With what picks?

Remove this Banner Ad

This is turning out to be a weird trade week.

For some reason all the top clubs are trying to snipe multiple high-profile targets...with no picks.

Geelong: Deledio & Tuohy (no 1st; late 2nd; did not pick in 1st & 2nd 2015)
Collingwood: Rockliff (no 1st; did not use 1st or 2nd in 2015; 2x FS choices)
Hawthorn: Jaeger & Mitchell (late 1sts)

How the hell are these deals going to get done without the club losing the player getting screwed? Mitchell alone is worth a 1st and a 2nd; Jaeger a 1st & knives; Deledio and Tuohy at least a 2nd each and Rocky starts st a 1st. None of them have the picks. Are we about to see 4 clubs get royally screwed?

Picks, future picks, players...

It's not impossible.
Not with the future picks rule. Geelong and Collingwood theoretically can't trade out of this year's first due to the four year rule. That or they have to try and trade back in next year, which is easier said than done.

For some reason all the top clubs are trying to snipe multiple high-profile targets...with no picks.

How the hell are these deals going to get done without the club losing the player getting screwed? Mitchell alone is worth a 1st and a 2nd; Jaeger a 1st & knives; Deledio and Tuohy at least a 2nd each and Rocky starts st a 1st. None of them have the picks. Are we about to see 4 clubs get royally screwed?

"Brisbane gets screwed" isn't exactly a new concept during trade week.

Not with the future picks rule. Geelong and Collingwood theoretically can't trade out of this year's first due to the four year rule. That or they have to try and trade back in next year, which is easier said than done.

I was referring more to us.

Geelong could be trading out Vardy and Motlop which could help enable deals for Deledio and Touhy.

Not sure how Collingwood gets Rockliff. Frost wants to go to Brisbane but they'll need to offer much more than that.

Someone posted a scenario where we trade out Vardy and Motlop for 2 picks in the 20s. One for Thouy, one for Deledio (IF we're going for him). Maybe some steak knives either way, but it's not as if it's ridiculously out of the question.

Hawthorn will trade Hill and will probably end up having to trade one other Best 22 (Sicily, Breust, Hartung, Duryea, whoever.....). Both trades plus both first rounders will easily get it done.

Collingwood are getting rid of Witts, Frost and Cloke, plus apparently Brown is moving on too. Combined, they should be able to cobble together something....might be tricky, but again, not impossible.

Have you not been listening to trade radio? Brisbane get lemon Witts, Frost & Thomas!

From a Collingwood perspective, I doubt there's serious interest in Rockliff, just Barrett fishing for a story. But just on the bolded, we did use a 2nd in 2015. Pick 32.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong the real dodgey bastards, used all trade capital last year for two years (most of their deals were short last year) and can't in good faith say they have the capital for Deledio and Tuohy. But Tuohy has nominated, so Geelong shrug their shoulders and say this is the best we can do.

Pretenders under Scott. Hope it sours their trading reputation.

I assume you mean next year's first round, and at least Collingwood can (haven't looked at Geelong). Collingwood took two players in 2014, so have 2014-2017 stitched up. It's only when it rolls over to 2018 that they find themselves limited, having only one in the 2015-2018 period.

Oh yeah sorry about that.

Ron-Burgundy-Saying-I-Dont-Believe-You.gif

It was a three/four way deal involving multiple picks and players.
Realisticly however? Teams will get involved with high profile trades. I dont see anyone getting involved to fetch geelong two second round picks with only vardy/motlop going out

Hawthorn probably need to bite the bullet and add a senior player to one of their deals (probably the O'Meara one). In probability they probably could get both of them with picks assuming Hill leaves for that Mayne compo, but I reckon one of them will hold out.

Geelong though? I don't see how Motlop and Vardy are enough to get both Tuohy and Deledio given that their highest pick is 36-38.

The Hawks played their cards very, very well last year. They starved North of a first round pick for spud Anderson so they could use their 2 picks and then go shopping in 2016 for the out-of-contract midfield guns. At the time, Mitchell, JOM, Prestia, B.Crouch, Neale and Gaff were all out of contract. God I admire their recruitment team

Hawthorn probably need to bite the bullet and add a senior player to one of their deals (probably the O'Meara one). In probability they probably could get both of them with picks assuming Hill leaves for that Mayne compo, but I reckon one of them will hold out.

Geelong though? I don't see how Motlop and Vardy are enough to get both Tuohy and Deledio given that their highest pick is 36-38.

Probably try to bundle Vardy and our second for one and Motlop for the other. But I don't really like it, we are going to be out of two drafts in a row and it sets us up for a list profile issue later on.

Tuohy will be a 2017 2nd rounder i think we will try and use a third club to bundle up picks we get for departing players (kersten vardy etc) to get a pick in the 20s for richmond.

History says that when hawthorn and geelong target trades they almost always get them done so will be interesting to see what happens.

Are geelong after deledio AND tuohy though. May be satisfied with tuohy now. Without deledio nominating us it may just fizzle out from here.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Geelong the real dodgey bastards, used all trade capital last year for two years (most of their deals were short last year) and can't in good faith say they have the capital for Deledio and Tuohy. But Tuohy has nominated, so Geelong shrug their shoulders and say this is the best we can do.

Pretenders under Scott. Hope it sours their trading reputation.

Geelong will find a way to make it happen they have the cap space and will bundle up picks (Geelong 3rd + Whatever they get for Kersten)
to get back into 2nd round

2nd Round - ZT
Trade Motlop for pick between 15-30
Trade that pick to Richmond for Deledio

Job done?

Geelong will find a way to make it happen they have the cap space and will bundle up picks (Geelong 3rd + Whatever they get for Kersten)
to get back into 2nd round

2nd Round - ZT
Trade Motlop for pick between 15-30
Trade that pick to Richmond for Deledio

Job done?

Tuohy worth more and no one's touching Motlop, his contract or the Geelong boards "hypothesised trade value" of him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back