Analysis With so many clubs in jeopardy during the coronavirus, is it time for WA to bail out VIC again?

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m currently writing an autobiography about my first 20 years living in WA, it’s titled “Bintang singlets, drink red cordial when you’re in Kuta, you won’t get Bali belly, SS utes and jet-skis, Vico bias, and what’s coffee? - one mans tale of moving from Melbourne to Perth” . Hopefully it will be out before Christmas.

Last edited:
You are living in the wrong century, try 1011.

Oh and it’s you are, not your.

To give credit where credit is due, the doggies have surprised me with their financial strength through this. Doggies are full of fight.

A great testament to Peter Gordon and the Bulldogs administration (even if it was built off the back of the scourge that is pokies).

I have to say I did love your previous post regretting the decision to "let us join".

I haven't got off on another persons salt like that in a long time.

Hope you mention how you miss the yiros, sudanese gangs, crap weather, concrete gardens and wall to wall foreigners and muslim prayer song 5 times a day where you come from.
Seriously, WA is what Siberia is to Russia - extremely remote. There are no mosques anywhere near where I live. Yes, there are plenty of foreigners who have made Melbourne home and helped transform this city into a great cosmopolitan metropolis and one of the undisputed foodie destinations (not my words but those of the great, late Anthony Bourdain). Not sure about concrete gardens, but I dare say there are more green parks surrounding Melbourne's CBD than parks surrounding Perth. Oh, and let's not forget WCE and Freo voluntarily chose to join the revamped VFL. I rest my case

Seriously, WA is what Siberia is to Russia - extremely remote. There are no mosques anywhere near where I live. Yes, there are plenty of foreigners who have made Melbourne home and helped transform this city into a great cosmopolitan metropolis and one of the undisputed foodie destinations (not my words but those of the great, late Anthony Bourdain). Not sure about concrete gardens, but I dare say there are more green parks surrounding Melbourne's CBD than parks surrounding Perth. Oh, and let's not forget WCE and Freo voluntarily chose to join the revamped VFL. I rest my case

LOL,

This thread has become so stupid.

As someone who has lived in both places, both Perth and Melbourne have their up and downsides.

Perth is naturally beautiful with perfect weather, great beaches and lots of open space.

Melbourne is great too, for a variety of different reasons many of which you pointed out.

My experience is many people who live in Perth don't really enjoy Melbourne's grimey vibe, and that's there right.

LOL,

This thread has become so stupid.

...says the poster who's contributed to this thread 74 times (over double the nearest contributor) :rolleyes:

Hope you mention how you miss the yiros, sudanese gangs, crap weather, concrete gardens and wall to wall foreigners and muslim prayer song 5 times a day where you come from.
We just have Aboriginal gangs and sweet destinations like Elizabeth Quay. Didn’t hear one Muslim prayer song in my 18 years in Melbourne. Typical narrow minded Westaustralian. Feel free to get out of WA, travel the world and experience some different cultures. There’s more to life than watching MMA at the local pub and smashing down Emu Export whilst yelling at the ‘missus’.

I’m currently writing an autobiography about my first 20 years living in WA, it’s titled “Bintang singlets, drink red cordial when you’re in Kuta, you won’t get Bali belly, SS utes and jet-skis, Vico bias, and what’s coffee? - one mans tale of moving from Melbourne to Perth” . Hopefully it will be out before Christmas.
Hate is such a negative emotion mate. Time to let it go?

Yeah... the VFL clubs kept the WAFL clubs afloat with 6 figure transfer fees for every WA player who crossed the Nullabor to play in the best comp
I miss those days....watching SOO football and picking out the next interstaters to be lured to Victoria

Lol, criticizing Perths natural beauty is like criticizing Melbourne for its lack of Greek restaurants.

Hilarious how this thread has become a "my cityyyyy is better than your cityyyyy" argument 😂.

The Vic v WA argument hasnt got past:

Vics: Without us your team woudlnt exist.
WAs: Without us you would have gone bankrupt.

And on we go. Think it's time for a BF break. This forum has gone down hill fast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WAs: Without us you would have gone bankrupt.
It's a myth. It's just bollocks that gets repeated ad nauseum on Big Footy which has no basis in fact.

VFL clubs were heavily in debt and spending more than they could afford because that's how everyone operated in the 1980's. People & businesses lived beyond their means. Think of the rise of Bondy and Skase.

Back then, VFL clubs weren't run properly as businesses anyway. They were sporting clubs; they weren't incorporated. They operated with impunity outside of the normal regulations... Cowboys who wanted to win the flag at any cost (or keep up in the "arms race") and didn't think laws and financial constraints applied to them. They continued to trade while heavily in debt... because they could... Any normal business would've been in receivership.

They could've been reined in, if the VFL commission had wanted them to. But aside from the salary cap, it never really came to that.

WA didn't "save" football with their $4 million license fee (LOL:D) It's a total exaggeration.

