Senior 45. Bradley Close (2020-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Some Higlights

GO Catters

I think the press is misleading on Close. In the SANFL finals, which I watched live, Close was up and down the ground all day, and i recall in the GF him picking up plenty of touches around the back flank. I suspect he is more of a small midfielder than a small forward.
From things i have read he is versatile player who can and has played small forward as well as wing/outside mid

The highlights on the Geelong website showing him to be comfortable snapping for goal off his left.
Wonder if he's related to the very classy former Bomber, Robin Close..he was a 187 cm forward, and a left footer iirc

Absolutely stoked Brad has been picked up by an AFL team. He played his junior cricket at my club and by 14 was picking up MOTM awards.His dad was a gun country footballer but I think Brad is the better player. Closey has done it the hard way, making sure he has his studies behind him and then football but still managed to play all season for the premiers of the HFF with stints in the guts in the SANFL.

A natural goal sneak with really quick hands who sees what is unfolding before others, he is a good rookie pick with some real potential being put in a system as good as Geelongs is. He may not make but it won't be because he didn't give it 110% and left every last piece of himself on the track...I thin he will make it and will probably make a trip to the Cattery if he suits up to cheer him on
Awesome information.
Do you happen to know if he is at all related to Robin Close, a former Essendon HFF?

Awesome information.
Do you happen to know if he is at all related to Robin Close, a former Essendon HFF?

Don't think he is mate, have had a few good discussions with the old man and talked a fair amount of footy, was never brought up.

I thought you may have appreciated I didn't use the "think he is a Close relation"

Still really stoked the kid got picked though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really hope we get a bit of rivalry going here. Round 13 Norwood versus Glenelg this year there were three players who kicked 4 goals. We just drafted 2.
View attachment 786817

Only sour puss about that is seeing Liam mcbean kicked 4.3 in the same game... like getting 100% on a quiz then looking over and the drooler in the class also got 100%.

I don’t mind this pick up. Could make a handy winger I reckon.

Pure_Ownage he might be the outside winger we are after?

Watching the vid ... I like the heads up play he showed... he sopped and wheeled and found someone.. Id like to see more of his kicking id not say he looks anything more that adequate on that limited viewing but that might be OK if he can make time and space for himself..

I don’t mind this pick up. Could make a handy winger I reckon.

Pure_Ownage he might be the outside winger we are after?
The way Troy Selwood described him reminded me of Menegola - high HFF who works well up the ground then has the tank to get ahead of the ball on the way back.

Watching the vid ... I like the heads up play he showed... he sopped and wheeled and found someone.. Id like to see more of his kicking id not say he looks anything more that adequate on that limited viewing but that might be OK if he can make time and space for himself..
The way Troy Selwood described him reminded me of Menegola - high HFF who works well up the ground then has the tank to get ahead of the ball on the way back.

Difficult to make judgements from a 1 minute video but he looks to have some nice skill and an ability to find space. Obviously that will be more difficult at AFL level but he seems too have some good smarts. Duel sided, excellent acceleration and some nouse around goal.

Not sure I see the Menegola comparison Jester but he does remind me a bit of Nathan Foley - probably the Tigers jumper!

Last edited:
Difficult to make judgements from a 1 minute video but he looks to have some nice skill and an ability to find space. Obviously that will be more difficult at AFL level but he seems too have some good smarts. Duel sided, excellent acceleration and some noise around goal.

Not sure I see the Menegola comparison Jester but he does remind me a bit of Nathan Foley - probably the Tigers jumper!
I think that is more in terms of role - agree that on the highlights video he looked more dynamic than Menegola. Like the way he seemed to read the fall of the ball.

Difficult to make judgements from a 1 minute video but he looks to have some nice skill and an ability to find space. Obviously that will be more difficult at AFL level but he seems too have some good smarts. Duel sided, excellent acceleration and some noise around goal.

Not sure if he reminds me of anyone yet ... Menegoala ? ... cant say that was my first thought.

WE do have a lot Pure ... make me wonder ..how does our number stack up against otehr sides .. have we decided to go shorter etc..

Wing .. perhaps .. He and Evans do not sound much different.. ..and Tarca has a season on them

Maybe it's a risk by numbers type deal, knowing they all won't make it but if the club sees these kind of players as a necessity moving into the future it would make sense to over draft for the position when available then cut away over the coming years.

Richmond has shown how useful these competitive small fwd/mids are, the ones we have gone after all seem to have good footy IQ and goal sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back