Without a woman in charge, would Richmond have embraced mindfulness and been successful ?

Remove this Banner Ad

most woman are better at those things than most men

This is a scientific fact . And anyone offended by it is ignorant
It is also scientific fact that women have a tendency to let the emotion control them, where as men have a better ability to identify the emotion but then tune out and use reason and logic instead of staying in the emotion. Talking less about emotions or being controlled by them is not a sign that one doesn’t understand or feel them.

It is also scientific fact that women have a tendency to let the emotion control them, where as men have a better ability to identify the emotion but then tune out and use reason and logic instead of staying in the emotion. Talking less about emotions or being controlled by them is not a sign that one doesn’t understand or feel them.

Don’t think that’s a scientific fact at all .

Thanks for that. I appreciate the fact you've link to actual research papers.

There are some methodological problems with a number of those studies (most notably a lack of control group - a criticism which has been brought up numerous times regarding mindfulness studies ).

Here are some articles that doubt the efficacy of mindfulness.

There's also a number of suggestions that it is being used as a cure all for everything, when there's no evidence to support it's efficacy,

So as far as I can tell, it's far from scientific consensus that mindfulness works or works as some claim. By all means, meditation may be useful for people in certain situations. I have absolutely no issue with that claim. Nor that it reduces stress for some people. But it's a big leap in logic to suggest, that it is THE cause for Richmond's success or that Richmond would not have succeeded without embracing it.

The AFL world is one dominated by Alpha males.

In this world, the culture breeds a reality were you must always put on a pretense of being strong, your only goal must be to win at all costs, you must try and ignore your pain and fears, talking about your feelings is weak. By some twist of fate, and by luck mostly, a woman for the first time in history is president of an AFL club. It is not a mere coincidence, that these feminine qualities of vulnerability have become a key priority and they have been prioritized by a woman, Peggy O'neal. Is it fair to say that this would not and could not have been embraced in the historically male oriented environment?

Authenticity
Vulnerability
Connection

driven as key prioirites of the club, owned and lived by the coach and the captain by Dimma and Cotch, on the direction of Peggy, through Benny has made all the difference.

The absence of a stoic male at the helm has opened up the opportunity to use these soft skills as a competitive advantage through

a purpose mindset - their belief in something
a connection mindset - authenticity , vulnerability
a performance mindset - not to be sabotaged by their fear of failure

All driven by Ben Crowe and Emma Murray

There is no doubt this strategy has worked, the question is, would a man at the helm have had the courage to actually endorse it ?
The fact that female(s) have been involved during a period of success I would argue is a correlation, but not causative.

Regardless of gender Richmond have an abundance of fantastic people working for and leading the club. We also happen to have some of the clubs all time great players since the 70s/80s coincidentally playing together that helps. Guys like Martin, Rance, Riewoldt probably make our team of the century.

I think masculinity is changing over time, but I think it's a fairly loose statement to imply our success could not be achieved without female influence. I think Peggy is amazing, and I love the values of our club around connection, love and vulnerability, but I think they are driven by a lot more than female presence.

In fact I would argue that regardless of gender, Neil Balme is probably the individual along with Gale, Dimma and Peggy that took us from a middling club to one that has achieved ultimate success. It is interesting that of those 4 individuals, you highlight the 1 female. I rate them all.

Mindfulness is great, but has been a buzz in the psychology world for close to a decade now, becoming much more prominent and practiced recently though. It's about presence predominantly, noticing and acceptance. While it has great benefits for many, I think it's only one of many factors contributing to our success. Even though we have a female practitioner that leads it at our club, again I think it's fairly loose to tie the success to some sort of feminine based philosophy.

I love that we have a female president, because she is capable. But I think she is capable and is also a female, rather than capable because she is a female. I probably tie our success more to other factors and its a stretch to me to tie it to gender.

Last edited:
Its great to see Neil having evolved from a talented raw intelligent footballer with moments of "epiphany", many not caught on film, to a mature thoughtful embracing and clear thinking leader. He has the Midas touch, and while JR jokes he does fa around the club, he does a bit of everything.

It is worth reminding people who dont know, he was a very underrated footballer. There was a brief time when he, Ricky McLean and Mal Brown were together at the tiges, if that doesnt scare you, you're dead.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can understand as a non Richmond supporter this thread is a jerk off, but success is success and open to analysis. Perhaps it should be on our board, but it is good to hear outside perspective.

Why was Richmond the club to take a chance on Stack and Pickett. Confidence in it's off field system would be a big part. This openness matra that Richmond have embraced has been a massive win, and has it's roots in the people at the top, from coaches to players to staff and management. Are other clubs doing it, you'd hope and think so, but it shows how footy is evolving. Having a women's team also must make the atmosphere at the club more enjoyable, if you can remember back to being a young bloke......

Thanks for that. I appreciate the fact you've link to actual research papers.

There are some methodological problems with a number of those studies (most notably a lack of control group - a criticism which has been brought up numerous times regarding mindfulness studies ).

Here are some articles that doubt the efficacy of mindfulness.

There's also a number of suggestions that it is being used as a cure all for everything, when there's no evidence to support it's efficacy,

So as far as I can tell, it's far from scientific consensus that mindfulness works or works as some claim. By all means, meditation may be useful for people in certain situations. I have absolutely no issue with that claim. Nor that it reduces stress for some people. But it's a big leap in logic to suggest, that it is THE cause for Richmond's success or that Richmond would not have succeeded without embracing it.
I share the scepticism re mindfulness, but suspect it could also work as a sort of psychological equivalent of a placebo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is mindfulness not just a form of meditation, the benefits of which have been well established for '000 of years.
Pretty much yes. But there are sort of different ways to practice it e.g. doing things mindfully vs mindfulness meditation.

Mindfulness is focussing on the present moment and observing/noticing and accepting what is happening. In theory and practice you can do anything mindfully, like you could go and take a dump mindfully, the key is in the conscious effort to focus on the present.

Mindfulness meditation which can lead to state of calm and less reactivity to emotional stressful situations is a little bit more focussed on the breath for example while noticing thoughts and emotions and just being with them until they change or pass. But again there are many ways to practice this.

For athletes, it can lead to a greater focus on the present while not getting lost in our internal noise or distractions, negative thoughts, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back