthermore Hawk is such a good user of the ball. He has shown he can perform Rielwoldt type dominance at CHF when he is forced not to wrestle.

So what does that mean he didn't think Kelly could become a good player? Ouch if that's the case. Talk about all time poor predictions. I am not saying Ratcat does this because I don't know but I think the point is making any strong pronouncements on a kid after a few games let alone 20 is ridiculous and ill informed. There is far too much writing off of really inexperience kids on this site and it is either bias or just ignorance. However, what it definitely doesn't show is an understanding of how the game or the development of players works.

Again though I am not saying Ratcat does this cause I haven't noticed it. Just making a general comment.
Not too thrilled to rehash this, but I'm still pretty sure it was Gregson he was bagging and not Kelly. Kelly was a decent sized mid posting good possession numbers, that's RC's type if ever there was one.

DARCY FORT THREAD PEOPLE:

You know.. big Ruckman type added to the list... mature age... gonna push the 3 on the list already.

Take the other stuff somewhere else - or keep it going and find yourself oddly unable to post.

Go Catters

Close up Fort looks tall enough. Can confirm Upper body needs attention in the gym.

He was stripped and doing simple ball handling drills all the time I was watching. No match sim. No running.
Did see him run a week or two ago.
I am pleased we have a 25 yo project and look forward to watching some match Sim with him actually rucking.

There was talk pre draft of the need for a new prospect. Many of the posts were seeking a younger draftee which flies very much in the face of patience as rucks tend to take the longest to grow into the gig both physically and from a trade craft perspective.

Given the average shelf life of development patience here seems to run 24 months at most, the Fort pick should appease most of these types.

Having been around the outskirts of the main game, he's probably as physically developed as he'll get ( sans the impact of full time list participation vs the VFL list nature of his experience to this point) so the 24 month egg timer should give him good development time on trade craft and fitness.

Not saying he'll be Otten Mk2 or anything but id expect him to push Abbott, Stanley and Smith - potentially one or two of them out the door.

Go Catters

There was talk pre draft of the need for a new prospect. Many of the posts were seeking a younger draftee which flies very much in the face of patience as rucks tend to take the longest to grow into the gig both physically and from a trade craft perspective.

Given the average shelf life of development patience here seems to run 24 months at most, the Fort pick should appease most of these types.

Having been around the outskirts of the main game, he's probably as physically developed as he'll get ( sans the impact of full time list participation vs the VFL list nature of his experience to this point) so the 24 month egg timer should give him good development time on trade craft and fitness.

Not saying he'll be Otten Mk2 or anything but id expect him to push Abbott, Stanley and Smith - potentially one or two of them out the door.

Go Catters

I see Fort as part of a staggered approach to the ruck position. Stanley/Abbott/Smith are currently in the gun, and we're developing Fort as that medium term option and then in the longer term we might see Schlensog or Sav start to develop into that role.

Don't understand the point of a journeyman state league ruckman on the list when we just resigned Abbott.

2 words - ruck depth.

And chances are at least one of Smith Stanley and Abbott depart end 2019.. so getting a bloke in at pick 60 + who has a year to learn, develop and get up to speed could be considered prudent list management.
Of course, it’s veey dependant on how he goes this year to see if it pays off. Go Catters

Don't understand the point of a journeyman state league ruckman on the list when we just resigned Abbott.
Show's how the club regard the current ruckmen on our list. We now have 4 genuine rucks, and 2 part-timers in Blicavs and Sav. The part timers clearly aren't the option but can relieve and backup if required. Of the 4, Stanley has shown the most potential but is wildly inconsistent, Smith couldnt possibly keep his spot on the list next year, Abbott is solid but lacks a high ceiling athletically or ability wise to be first choice ruck and is suited more to a backup. Why not use a 4th round pick on Fort considering these are our options? Clearly the best state league ruck, and he leapfrogs smith and covers Stanley when he gets injured. And if you look at the draft, terrible year for ruck prospects.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back