Without a woman in charge, would Richmond have embraced mindfulness and been successful ?

Remove this Banner Ad

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
The AFL world is one dominated by Alpha males.

In this world, the culture breeds a reality were you must always put on a pretense of being strong, your only goal must be to win at all costs, you must try and ignore your pain and fears, talking about your feelings is weak. By some twist of fate, and by luck mostly, a woman for the first time in history is president of an AFL club. It is not a mere coincidence, that these feminine qualities of vulnerability have become a key priority and they have been prioritized by a woman, Peggy O'neal. Is it fair to say that this would not and could not have been embraced in the historically male oriented environment?

Authenticity
Vulnerability
Connection

driven as key prioirites of the club, owned and lived by the coach and the captain by Dimma and Cotch, on the direction of Peggy, through Benny has made all the difference.

The absence of a stoic male at the helm has opened up the opportunity to use these soft skills as a competitive advantage through

a purpose mindset - their belief in something
a connection mindset - authenticity , vulnerability
a performance mindset - not to be sabotaged by their fear of failure

All driven by Ben Crowe and Emma Murray

There is no doubt this strategy has worked, the question is, would a man at the helm have had the courage to actually endorse it ?

Last edited:
Interesting reflection on your footy club, that gender might play such a role in turning the club around.
Given that women play a massive part of all male lives, from mothers to partners and beyond, it is only natural that if you have women in roles of influence in a club it is going to be more nurturing, if that is not a mamby pamby thing so say. Not only for the players but their partners, children and extended.

Ben Gale is the executive in charge and made the decision.
Peggy's (and women's generally) role/influence/outlook are fantastic assets to the club. But the basic premise of the OP is sexist and reduces the inputs of intelligent male leaders to that of locker room jocks with no sophistication or emotional intelligence. What a very sad, limited concept of masculinity.

Given that women play a massive part of all male lives, from mothers to partners and beyond, it is only natural that if you have women in roles of influence in a club it is going to be more nurturing, if that is not a mamby pamby thing so say. Not only for the players but their partners, children and extended.

I was reflecting on where the club has come from, not knocking women, maybe read what I posted, not what you want it to be.

Peggy's (and women's generally) role/influence/outlook are fantastic assets to the club. But the basic premise of the OP is sexist and reduces the inputs of intelligent male leaders to that of locker room jocks with no sophistication or emotional intelligence. What a very sad, limited concept of masculinity.
Bit of a stretch. Many football clubs do suffer from an overly masculine atmosphere, although not like the good ol' 70's and 80's. Thought the OP was pretty reasonable.

I'd go as far as to say that if Richmond replaced all their players with women then they'd win the Grand Final every year by 100 points, such is the power of femininity.

Didn't one of your players
I'd go as far as to say that if Richmond replaced all their players with women then they'd win the Grand Final every year by 100 points, such is the power of femininity.
but they are currently already the greatest team of all time

Bit of a stretch. Many football clubs do suffer from an overly masculine atmosphere, although not like the good ol' 70's and 80's. Thought the OP was pretty reasonable.
how can it be a 'stretch' when a) it wasnt a woman who introduced it and b) the op's core premise is that a man wouldnt have/couldnt have!
The stretch is using gender (and Male Gender in particular) as the defining element of a bad culture - ie the culture was bad because it was 'too male'.
This belies the fact that bad organisational cultures emerge for a wide range of reasons and gender is probably right at the low end of the scale of causes.
I think it is very important, in this day and age, to push back against this lazy gender-focussed diagnosis that is prevelent and insidious, and harmful to society - but allowed to flourish because too few people are willing to speak up and allow this kind of quiet bigotry dressed up in 'reasonable' statements to go unchallenged. /end.

how predictable

how can it be a 'stretch' when a) it wasnt a woman who introduced it and b) the op's core premise is that a man wouldnt have/couldnt have!
The stretch is using gender (and Male Gender in particular) as the defining element of a bad culture - ie the culture was bad because it was 'too male'.
This belies the fact that bad organisational cultures emerge for a wide range of reasons and gender is probably right at the low end of the scale of causes.
I think it is very important, in this day and age, to push back against this lazy gender-focussed diagnosis that is prevelent and insidious, and harmful to society - but allowed to flourish because too few people are willing to speak up and allow this kind of quiet bigotry dressed up in 'reasonable' statements to go unchallenged. /end.

Mate

a man hasn't introduced it in 150 years of the AFL

the first woman put in charge did.

It is a pretty good reflection of society at the moment , when paying a compliment to a feminine trait is called sexist

I think you are virtue signalling and I think it is pathetic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are talking about football clubs here, quite masculine places as a rule. I had a nephew drafted a few years back and the 'masculinity' pretty much forced him out. I think the OP's premise of having women in certain roles have made the Richmond football club a more rounded place.

A man with the ability of Peggy would have done the same. To think that her strengths are do to with her being a woman are as sexist towards her as thinking that her weaknesses are to do with being a woman. You're still putting what she does down to her gender rather than her brain.

The issue with women's involvement in high level positions isn't that we are missing out on some magic Juju that only women can do. It's that they are as equally talented but we are excluding them, and therefore logically half the talent of the country. Similarly the only reason we have quotas is not because women need help as a result of some sort of talent shortfall, but that the old guys in charge won't hire women without being forced to.

Mate

a man hasn't introduced it in 150 years of the AFL

the first woman put in charge did.

This article from The Age actually suggests that it was Dylan Grimes who suggested it to the their GM of football (Dan Richardson), and Richardson brought the mindfullness coach into the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back