Review Wizard Ansett Fosters NAB Cup Series 2: Essendon v Gold Coast, Harrup Park, 4.40PM AEST - 26/2/17

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't see the game, but i don't like the fact that Walla touched the ball 4 times. I'm gathering that there was some goal assists in there so maybe its all okay, but this is a guy i want with the ball in hand. I'm just missing him off half back already :(

We have depth with small forwards now so Walla should be running and creating out of the back half.
We have Fanta and Green to play as the small forwards.

That's expected. Up forward, you get less of the ball, but his defensive pressure was good. Defenders get nervous around him and I like that perceived pressure.

His pace and tackling means that he is very damaging up forward when he turns it up.

A low disposal high impact type of player like Cyril is.

Cyril gets it 10-15 times a game and has more impact with those possessions than anyone in the game.
I can't see Walla getting the ball that much playing forward. He has more impact playing in defence.

I want to see how Stewart goes as a second ruck next game honestly.

Also Unsure why you criticized Leuey so much blitzer. He was excellent; dominated the opposition rucks like we want him to.

I guess I was pretty critical on him but there was definitely some issues with his game which we also saw last year. I agree he did well against his direct opponents in the ruck and around the ground - no issues there. He had 29 hitouts and 8 possessions. Pretty good numbers for a ruck on face value especially when his main opponent Currie only had 19 hitouts, 9 possessions and a goal.

Despite the raw numbers though - Leuey had 35 supercoach points. Dan Currie had 95. For Leuey to get so few points basically meant that very few of his hitouts ever went to our advantage and very few of his possessions were effective (further evidenced by the walloping we got in the middle but obviously not all his fault). Normally playing ruck for about 80% of the game even a mediocre ruck would score about 60-70, the top ones might be more like 110-120 average.

These are just numbers that support what I already believed - Leuey does not use the ball well and the hitouts he wins don't tend to create advantageous situations out of the stoppages. That said he does reduce the influence of his opponents by winning hitouts they would otherwise win (no issues there). He's actually pretty good at moving around the ground and getting into good positions for the team to use him too. Unfortunately he just doesn't have good disposal skills.

He's the best ruck we have - and he'd be in my round 1 team but he's a long way off the quality rucks of the competition.

I guess I was pretty critical on him but there was definitely some issues with his game which we also saw last year. I agree he did well against his direct opponents in the ruck and around the ground - no issues there. He had 29 hitouts and 8 possessions. Pretty good numbers for a ruck on face value especially when his main opponent Currie only had 19 hitouts, 9 possessions and a goal.

Despite the raw numbers though - Leuey had 35 supercoach points. Dan Currie had 95. For Leuey to get so few points basically meant that very few of his hitouts ever went to our advantage and very few of his possessions were effective (further evidenced by the walloping we got in the middle but obviously not all his fault). Normally playing ruck for about 80% of the game even a mediocre ruck would score about 60-70, the top ones might be more like 110-120 average.

These are just numbers that support what I already believed - Leuey does not use the ball well and the hitouts he wins don't tend to create advantageous situations out of the stoppages. That said he does reduce the influence of his opponents by winning hitouts they would otherwise win (no issues there). He's actually pretty good at moving around the ground and getting into good positions for the team to use him too. Unfortunately he just doesn't have good disposal skills.

He's the best ruck we have - and he'd be in my round 1 team but he's a long way off the quality rucks of the competition.
Can't say I agree. He's learning with a completely new midfield from last year and even that was a new midfield for him and as such they're ironing out everything right now. It's not easy to build a great chemistry that quickly; give them time. He's firmly in the top echelon of rucks for me.

Good hit out by the boys.
My two cents worth.
The Rookies
Begley was terrific. Beautiful kick and footy smart. Kicks goals.
Ridley showed a bit of class. Physically behind most but you like the footy in his hands. Grown in height significantly in the last two years and has a heap more development in him.
Clarke is a strong hombre who physically competes. His turnover on the wing by foot shows the flaw in his game that needs to improve.
McGrath has to play round one. Composed, quick and smart.
Redman. Didn't get much of a run but I like his athleticism. Needs to take responsibility to kick the goal when inside 50.
Stewart. Freaky goal and more active than last week but a ways to go.
Long got a bit of it but lacked composure with the footy. Not there yet.
Walla is not in our round 1 side for mine if he is being judged as a forward. Green, fantasia and Laverde all ahead of him. I prefer him back.
Hartley. Has made it. Allows hooker to play forward with confidence our back 6 remains steady.

