Wizard Cup Side

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 29, 2001
Perth
Other Teams
Eagles
Just wondering how everyone thinks the Eagles should line up this week against Carlton.
It's actually quite hard to balance out the rookies with the veterans, but here's what I came up with:

FF: M.Merenda....A.McDougall.. D.Wirrpunda
HF: A.Embly....... M.Gardiner.... D.Haynes
CS: C.Fletcher... D.Kerr........... C.Judd
HB: R.Taylor...... G.Jakovich..... A.Williams
FB: M.Collica...... T.Carroll........ P.Read

RR: D.Cox...........M.Braun.........B.Cousins

IB: T.Wilson, B.Tuckey, C.Chambers
IB: A.Sampi, K.Munro, J.Wooden

Forward line:
- Fido won't play until Round.1, which is quite a concern.
- I figure McDougall should be given some time at FF.
- Gardiner should play CHF to exploit Carltons short backline, and to give Cox a full game in the ruck.
- Saves Wirra's fragile feet for Round1, and is a good replacement for Fido.

Midfield:
- Looks pretty good with Cuzz, Braun and Kerr in there.
- Rowan Jones apparently won't play.
- No use risking Roo's hamstring.
- The new rules for centre square rucking will actually help someone like Cox.

Backline:
- Would have liked Glass and Gaspar in there, but Glass is injured and Gaspar's being wrapped in cotton wool.
- Richie Taylor did well in a back pocket on Friday. See how he goes in the real thing.
- Saves Milli a trip interstate. Should be rested.

The Bench:
- It's probably stupid to have McDougall, Willow and Tuckey in the same side, but I think all deserve a go.
- Would've liked Q.Lynch to get a run, but no room.

FB: Carroll Glass Read
HB: Collica Gaspar McCarrey
C: Judd Braun Wirrpunda
HF: Williams Sierakowski Embley
FF: Merenda Wilson Sampi
R:Gardiner Cousins Kerr
Inter: Cox McDougall Haynes Hunter

I've given Milli and Roo a rest, gave Siera, Braun and Read a run to get them back into the thick of things, gave our star draftees a first up shot(Sampi & Judd), gave a spot to the players who should feature heavily in our drive for success(Cousins, Braun, Kerr, Wirra, Gardi, Gaspar, Glass, Williams, etc) and threw in some other hopefuls for the sake of experimentation (McCarrey, McDougall).

Certainly not the team that will be starting in rd1 of the H&A, but a team that, IMO, will resemble the squad of 2003+.

I can't remember the rules but I know the bench is extended by quite a few players. Woosha said he would have 32 to pick from so probably 26 will be selected. It's ayones guess who will play and where because he is trying things out. Wirra must have midfield time to see if he can cope and work things out with Cuz and Brauny. Green, Embley, Munro, Humm, Chambers, Wooden, Gaspar and Harding must be given a chance to prove themselves. I gather that Harding had an aweful pre-season ankle injury last year..I didn't know about that....if so maybe he does have something to offer.

Exactly which players are injured?

Players I know/think won't play:

Banfield (buggered knee)
Peter Matera (gotta save him a bit)
Phil Matera (buggered shoulder)
Ashley McIntosh (too risky to risk him)
Chad Morrison (unless he's on crutches)
Michael Prior (see Morro)
Mark Seaby (would be very surprised if he did)

Who else is injured so I can add to that list?

Until I know who is injured I will wait before I make a team.

- McDougall will definitely be available. He missed last Fridays practice match just to be safe, after slightly rolling his ankle at training.

- Embly is 50/50. Will probably play.

- Read is right to go.

- Gaspar isn't really injured, but apparently the club is a bit concerned about how many injuries he's had so early in his career, and he probably won't be risked.

- Fido won't play. But his big bro might.

- Glass has had a minor knee scrape, but will definitely be available for the Derby or even the last Wizard Cup match.

- Siera might be given another couple of weeks.

- Banners, Prior, Morro aren't available.

And that's all I've got. :)

FB Read Carroll Collica
HB Taylor Jakovich Williams
C Wirrpunda Braun Judd
HF Embly Gardiner Haynes
FF Sampi Wilson Merenda
R Cox Cousins Kerr

Int Tuckey Fletcher Wooden McDougall ????

Best i can do...not knowing exactly who is injured and who is ready to play....cant wait till this Saturday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back