Senior 13. Jhye Clark (2022 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

Most players don’t end up playing for the team they support so I imagine he is fine like the others. He is living locally with all his friendly and family so I imagine he is a ok.

I can imagine being called the next Joel selwood then arriving at geelong might be quite a nerve wrecking experience for a kid. Might take a bit of time and some of the boys taking him under their wing to settle down
There is less pressure on Clark as most clubs would be expecting their no 8 pick to be playing almost immediately, whereas we can let him settle in the VFL and no one expects him to just walk in to a Premiership midfield.

Who is more likely to be playing for Geelong in 3 years time?
Atkins much more likely to be playing in 3 years than Danger.

Just thought you meant you would prefer Atkins in the side over Danger because you rate Atkins higher, not because he is younger.

I'll take Danger next year when we are going for B2B over Atkins... but we will have both anyway.

There is less pressure on Clark as most clubs would be expecting their no 8 pick to be playing almost immediately, whereas we can let him settle in the VFL and no one expects him to just walk in to a Premiership midfield.
I know this for some reason rubs people the wrong way, but if he is good enough he plays seniors. Nobody is doing some “mandatory apprenticeship “ because it’s good for development playing VFL compared to AFL which is not true.

If he is up to it he plays.

I don't think we should dismiss the possibility of Atkins missing out completly out of hand. His 'talent ceiling' is lower than others so a bolter like bruhn/bowes (or parfitt for that matter) may well keel him out of the best 22.

We are just going to have to wait and see

I havent watched a Geel preseason ie practise matches or whatever - for at least 6-7 years - but i will be watching the pre season games in 2023 because of all the new players etc

And i can remember way back to the 2008 preseason - and i thought it was quite beautiful being called/referred to as the Reigning Premiers

I know this for some reason rubs people the wrong way, but if he is good enough he plays seniors. Nobody is doing some “mandatory apprenticeship “ because it’s good for development playing VFL compared to AFL which is not true.

If he is up to it he plays.

More or less than some other first year players... I think Holmes played 12 in year 1 ..so obviously there is no mandate .If he is good enough he could play something similar. They key will be his preseason form. He would be doing very well to get past Bruhn id have thought

More or less than some other first year players... I think Holmes played 12 in year 1 ..so obviously there is no mandate .If he is good enough he could play something similar. They key will be his preseason form. He would be doing very well to get past Bruhn id have thought
agreed. You play when you warrant it. irrelevant what year you are at. I think where year in the system does come into consideration is fatigue and management as they are historically prone to fade outs as their fitness levels are not as adept as players who have clocked in 5-6 pre seasons of work on the track and in the gym.

i like your optimism on Bruhn, i hope he turns out an A level mid as you have allured to. the starting GWS midfield has been one of the best in the AFL for a long time and star studded with top 5 draft picks out its backside. So no shame not getting a starting gig in that one in your first two seasons.

It's the kinda list matchup I'll be looking at for sure.

Clark v Bruhn... as they supposedly are similar players.

If you put the ball in front of both of them and said "fetch" I reckon Clark would win it more (but if Bruhn can win a hardball better than Clark it will be a great sign).

Clark has very good endurance aswell... Might even outrun the older Bruhn who for mine hasn't shown much run ever (it was even a knock on him in his draft year)... So if Bruhn can become a good AFL runner it'll also be a good thing.

Bruhn has almost no midfield form for GWS over the last two years whilst Clark has been churning out the inside mid role 24/7 with great consistency.

Definitely will be interested in comparing the two... I think Clark will be a fine player (possibly showing a bit next year), so if Bruhn can have a clear better season than him (even though he is older and looks to have more muscle) it'll be a good sign for Bruhn... who I'm obviously skeptical on... The way GWS played him didn't help though as they hardly gave him a sniff of the guts.

Bring on the season.

I'd put this kid with Mullin in the gym. Let them feed off each other. Think Mullin needs the tenacity from Atkins, Clark and Danger. Clark needs the body conditioning from Mullin. I actually think Mullin is next level fitness at our club, from a strength and conditioning perspective, he is the new specimen.

It's the kinda list matchup I'll be looking at for sure.

Clark v Bruhn... as they supposedly are similar players.

If you put the ball in front of both of them and said "fetch" I reckon Clark would win it more (but if Bruhn can win a hardball better than Clark it will be a great sign).

Clark has very good endurance aswell... Might even outrun the older Bruhn who for mine hasn't shown much run ever (it was even a knock on him in his draft year)... So if Bruhn can become a good AFL runner it'll also be a good thing.

Bruhn has almost no midfield form for GWS over the last two years whilst Clark has been churning out the inside mid role 24/7 with great consistency.

Definitely will be interested in comparing the two... I think Clark will be a fine player (possibly showing a bit next year), so if Bruhn can have a clear better season than him (even though he is older and looks to have more muscle) it'll be a good sign for Bruhn... who I'm obviously skeptical on... The way GWS played him didn't help though as they hardly gave him a sniff of the guts.

Bring on the season.
Don't write-off old boy Atkins. The bloke is a fierce animal on the pitch. Mullin is a specimen and will compete even lacking the game know-how so far. See Mullin maybe more a back pocket type, but he might end up a winger because of his wheels and marking and link-up play. I do think Mullin will be more comfortable at least in the first 2-3 seasons coming off the backline. We saw what a bit of time for Atkins did in the backline did to his confidence and ability to win the ball, then they put him in the mid. I can see a similar trajectory with Mullin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also my #31 needs to come out of the cupboard where its been for like 6 years and be used. We need to stop giving #31 to late pick delistees...so clark should get #31 to honour the great jpod man 😂😉
I thought David Mensch and Richard Murrie were the original ones to make #31 famous?

I thought David Mensch and Richard Murrie were the original ones to make #31 famous?

Mensch was the original but Pods took it to a new premiership level 😂 please stop putting late draft picks in the #31 geelong 😂

It's exactly what you want at your footy club though. Our depth now is as good as it's been since the dynasty years.

Creating competition for spots is perfect coming off a flag as well. Will light a fire under a few who might get a bit comfortable after the penultimate success, or at the very least just keep everybody on the improve.

We've all seen what a disaster that ended up being at the Dogs when players took the foot of the gas, can't see that being us next year with the new recruits, incremental improvement and most importantly, culture.
Well said. You could see with Melbourne 2022 that they did not have depth and no competition for spots. It allowed bad form to be rewarded and in the end the fell hard.

Depth and injury management is key to your flag chances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back