The good
Goddard was very good. Worked hard and looked like he was moving well.
Stanton. Just keeps winning the footy. Ball use iffy on occasion.
Parish. Doesn't play like a rookie- solid in heavy traffic
Laverde- a physical specimen who looks dangerous every time he gets it
Brown. Very good today. I think I prefer him to McKernan and Stewart. Could he pinch hit in the ruck? Could ambrose?

The questions
Luey- just don't think he impacts the game. I thought currie was much more significant today.
McKernan. A non factor today. Conditions didn't suit talls and he was good last week but went missing.
Howlett. Honest and runs in straight lines but won't see much footy this year unless injuries occur.
Daniher. Fist game back.
Gleeson. This guy is my whipping boy and I probably judge him too harshly but his opponent kicked the first two goals and he makes too many errors for a defender for mine.

My two cents worth.
The Rookies
Ridley showed a bit of class. Physically behind most but you like the footy in his hands. Grown in height significantly in the last two years and has a heap more development in him.
Clarke is a strong hombre who physically competes. His turnover on the wing by foot shows the flaw in his game that needs to improve.
Redman. Didn't get much of a run but I like his athleticism. Needs to take responsibility to kick the goal when inside 50.
Walla is not in our round 1 side for mine if he is being judged as a forward. Green, fantasia and Laverde all ahead of him. I prefer him back.
Hartley. Has made it. Allows hooker to play forward with confidence our back 6 remains steady.

The good
Brown. Very good today. I think I prefer him to McKernan and Stewart. Could he pinch hit in the ruck? Could ambrose?

The questions
Luey- just don't think he impacts the game. I thought currie was much more significant today.
McKernan. A non factor today. Conditions didn't suit talls and he was good last week but went missing.
Howlett. Honest and runs in straight lines but won't see much footy this year unless injuries occur.
Daniher. Fist game back.
Gleeson. This guy is my whipping boy and I probably judge him too harshly but his opponent kicked the first two goals and he makes too many errors for a defender for mine.
I think you have judged Marty too harshly. Admittedly I only saw highlights of the first half but in the second half he was excellent.

Gleeson played well yesterday I thought. Sure he makes a few blunders during some frantic moments deep in the backline, but as a young player he's tracking along very nicely and plays his role effectively within the team.

Not flashy but does his job.

My two cents worth.
The Rookies

The good

The questions
Daniher. Fist game back.
Too harsh in Gleeson. He was good.

Don't agree with Green over Walla. His decision making was not great.

Walla's game as a forward isn't only about kicking goals. He provides goal scoring opportunities through his pressure. He has defenders second guessing themselves as soon as he is near them.

Other than those two points, I agree with the rest

Too harsh in Gleeson. He was good.

Don't agree with Green over Walla. His decision making was not great.

Walla's game as a forward isn't only about kicking goals. He provides goal scoring opportunities through his pressure. He has defenders second guessing themselves as soon as he is near them.

Other than those two points, I agree with the rest
I like Green & Fantasia as small forwards.
I really wish Tippa was on the ball more. Either in defence off HBF or rotating through the middle. Perhaps rotating McGrath, Tippa and Gleeson through HBF, midfield and bench.

Next game, very keen to see us roll out a close to full strength squad

Bags Hartley Brown
Stanton Hurley Gleeson
Parish Watson Tippa
Langford Daniher Colyer
Fantasia Hooker* Green
Berger Heppell Goddard
McGrath Zaka Begley Laverde

*If Hooker isn't fit, then Stewart.

My thoughts.

- best 22 is not at all clear. Will be very interesting to see which way they go particularly in defense.

- Ridley looks very good and ready to play senior footy if needed. Composed, reads game well, excellent kicking technique and quick.

- begley can't ask for anything more than what he did yesterday. Rockets into contention for round 1.

- walla. Prefer him up the ground. Isn't a natural forward imo. Hopefully doesn't get lost down there.

- McGrath. Definitely looks more of a mid than half back to me. Will be very very good. Has a lot of parish in him with his quick clean hands.

- Hartley. Guy is a gun.

