With so many HB/Medium backs, can we boost the midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

But why wouldn't we consider Kelly in midfield. In the preseason (and I know its only preseason) he showed a fantastic ability to get in and under of packs and extract the ball. Runs hard and I would feel comfortable that he could bury himself in and not get pushed off the ball too easily. All the other mids like Atkins, Cameron and co are too light to go head to head with the likes of Kennedy, Danger and co. I would like to see the club have one more other than Sloane that could go in and under (excl. Thompson and Brouch for obvious reasons)

Pretty good suggestion, the attribute I like of Kelly's game is his attack on the ball and body. I really can't see him being a first choice player in front of Lever, Smith, Brown, Cheney and even Doodee (a first round draft pick is going to get tried at some stage) in defence but players with hardness are severely underrated and hard to find. His kicking does let him down and I have no idea what his stamina levels are like but you're right he has the physical attributes to go head to head with these bigger bodied mids.
It's pretty obvious our midfield is a weakness so why not experiment and throw a few players on the ball in the SANFL. The SANFL is the perfect spot to be more creative and see if we can unearth a couple of new options.
The Crows coaching staff in my opinion have till now showed very little imagination in both positional and player management. It's a long season and we need to be playing players that are fit, healthy and in form. This means resting and dropping players and getting enough games into a larger squad of so called fringe players so we don't have a repeat of last years finals.
Worth a punt I reckon.

Pretty good suggestion, the attribute I like of Kelly's game is his attack on the ball and body. I really can't see him being a first choice player in front of Lever, Smith, Brown, Cheney and even Doodee (a first round draft pick is going to get tried at some stage) in defence but players with hardness are severely underrated and hard to find. His kicking does let him down and I have no idea what his stamina levels are like but you're right he has the physical attributes to go head to head with these bigger bodied mids.
It's pretty obvious our midfield is a weakness so why not experiment and throw a few players on the ball in the SANFL. The SANFL is the perfect spot to be more creative and see if we can unearth a couple of new options.
The Crows coaching staff in my opinion have till now showed very little imagination in both positional and player management. It's a long season and we need to be playing players that are fit, healthy and in form. This means resting and dropping players and getting enough games into a larger squad of so called fringe players so we don't have a repeat of last years finals.
Worth a punt I reckon.
Kelly right from his national draft 3km run has always been considered an absolute endurance athlete

Worth a punt I reckon.

He'd be good to play in the midfield against Geelong to "do a Vince" on Dangerfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back