Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
Announced previously - Season schedule:
the opening round of the 2020-21 Chemist Warehouse WNBL Season will occur 20 – 22 November 2020, with the final round to be contested 3 – 6 March 2021. Each club will play 21 regular season games – unchanged from last season – ahead of
the Semi Finals and Grand Finals Series being played across March 2021.

Announced today - Start of Free Agency:
Free Agency for the 2020-21 Chemist Warehouse WNBL Season will open at 1.00pm AEST today, Thursday 4 June, when the eight WNBL clubs will be able to begin negotiating with any Unrestricted Free Agents.
and ... no imports this season:
Although hopeful of being able to play all games in front of crowds, as part of the financial modelling for 2020-21 Chemist Warehouse WNBL season, Basketball Australia and the WNBL Commission confirm that it has planned on a scenario of some games being contested without fans in attendance due to uncertainty around exactly when COVID-19 restrictions on mass gatherings will be removed.
This financial modelling has also taken into consideration that WNBL clubs will not have Restricted Players on their roster for the 2020-21 season.

--

The new WNBL season is to be televised on the ABC, Fox Sports and Kayo which is a huge boost for Women's Basketball.

WNBL confirms ABC's return as a broadcaster for 2020 season along with Fox Sports and Kayo

As a long time member of the Capitals, I'm hoping for a three-peat this season.
Southside Flyers have joined the WNBL arms race in a big way. Going to be a big ask for the Caps to three-peat, but certainly not impossible now that we're back to a single-game playoff format.

Unfortunately the talent disparity in the league has never been greater so it's essentially a 3 horse race, with the other 5 fighting for scraps. The league really needs to put some kind of limits in place to close the gap because it's getting out of hand now.

This WNBL season has been my first experience with Kayo and geez it has been pretty ordinary for live games so far. Picture quality is terrible.

I think there is still plenty of scope for improvement with the Capitals, Tolo is playing limited minutes at the moment, Griffin played her first game tonight and is on limited minutes as well. I don't think we are as deep as the Flyers and Boomers but I don't know enough about Jade Melbourne and Hannah Kaser and a couple of our other young players to know what they capable of. The loss of our Internationals (especially Nurse who may be the best International to have played in the WNBL) will be huge, but if Rocci and Froling can take the next step I think we are in with a shot this season.

The Capitals may have found a new star, 18 year old Jade Melbourne, in only her third game top scored for the Caps with 14 on Sunday and has followed up with 20 in their rout of the previously undefeated Melbourne Boomers.

The Capitals may have found a new star, 18 year old Jade Melbourne, in only her third game top scored for the Caps with 14 on Sunday and has followed up with 20 in their rout of the previously undefeated Melbourne Boomers.
Loving her work so far

The Caps have beaten the Flyers 95-72. A brilliant team performance by the Caps with six players making it into double figures, including Tolo and Griffin who are still on limited minutes. Have now beaten both the Melbourne teams comfortably, but still a ways to go.

Marianna Tolo may not have the size of Cambage or athleticism of Magbegor but she is still a major talent and one of the smarter players on the court. She was brilliant tonight and will improve as she gets more game time.

Last edited:
I'm loving the Caps backcourt. Rocci & Cubillo have both stepped up impressively, and Melbourne has been a great addition. I thought that would be their weakness this season but they smashed the Opals Flyers backcourt last night.
Ease Tupaea & Smart back in so they're cherry ripe for the finals and there's some versatility there.
Gotta keep Griffin healthy too of course.
Tolo is all class. Have always been a fan of hers.

Kelly Wilson has just signed with the Canberra Capitals for season 2021/22. She is currently the WNBL games record holder on 395 games.

I wonder if she will get the media attention of Fletcher, Harvey or Cameron Smith when they reached 400.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back