- Buddha and Howlett not in my best 25

- McKenna is an accident waiting to happen. A long way off league standard.

- parish star

- Laverde and Langford both on the slow build and looking good. Just hope we persist with them over some older players. 20 games into both this year will have us looking cherry ripe next year.

Yep. Same.
Writing the preview now; went for basically out best side and it's tough to leave blokes out. Went with the 4 key defenders and Brown will probably rotate into the forward second half to cover for Hooker probably only playing a half.

Just quietly, did the same with Geelong and they have some serious talent there.

My thoughts.

- best 22 is not at all clear. Will be very interesting to see which way they go particularly in defense.

- Ridley looks very good and ready to play senior footy if needed. Composed, reads game well, excellent kicking technique and quick.

- begley can't ask for anything more than what he did yesterday. Rockets into contention for round 1.

- walla. Prefer him up the ground. Isn't a natural forward imo. Hopefully doesn't get lost down there.

- McGrath. Definitely looks more of a mid than half back to me. Will be very very good. Has a lot of parish in him with his quick clean hands.

- Hartley. Guy is a gun.

- Buddha and Howlett not in my best 25

- McKenna is an accident waiting to happen. A long way off league standard.

- parish star

- Laverde and Langford both on the slow build and looking good. Just hope we persist with them over some older players. 20 games into both this year will have us looking cherry ripe next year.
i agree with all of this.
I am happy to wait on Ridley, but when he makes it, he looks like he will make it good. We got lucky with him slipping.
But for now, we have some depth in the backline to not rush him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My two cents worth.
The Rookies

The good

The questions
Daniher. Fist game back.

With Gleeson, he's got the tools, but he makes some terrible errors sometimes.

If he's kicking the ball over 25 meters, it's nearly always a turnover.

My main concern with him is that turnovers coming out of the back line are obviously more costly than anywhere else on the ground, as they typically result in opponent scores/goals.

With Gleeson, he's got the tools, but he makes some terrible errors sometimes.

If he's kicking the ball over 25 meters, it's nearly always a turnover.

My main concern with him is that turnovers coming out of the back line are obviously more costly than anywhere else on the ground, as they typically result in opponent scores/goals.

Bit harsh, he made a few mistakes but he is easily best 22 and won some big 1 on 1s yesterday and generally showed composure.
His biggest knock is occasionally not killing the contest when coming in as a 3rd man.. He has fumbled a few marks in both JLT games which have lead to opposition goals - Would love to see him just spoil it to the boundary instead..
Good signs..

I like Green & Fantasia as small forwards.
I really wish Tippa was on the ball more. Either in defence off HBF or rotating through the middle. Perhaps rotating McGrath, Tippa and Gleeson through HBF, midfield and bench.

Next game, very keen to see us roll out a close to full strength squad

Bags Hartley Brown
Stanton Hurley Gleeson
Parish Watson Tippa
Langford Daniher Colyer
Fantasia Hooker* Green
Berger Heppell Goddard
McGrath Zaka Begley Laverde

*If Hooker isn't fit, then Stewart.
No 2nd ruckman/3rd tall forward?

Interesting game to watch with plenty to take out of it.

1. The obvious one is Begley, who does he replace in the R1 team if he gets the call up? Is he the replacement for Myers even though he plays a different position?

2. Brown was great though I still feel it's one of either him or Ambrose in the team - Offence or defence?

3. McGrath is a lock for the opening game for me. He was a bit more confident yesterday and looked a lot more impressive than his first hit out.

4. Mckennas hands are a real concern. Doesn't seem to be able to clunk marks and occasionally even struggles to catch a handball.. I hope he figures it out because he looks VERY good once he manages to get the ball in his hands. Great kick and is very quick.

5. Wasn't too impressed with Howlett either. That mark he dropped to avoid a contest us unforgivable at such a vital point in the game.

Other than that there definitely promising signs for Clarke & Ridley.. Parish continues to impress.

No 2nd ruckman/3rd tall forward?
missed another 4 players we can use for JLT.
so id be adding Stewart, Ridley, McKenna and Clarke to that list.
come round 1, its a good question though. If Hooker is at FF, either Stewart, Belly or McKernan may need to be best 22 to play back up ruck.
It weakens us somewhat in my eyes

Interesting game to watch with plenty to take out of it.

