Analysis With so many clubs in jeopardy during the coronavirus, is it time for WA to bail out VIC again?

Remove this Banner Ad

How is this thread still going.

Send one Vic club to Tassie and one north to replace Gold Coast and problem fixed.

How is this thread still going.

Send one Vic club to Tassie and one north to replace Gold Coast and problem fixed.
And who changed my thread title??

But anyway, my summary of this thread is: Vic club supporters clinging to their premierships from the 1800's to still seem relevant, West Coast supporters throwing their piles of cash at the homeless on the street and Gil running around in circles with his hands in the air while the whole world burns.

We'll get through this.

Vic club supporters clinging to their premierships from the 1800's to still seem relevant

Where has this been posted in this thread? Are you also suggesting that the 2018 or 2019 flag is irrelevant in 2120? Is that how it works?

What bout the 1990 or, 92, 94 flags are they irrelevant too?

Where has this been posted in this thread? Are you also suggesting that the 2018 or 2019 flag is irrelevant in 2120? Is that how it works?

What bout the 1990 or, 92, 94 flags are they irrelevant too?

No I'm suggesting premierships won before the competition became professional are irrelevant.

No I'm suggesting premierships won before the competition became professional are irrelevant.

Players have been paid in some form or another in this league for nearly a century, possibly since it's inception. Irrelevant anyway in 100 years footy will likely be at a much higher standard, so going by your logic flags now will be irrelevant in 2120.

And what has that to do with your point? i:e WA bailing out Vic clubs? And why is it that it's only Vic clubs that need bailing out? What about the money pits in gc, gws and to a lesser extent Bris? Is it because they're not Vic clubs that they're exempt from any bailing out?

And why should WA bail out these clubs? Are you talking about WA taxpayers money? WC and Freo members money? What about Twiggy Forrest? Who is this WA that you talk about bailing out only Vic clubs? Who is it exactly?

This whole thread is just a display of your inferiority complex about wa footy not being the big dawg in town. Sad really.

Players have been paid in some form or another in this league for nearly a century, possibly since it's inception. Irrelevant anyway in 100 years footy will likely be at a much higher standard, so going by your logic flags now will be irrelevant in 2120.

And what has that to do with your point? i:e WA bailing out Vic clubs? And why is it that it's only Vic clubs that need bailing out? What about the money pits in gc, gws and to a lesser extent Bris? Is it because they're not Vic clubs that they're exempt from any bailing out?

And why should WA bail out these clubs? Are you talking about WA taxpayers money? WC and Freo members money? What about Twiggy Forrest? Who is this WA that you talk about bailing out only Vic clubs? Who is it exactly?

This whole thread is just a display of your inferiority complex about wa footy not being the big dawg in town. Sad really.
Lol...so much salt

Lol...so much salt

Yes I agree a lot of salt from the op, that is evident in that the thread is total speculation and insinuates another wafc / vfl expansion situation where the wafc bails out the vfl in exchange for a licence to compete in that very competition.

Probably more an inferiority complex than salt from the op though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see you’re a Wimbledon fan. Did you follow them when they were still at Plough Lane or in more recent years?

I'm a big tennis fan, but I understand that amateur era grand slams are not as valuable as grand slams won in the open era. Prior to 1968, Wimbledon and the other 3 Grand Slams were only open to amateur players, and excluded some of the best players in the game at the time. All time greats like Rod Laver were excluded from participating, and the tennis world was poorer for it.

Tennis is a great analogy to explain why there should be clear demarcation between state level VFL and our national competition.

Yes we all know what happened back in the bad old 80's, the beginning of the AFL, right? And the fact that era was bourne thanks to the blood, sweat and tears of Western Australia. Not to mention the creation of a club that had to sell its soul to the VFL to bail out a bankrupt competition in the first place.

Nevertheless, here we are again. Two of the most powerful and profitable clubs in this pissant league will probably be asked to donate money again to a couple of suburban league clubs masquerading as proper organisations run by amateurs. And yet again, history repeats.

AFL, you're welcome.

I don’t know how this kind of baiting shitpost survives on the main board for as long has it has.

To: The OP writer etc.

Memo: NO.

Ch.9 WWOS C. Wilson 16.3

"The AFL is on the verge of extending its current TV rights deal for 2 years ...The AFL receives $418m per year, and according to Wilson, the same amount (ie @ $418m pa- my words) will now continue to 2024.

