Wk 1 Finals Fixture Predictions

Mar 5, 2005
Between the Big Sticks
AFL Club
West Coast
Gabba should be treated like the MCG for this year's finals series.

In a normal year, Stk v WB final would be at the MCG...

So this final should be at the Gabba as both sides have made SEQ home base for now.

SEQ is Victoria for VIC clubs this year.

Don't understand the logic to have this final in Adelaide.

Why force sides to be put onto a plane when they don't need to?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
3 days ago the AFL said Vic teams who earn a home final can choose where to play.

Didnt even last as long as a Rule of the week...
Where was that announcement?

This was the finals disturbing announcement. It makes it clear that, as per usual finals, the finals venue is at the discretion of the AFL Commission...not the club.

With the Covid-19 pandemic affecting the stadiums available to host matches, venues for the 2020 Finals Series Matches, including the 2020 Toyota AFL Grand Final, shall be determined by the AFL Commission in its absolute discretion.

- Richmond, Geelong Cats, St Kilda, Western Bulldogs, Collingwood finishing 5th or 6th will play Week One of the Finals at either Metricon Stadium, The Gabba or Adelaide Oval.

AFL finals release earlier in the week made it pretty clear that the Adelaide Oval is in the picture.

How many games did u play in Vic? You guys stayed there while all the non-vic teams were hubbing.... Everyone seems to forget that.
2 at the MCG (Richmond & Essendon) 1 away game at Etihad and the rest interstate including 3 at Optus (1 against Geelong) , sounds pretty fair to have to quarantine to play a fourth at Optus. Enjoy the ‘Finals’*

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Where was that announcement?

This was the finals disturbing announcement. It makes it clear that, as per usual finals, the finals venue is at the discretion of the AFL Commission...not the club.

With the Covid-19 pandemic affecting the stadiums available to host matches, venues for the 2020 Finals Series Matches, including the 2020 Toyota AFL Grand Final, shall be determined by the AFL Commission in its absolute discretion.

- Richmond, Geelong Cats, St Kilda, Western Bulldogs, Collingwood finishing 5th or 6th will play Week One of the Finals at either Metricon Stadium, The Gabba or Adelaide Oval.

AFL finals release earlier in the week made it pretty clear that the Adelaide Oval is in the picture.

Pretty sure Gil said something in one of his interviews.

But it has been talked about for weeks.

Your argument is essentially that the rules shouldn't apply.

You: Why do WC get a home final?
Me: They finished higher so earned hosting rights. Those are the rules.
You: Nah but why?

Basically, you sound like an idiot who wants an unearned advantage that isn't in the rules.
I’d say what you sound like but don’t want to get banned, enjoy the finals*

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Pretty sure Gil said something in one of his interviews.

But it has been talked about for weeks.
Gil mentioned weeks ago the AFL is exploring options.

TeamPR people have subsequently talked about preferences, ie wanting to ‘host’ the Lions at Metricon.

Media trot out articles saying all higher ranked teams ‘deserve’ the right to choose.

Finals venues aren’t at the teams choosing, even in normal season, always at discretion of AFL Commission as they are AFL events not club ‘home’ games.

People have assumed something that was never announced.

StK can tell the AFL they would prefer to play at Metricon, just like in a regular season they would prefer a final at Marvel stadium...the AFL will schedule the final at a ground in respectiveState that they think is best.

This year with no Victoria, the AFL can schedule ‘Victorian’ finals at Adelaide Oval, GABBA or Metricon as per the finals announcement

Except they don't - only the state. Victorian teams have been fixtured away from their home ground many times (just ask Cats supporters).

Sydney also had to play at ANZ, when their preference was SCG.

For the record, I agree the Saints should be able to chose where they play - as was reported a week ago.
As a St kilda supporter i know finals get moved from our home ground to the MCG

This is not a normal season however 1 game is in Perth and 1 game is in Adelaide so it was very feasible to fixture 2 finals at the gabba

Why would you prefer the gabba over AO? Conditions would be way better in Adelaide.
I think that is part of Gill's idea.

At least have 2 finals in the spring at AO and making sure that St Kilda and the Dogs can play fast footy in those conditons.

banzai

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
What's taking these muppets so long? They've had since yesterday evening to draw up two alternative sets of fixtures based tonight's result.

Fixture should have been released within minutes of the match finishing.

Yep. They actually had a whole week. Surely it wasnt that hard to go through all the combinations and have it sorted. Isnt that their job? Could only be the Saints game holding it up. Also if the pies have to quarantine in Perth surely they need as much time as possible to know the exact time of the match.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Yep. They actually had a whole week. Surely it wasnt that hard to go through all the combinations and have it sorted. Isnt that their job? Could only be the Saints game holding it up. Also if the pies have to quarantine in Perth surely they need as much time as possible to know the exact time of the match.
You’d think they would have told Collingwood when they are flying out as afl would be arranging that. I just don’t understand why they don’t give the saints the choice of Metricon or Adelaide oval? It’s not like they are going to sell out Metricon for the game.

You’d think they would have told Collingwood when they are flying out as afl would be arranging that. I just don’t understand why they don’t give the saints the choice of Metricon or Adelaide oval? It’s not like they are going to sell out Metricon for the game.
It’s called corruption.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
It’s called corruption.
I don’t think it’s corruption it’s obvious they want 2v3 and 6v7 played on Saturday and with both at the Gabba that can’t happen. They want saints v dogs Saturday afternoon as it’s the lowest rating game of the 4. Should just play it at Metricon.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
All the venue/hub/quarantine differences to usual, I think this is going to be a really unpredictable finals series with a lot of upset wins.

I was trying to do the finals predictor and came up with about 5 different scenarios, very hard to predict the series. The only one I locked in each time was Eagles winning that first one at Optus.

Back