With what picks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong will find a way to make it happen they have the cap space and will bundle up picks (Geelong 3rd + Whatever they get for Kersten)

Freo aren't flush with second rounders

In fact they have none

Hoping (obviously) we won't end up screwed but between the prospects thrown up in exchange for Prestia and O'Meara it's not looking good

I have a public announcement on the limitations on trading future first round picks:
- If you don't use two first rounders from 2015-2018, then in 2019 you can't trade your 2019 or 2020 first rounder.
- That's it, that's the punishment. It's barely a disincentive.
- So until 2019, clubs can trade any first rounder they want.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-12/the-futurepick-puzzle

Last edited:
I have a public announcement on the limitations on trading future first round picks:
- If you don't use two first rounders from 2015-2018, then in 2019 you can't trade your 2020 first rounder.

It's called trade away your future for the next 5 years so that your coach can sure up their position for the next season or two. North started it, now Collingwood and perhaps Geelong are following suit. With the quality of this years draft it would be stupidity to waste picks on top ups.

It's called trade away your future for the next 5 years so that your coach can sure up their position for the next season or two. North started it, now Collingwood and perhaps Geelong are following suit. With the quality of this years draft it would be stupidity to waste picks on top ups.
Collingwood trading two first for a 22 year old who's already a top 20 league wide mid is hardly trading away their future....

The Hawks played their cards very, very well last year. They starved North of a first round pick for spud Anderson so they could use their 2 picks and then go shopping in 2016 for the out-of-contract midfield guns. At the time, Mitchell, JOM, Prestia, B.Crouch, Neale and Gaff were all out of contract. God I admire their recruitment team
It helps when teams like north prepared to do that deal. A first round pick my god

Depends what clubs need. Apparently Geelongs picks 36 and 40 combined are worth more points than GC's 22, 23 and 25 individually. So maybe Geelong get an early 20s pick that way? That can then be packaged for Deledio, while the Kersten + steakknives picks would (unfortunately for us) get Tuohy done. Geelongs deals are hard to see getting done easily but they have a few guys talked about as trade bait (Kersten, Motlop, GHS, Vardy, plus the opportunity to trade into the 20s) so there's definitely options there.

GC want experienced players too, having likely picks 4, 6 and 8 they would probably make better use of a Breust type instead of pick 14. So maybe they get Sicily and Whitecross (Sicily not very experienced but he is more ready than an 18 yo, 31 goals this year)? Something like that.
This leaves pick 14 for Sydney for Mitchell.

Rockliff to the Pies seems 'off' to me. I don't think it suits any of the 3 parties involved.

It helps when teams like north prepared to do that deal. A first round pick my god

That trade was directly related and relied upon both ways with the Bastinac deal

It was overall (before academy/compo etc)
Pick 15, pick 55, 2016 third rounder (so about pick 50), Bastinac
For
Pick 17, pick 26, Anderson

Burton looks a gun for Hawks but they'd just about be the only club who could have afforded the risk in taking him with a 1st rounder. North did alright themselves with McKay and Clarke being likely types.

Ummm no. North did not start it at all. We have always had a 1st and 2nd round selection in the draft. Get your facts straight before you go sprouting off with complete lies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So maybe they get Sicily and Whitecross (Sicily not very experienced but he is more ready than an 18 yo, 31 goals this year)?
I know GC want players over picks but surely O'Meara's worth more than Sicily/Whitecross?

Wells thinks finances will be a bigger hurdle than the trades themselves in getting the deals done. "We're very tight with the salary cap"

I'm going with Wells on this one.

Its PR people should believe none of it.

- If you don't use two first rounders from 2015-2018, then in 2019 you can't trade your 2020 first rounder.

Woah is that how it works? So Geelong and Collingwood can trade their future first round pick this year and will just get locked out of trading future picks in years to come?
I thought the AFL would step in and not allow trades that put a club in a position where they couldn't comply with the rules. Your interpretation of the rules gives clubs much more scope to continue trading future firsts at the moment.
Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

Woah is that how it works? So Geelong and Collingwood can trade their future first round pick this year and will just get locked out of trading future picks in years to come?
I thought the AFL would step in and not allow trades that put a club in a position where they couldn't comply with the rules. Your interpretation of the rules gives clubs much more scope to continue trading future firsts at the moment.
Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

That's how I read it too, with a slight difference - if you haven't taken a first round pick across 2016, 2017 and 2018, then in 2019 you can't trade your current (2019) or future (2020) first rounders. They give Melbourne as an example:

Although Melbourne is one of three clubs without a first-round draft pick this season it would be able to confidently trade a future first-round pick if it wanted to secure a highly rated player from another club.

It chose Clayton Oliver and Sam Weideman in the first round last season, trading out this year's future pick in a deal with Gold Coast.

Although Melbourne would be unlikely to trade its 2017 first-round draft pick in this trade period it does not have to make two first-round draft picks until the end of 2019.

The Demons' smart strategy has seen the club secure eight first-round draft picks in the past four years as it rebuilt its list.

So they're fine through the 2015-2018 time period, but it's only when the 2016-2019 time period comes up (end of 2019) that they have to make sure they've made two first round picks by because those two 2015 first rounders are about to roll out.

They specifically address Geelong and Collingwood:

Geelong and Collingwood did not have a first-round draft pick in 2016 [should be 2015 I think] and will not have one in their hands when they enter the 2016 trade period either, having used a future first-round draft pick last year to secure Lachie Henderson from Carlton and Adam Treloar from Greater Western Sydney.

The two clubs will have to make two first-round draft picks before the end of 2018, potentially limiting their immediate options at the trade table this season unless they can trade their way back into the first round.

2018 is key because it's when the 2015-2018 four year period becomes relevant and Collingwood's two 2014 first rounders have rolled out. They can trade their 2017 first rounder, but are supposed to then figure out how to get two first rounders in 2018 otherwise they're "punished" which, as far as I can tell, is what Suma Magic says - you can't trade your first rounder until you're back to that two first round pick threshold.

FWIW technically Port (currently only one pick in the 2013-2016 time period, counting this year) or the Dogs (two, counting this year) can't trade out of the first round this year. The fact that a big deal hasn't been made of that makes me think that they've grandfathered in these rules, and they'll only really take effect in 2018 - the first four year period after their introduction.

That's how I read it too, with a slight difference - if you haven't taken a first round pick across 2016, 2017 and 2018, then in 2019 you can't trade your current (2019) or future (2020) first rounders. They give Melbourne as an example:

So they're fine through the 2015-2018 time period, but it's only when the 2016-2019 time period comes up (end of 2019) that they have to make sure they've made two first round picks by because those two 2015 first rounders are about to roll out.

They specifically address Geelong and Collingwood:

2018 is key because it's when the 2015-2018 four year period becomes relevant and Collingwood's two 2014 first rounders have rolled out. They can trade their 2017 first rounder, but are supposed to then figure out how to get two first rounders in 2018 otherwise they're "punished" which, as far as I can tell, is what Suma Magic says - you can't trade your first rounder until you're back to that two first round pick threshold.

Yeah you're right, it does limit current and future picks from 2019. I missed that one.

Mitchell should get to the Hawks with pick 14 and either 2017 2nd round pick 2017 or what pick they get for Hill going to Freo.

JOM for a player and future first rounder?

Not sure how the Cats get there deals done given the low currency value of Motlop, Vardy and Kersten.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back