What "saved" footy was the move towards live matches on TV and the massive financial boost from the broadcast rights. The national comp accelerated that because from 1987, Victorian fans could watch at least 2 games live (or on 30 min delay) every weekend. Channel 7 wouldn't accept the VFL's demands, so they had a one year separation. Channel 7's ratings nose-dived, but they came back to the party in 1988 with HUGE dollars.

It would've come about anyway, even without matches played outside of Victoria. But everyone was still very conservative about protecting their attendances & gate takings. Eventually they would've been lured by the TV money, with or without the non-Vic clubs

Last edited:
It's a myth. It's just bollocks that gets repeated ad nauseum on Big Footy which has no basis in fact.

VFL clubs were heavily in debt and spending more than they could afford because that's how everyone operated in the 1980's. People & businesses lived beyond their means. Think of the rise of Bondy and Skase.

Back then, VFL clubs weren't run properly as businesses anyway. They were sporting clubs; they weren't incorporated. They operated with impunity outside of the normal regulations... Cowboys who wanted to win the flag at any cost (or keep up in the "arms race") and didn't think laws and financial constraints applied to them. They continued to trade while heavily in debt... because they could... Any normal buisness would've been in receivership. They could've been reined in, if the VFL commission had wanted them to.

WA didn't "save" football with their $4 million license fee (LOL:D) It's a total exaggeration.

What "saved" footy was the move towards live matches on TV and the massive financial boost from the broadcast rights. The national comp accelerated that because from 1987, Victorian fans could watch at least 2 games live (or on 30 min delay) every weekend. Channel 7 wouldn't accept the VFL's demands, so they had a one year separation in '97. Channel 7's ratings nose-dived, but they came back to the party in 1988 with HUGE dollars.

It would've come about anyway, even without matched played outside of Victoria. But everyone was still very conservative about protecting their attendances & gate takings. Eventually they would've been lured by the TV money, with or without the non-Vic clubs

Saving football: New documents reveal how close the VFL came to shutting down

It's garbage. It's like newspaper articles saying Hawthorn came close to merging in 1996. Which they weren't, of course.. Merger talks happened, but when people got wind of it, there was uproar. It went to a vote and the members told the AFL (and Melbourne) to go and get f**ked. So it was never gonna happen...

You could write an article right now (or last year pre-Corona) about how AFL footy clubs are facing imminent bankruptcy. But it's not reality.

It's the same now as it was then: The worth of clubs isn't measured by their bank balance. It's measured by their earning capacity. i.e how much revenue they can generate each year. So you can't take a few poorly performed clubs in isolation. You have to look at the strength of the competition as a whole.

e.g. North might have shitty attendances and low membership, but their main value to the AFL is they're one of 18 pieces of a lucrative TV product which sees 9 games televised every weekend to millions of viewers. Outsiders might look at their balance sheet and shake their heads, but the AFL doles out just enough money to each club to keep them running. If you look at North as a 1/18th shareholder of the AFL's $800 million a year business, then it's nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

Back then, VFL clubs weren't run properly as businesses anyway. They were sporting clubs; they weren't incorporated. They operated with impunity outside of the normal regulations... Cowboys who wanted to win the flag at any cost (or keep up in the "arms race") and didn't think laws and financial constraints applied to them. They continued to trade while heavily in debt... because they could... Any normal business would've been in receivership.

They could've been reined in, if the VFL commission had wanted them to. But aside from the salary cap, it never really came to that.

What "saved" footy was the move towards live matches on TV and the massive financial boost from the broadcast rights. The national comp accelerated that because from 1987, Victorian fans could watch at least 2 games live (or on 30 min delay) every weekend. Channel 7 wouldn't accept the VFL's demands, so they had a one year separation. Channel 7's ratings nose-dived, but they came back to the party in 1988 with HUGE dollars.

It would've come about anyway, even without matches played outside of Victoria. But everyone was still very conservative about protecting their attendances & gate takings. Eventually they would've been lured by the TV money, with or without the non-Vic clubs

And on it goes...

And that 4 million you loled at was the total net worth of the VFL in 1986 😂 so yeah, kinda was a big deal.

Last edited:
Lucky for you, a few years later you got to watch them beat your team in a grand final.....Twice!

Life comes at you fast.
That’s perhaps why I miss those days. Geelong did very well out of WA - Roy West, Polly Farmer, Denis Marshall, Bryan Cousin, Brian Peake and I’m sure there are plenty more examples

Last edited:
To give credit where credit is due, the doggies have surprised me with their financial strength through this. Doggies are full of fight.

A great testament to Peter Gordon and the Bulldogs administration (even if it was built off the back of the scourge that is pokies).

I have to say I did love your previous post regretting the decision to "let us join".

I haven't got off on another persons salt like that in a long time.
Well, the Bulldogs re-purposing a handout that was given to them for redevelopment suddenly becoming 'profit' speaks volumes.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back