1. The obvious one is Begley, who does he replace in the R1 team if he gets the call up? Is he the replacement for Myers even though he plays a different position?

2. Brown was great though I still feel it's one of either him or Ambrose in the team - Offence or defence?

3. McGrath is a lock for the opening game for me. He was a bit more confident yesterday and looked a lot more impressive than his first hit out.

4. Mckennas hands are a real concern. Doesn't seem to be able to clunk marks and occasionally even struggles to catch a handball.. I hope he figures it out because he looks VERY good once he manages to get the ball in his hands. Great kick and is very quick.

5. Wasn't too impressed with Howlett either. That mark he dropped to avoid a contest us unforgivable at such a vital point in the game.

Other than that there definitely promising signs for Clarke & Ridley.. Parish continues to impress.
Don't think we'll have to worry about Howlett too much this year, personally can't see him getting a game unless we're ravaged by injuries. Not in my best 30 players on the list. He improved on his JLT 1 performance in terms of his disposal numbers but he still consistently butchered the ball when he had it (hell looking at the footage even his kick inside 50 which resulted in Begley's first goal went sailing over the head of its intended target (pretty sure he intended to kick it to Daniher).

missed another 4 players we can use for JLT.
so id be adding Stewart, Ridley, McKenna and Clarke to that list.
come round 1, its a good question though. If Hooker is at FF, either Stewart, Belly or McKernan may need to be best 22 to play back up ruck.
It weakens us somewhat in my eyes
Fair enough, I would point out though that most sides these days seem to run with the 3 tall forwards (or 2 talls and 1 backup ruckman) these days.

Perception is a funny thing.

If Nick Kommer played Long's game yesterday it would be hailed as a good honest effort, applying pressure with no mention of the turn overs/poor disposals.

Laverde charges around taking marks on the lead, providing the important outlet from and at half back, kicks 3 (2 crumbing goals and1 set shot) and is also working hard to apply pressure and posters think that Green's tongue-out, half arsed falling on players who he is close enough to fall on rates a mention.

McKenna can't spill a mark but it's cool if Tippa can't even get near the ball in the air or an opponent at half back but that's where Tippa should play because he's a bit quieter forward doing most of the defensive work for him and Green (with Begley playing in Fantasia's spot). Have a look at some of McKenna's rebound and disposal, he is five games in a row from being on par with Tippa even if it looks a bit different. Where Tippa dances and weaves McKenna bursts through and away with serious power and speed. He's not as natural a kick as Tippa but he's accurate, penetrating and can stab a pass as we'll as anyone.

Last edited:

If Nick Kommer played Long's game yesterday it would be hailed as a good honest effort, applying pressure with no mention of the turn overs/poor disposals.

Laverde charges around taking marks on the lead, providing the important outlet from and at half back, kicks 3 (2 crumbing goals and1 set shot) and is also working hard to apply pressure and posters think that Green's tongue-out, half arsed falling on players who he is close enough to fall on rates a mention.

McKenna can't spill a mark but it's cool if Tippa can't even get near the ball in the air or an opponent at half back but that's where Tippa should play because he's a bit quieter forward doing most of the defensive work for him and Green (with Begley playing in Fantasia's spot). Have a look at some of McKenna's rebound and disposal, he is five games in a row from being on par with Tippa even if it looks a bit different. Where Tippa dances and weaves McKenna bursts through and away with serious power and speed. He's not as natural a kick as Tippa but he's accurate, penetrating and can stab a pass as we'll as anyone.

Jake Long was putrid yesterday, any listed player would have been critiqued harshly given such a performance..

If Kommer had played Tippa's game, i would have been unhappy. You just have to get more of the ball than 4 touches unless they are 3 or 4 goals.

Bit harsh, he made a few mistakes but he is easily best 22 and won some big 1 on 1s yesterday and generally showed composure.
His biggest knock is occasionally not killing the contest when coming in as a 3rd man.. He has fumbled a few marks in both JLT games which have lead to opposition goals - Would love to see him just spoil it to the boundary instead..
Good signs..

Is it that harsh though? I like him and think he'll make it, but I honestly feel like when he's going for a medium-long range field kick, it's a turnover more often than not.

Going to be interesting to see who gets a game and who doesn't out of the backs. Gleeson, Kelly, McGrath, Baguley. You can probably include Dea in that bunch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back