"It will be announced in months, possibly 1 month" said Wilson, a multi-award winning , very experienced AFL journalist.

Colossal news for the AFL.

Ch.9 WWOS C. Wilson 16.3

"The AFL is on the verge of extending its current TV rights deal for 2 years ...The AFL receives $418m per year, and according to Wilson, the same amount (ie @ $418m pa- my words) will now continue to 2024.

"It will be announced in months, possibly 1 month" said Wilson, a multi-award winning , very experienced AFL journalist.

That would be great news is true.

Let's not forget that this article came out before the season (and society) shut down.

While I am sure that AFL would take an extension in a heartbeat. I would imagine events of the last two weeks have put this deal on the back burner and parties to the deal would be waiting to see how this season pans out at a minimum before committing to an extension.

I'm a big tennis fan, but I understand that amateur era grand slams are not as valuable as grand slams won in the open era. Prior to 1968, Wimbledon and the other 3 Grand Slams were only open to amateur players, and excluded some of the best players in the game at the time. All time greats like Rod Laver were excluded from participating, and the tennis world was poorer for it.

Tennis is a great analogy to explain why there should be clear demarcation between state level VFL and our national competition.
That is only part of the story really. For most of tennis history prior to 1968 the majority of the best players remained amateurs for all or most of their careers, and as such were able to play in the grand slams. Rod Laver actually spanned the eras and won slams (grand slams even) in the amateur and open eras. No-one discounts the six majors he won prior to turning professional.

That is only part of the story really. For most of tennis history prior to 1968 the majority of the best players remained amateurs for all or most of their careers, and as such were able to play in the grand slams. Rod Laver actually spanned the eras and won slams (grand slams even) in the amateur and open eras. No-one discounts the six majors he won prior to turning professional.

But his Grand Slam in 1969 is held in higher regard than when he won it in 1962(?).

Not all the best players were amateurs. It was Tennis' class war. Many great players had to turn pro in order to make a quid, people who were born in to upper class country club families were able to stay amateur and compete in Wimbledon and other slams.

Many tennis records are caveated with "in the open era" implying that there may be a superior record that occurred before open era tennis, however due to the structure of the sport, this record is of lesser value.

For instance, Margaret Court has 24 slams, however people more often talk about Serena's 23 and Graf's 22 as being bench marks due to occurring in the open era.

But his Grand Slam in 1969 is held in higher regard than when he won it in 1962(?).

Not all the best players were amateurs. It was Tennis' class war. Many great players had to turn pro in order to make a quid, people who were born in to upper class country club families were able to stay amateur and compete in Wimbledon and other slams.

For instance, Margaret Court has 24 slams, however people more often talk about Serena's 23 and Graf's 22 as being bench marks due to occurring in the open era.
Back in the late eighties, other guys raved on about Sabatini, but I was all about Steffi Graf.

Ch.9 WWOS C. Wilson 16.3

I'm not sure why this is such 'great news'.

I would have thought that a new 5 year contract with an increased value per year would have been better news.

All this tells me is that the value of the product has remained stagnant and there is little confidence in the long term value beyond the next couple of years.

I'm not sure why this is such 'great news'.

I would have thought that a new 5 year contract with an increased value per year would have been better news.

All this tells me is that the value of the product has remained stagnant and there is little confidence in the long term value beyond the next couple of years.

Given that 7 have been having issues with rating before COVID-19 there was already concern around the size of the future broadcast deal.

To get 2 more years out of the current deal would've been a good result, given everything that has happened in the last month, it's almost too good to be true.

Given that 7 have been having issues with rating before COVID-19 there was already concern around the size of the future broadcast deal.

To get 2 more years out of the current deal would've been a good result, given everything that has happened in the last month, it's almost too good to be true.
It says that FTA football is on its last legs. If they aren't trying to get 9 or 10 to bid for it, this doesn't bode well for the casual viewer.

Many tennis records are caveated with "in the open era" implying that there may be a superior record that occurred before open era tennis, however due to the structure of the sport, this record is of lesser value.

I suppose Bradman's 99.9% average is not as good as Steve Smiths or David Warners because they are in the now. Your disrespect of past performance is quite ridiculous, you come across as a school kid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back