Without a woman in charge, would Richmond have embraced mindfulness and been successful ?

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m a big fan of mindfulness and have read plenty of books on the subject, but it’s nothing new in AFL circles and Richmond’s recent success wasn’t built through it’s introduction.
Nobody is saying it is, but just that it helped and that Richmond embraced it in a big way. Other clubs may well be doing the same thing I don't know. But the context it was originally stated was that Emma Stone was influential in it's delivery, and the club is better for it.

Didn't Dan Richardson bring in Emma Murray as mindfulness coach to do great work with Dusty, Grimes and a whole bunch of other players?

Now suddenly there's some sports executive who just happened to have a working relationship with Peggy who then went on to mentor Cotchin and Hardwick?

Why has the secret weapon of 2017 changed for 2019?

I think Peggy did a great job bringing a hands off intelligence to the job of President. She had a great CEO. She backed in the coach. She got a great head of footy in Balme. They sorted out the captain. They drafted, developed and tuned the rest of the playing group.

Mindfulness important, but believing in Gale, not sacking Hardwick and hiring Balme were surely the great moments of this Tigers premierships, the tools those guys used to focus the team are all important individually but I'm not convinced you'd take one over another.
And that is pretty much what the OP said.

Mate

a man hasn't introduced it in 150 years of the AFL

the first woman put in charge did.

It is a pretty good reflection of society at the moment , when paying a compliment to a feminine trait is called sexist

I think you are virtue signalling and I think it is pathetic.

The why it took so long? Perhaps some other clubs can win a flag by making a woman as president, NO, try admin stability, see clubs like Geelong, Hawks, Pies ....

Your president is good at what she does, Benny is good at what he does, so is Balmey - all AFL clubs need talent & stability off field.

We are talking about football clubs here, quite masculine places as a rule. I had a nephew drafted a few years back and the 'masculinity' pretty much forced him out. I think the OP's premise of having women in certain roles have made the Richmond football club a more rounded place.

How so?

Need to get these wanky self-congratulating Richmond threads off the main board ASAP.

FWIW Paul Roos brought mindfulness in to the Swans prior to their 2012 premiership, and probably to Melbourne too, so Richmond aren’t the first club to embrace it as a performance tool/strategy.

Justin Langer has long been an exponent of mindfulness too, to the point of getting players to walk laps barefoot before games to connect with the earth.

Mindfulness has worked for the Tigers but that doesn’t mean it will continue to work for them or for other sides. It’s just this moment in time.

In 10 years we’ll be drawing parallels between it and the Collective Mind outfit that were so successful with some clubs (Geelong?) but a dismal failure at Adelaide.

Not sure they're all that comparable. Mindfulness is a centuries old tradition originating in Buddhism which is finally being recognised by western medicine as an effective technique to combat stress and mental health issues.

It's quite different to the confrontational techniques that I understand Collective Minds to be built on. Techniques that can be effective for some but quite unsettling and intimidating for others.

Justin Langer has long been an exponent of mindfulness too, to the point of getting players to walk laps barefoot before games to connect with the earth.

Yeh it’s pretty common in professional sports these days. The Melbourne Storm were pretty into it IIRC.

Lachie Neale was a meditator from his Freo days, and has the demeanour of someone who practices pretty regularly. Always seems ultra receptive in interviews.

Never have fans suffered an era when the afl's most dominant team of the time been as insufferable as the present. I long for the days when Hawthorn were winning premiership after premiership.

Even as a Tigers fan the whole 'have Richmond not only found a better way to play football, but a betrer way to approach life??' is a bit much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure they're all that comparable. Mindfulness is a centuries old tradition originating in Buddhism which is finally being recognised by western medicine as an effective technique to combat stress and mental health issues.

It's quite different to the confrontational techniques that I understand Collective Minds to be built on. Techniques that can be effective for some but quite unsettling and intimidating for others.
I understand that. I was trying to highlight that it is something we are using effectively now, like Geelong and Collective Mind back in their era. Not sure what Hawthorn used, but there would have been a philosophy of some sort I am sure.

Also, while confrontational, Collective Mind was based around honest feedback from your peers. I think there may be a link between it and mindfulness when I keep hearing how the players at Richmond are so honest and connected to each other. Is it maybe something to do with the playing group being so involved instead of just hearing it from coaches?

Ben Gale is the executive in charge and made the decision.
Peggy's (and women's generally) role/influence/outlook are fantastic assets to the club. But the basic premise of the OP is sexist and reduces the inputs of intelligent male leaders to that of locker room jocks with no sophistication or emotional intelligence. What a very sad, limited concept of masculinity.
Spot on

The AFL world is one dominated by Alpha males.

In this world, the culture breeds a reality were you must always put on a pretense of being strong, your only goal must be to win at all costs, you must try and ignore your pain and fears, talking about your feelings is weak. By some twist of fate, and by luck mostly, a woman for the first time in history is president of an AFL club. It is not a mere coincidence, that these feminine qualities of vulnerability have become a key priority and they have been prioritized by a woman, Peggy O'neal. Is it fair to say that this would not and could not have been embraced in the historically male oriented environment?

Authenticity
Vulnerability
Connection

driven as key prioirites of the club, owned and lived by the coach and the captain by Dimma and Cotch, on the direction of Peggy, through Benny has made all the difference.

The absence of a stoic male at the helm has opened up the opportunity to use these soft skills as a competitive advantage through

a purpose mindset - their belief in something
a connection mindset - authenticity , vulnerability
a performance mindset - not to be sabotaged by their fear of failure

All driven by Ben Crowe and Emma Murray

There is no doubt this strategy has worked, the question is, would a man at the helm have had the courage to actually endorse it ?
Your post reflects the feminist narrative that describes men as emotionally unintelligent, while promoting the false idea that understanding oneself is solely a feminine quality. Balmy and Benny clearly come across as intelligent, thoughtful, considerate and wise men.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back