Society/Culture Woke. Can you tell real from parody?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rolled over to Part 2:

I've mentioned this a gazillion times.

Using woke as a pejorative to describe the irrationally politically correct just discredits argument punter, even with crayon eating level responses like these.

I know evolved2 likes to perpetually explain to us that language is fluid and yeah I know the thread title indeed alludes that 'woke' is the irrationally politically correct, and therefore using 'woke' is justified.

None the less woke does not equal those of irrational progressive mind, has nothing to do with it.

If you used the correct term in your post, then it couldn't be disputed.
Are you arguing that language isn't fluid? Even gender is fluid these days, so language being fluid isn't a stretch.

Are you arguing that language isn't fluid? Even gender is fluid these days, so language being fluid isn't a stretch.

I think the point is, that the definition of the word in question has become so fluid, that it's become to mean 'whatever I don't like' - which begs the question; does that actually then mean anything?

I think the point is, that the definition of the word in question has become so fluid, that it's become to mean 'whatever I don't like' - which begs the question; does that actually then mean anything?
I agree with you. Gender is another word that's become so fluid as to be meaningless.

Of course not, pretty much everyone has accepted that gay means homosexuality, not its original definition.

The point is if you use woke to define someone or something in a pejorative sense, then the irrational or those defending the irrational will use it to discredit argument.

Ok, you might go meh, who cares they're irrational anyway (and you'd be right). Not the point, use the correct term and the crayon eaters can't dispute your argument.

'Whatever I don't like' is a very broad and simplistic answer. It's not about 'like or dislike' it's an observation of the ridiculous.

If one can't recognize the term is incorrectly used to define the irrational politically correct then one is a moron.

Of course not, pretty much everyone has accepted that gay means homosexuality, not its original definition.

The point is if you use woke to define someone or something in a pejorative sense, then the irrational or those defending the irrational will use it to discredit argument.

Ok, you might go meh, who cares they're irrational anyway (and you'd be right). Not the point, use the correct term and the crayon eaters can't dispute your argument.
Defending dictionary definitions isn't a hill I'm willing to die on. The reshaping and redefining of 'woke' is fascinating to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm loving the fine view of woke posters melting over being defined as woke by those who use a different definition of the word. It's as beautiful as walking along the beach under sunset.
Sitting back enjoying the view, are you? That's what's wrong with your WOKE generation; always enjoying the view instead of going to work! Back in my day we didn't have time to relax between working 22 hour days, walking to school for an hour, and spending another hour drinking from the hose.

Of course language is fluid.

And at this point in time woke is most commonly used with a negative connotation to ridicule and dismiss ideas, beliefs and behaviour that the user of the term doesn't like. Just as ideas get categorised into left and right, the believers of these ideas get negatively categorised into wokes or right wing nut jobs.

Sitting back enjoying the view, are you? That's what's wrong with your WOKE generation; always enjoying the view instead of going to work! Back in my day we didn't have time to relax between working 22 hour days, walking to school for an hour, and spending another hour drinking from the hose.
In my day, Essendon and our lesser cousin (NM) used to play and occasionally win finals. I love to see the dons doing our cousin over.

The wokesters are holding us back, mate.

As landlord, I found enough free time to increase the rent every second week while working 22 hours a day. The other 2 hours were spent sharing my wisdom on the SRP.

In my day, Essendon and our lesser cousin (NM) used to play and occasionally win finals. I love to see the dons doing our cousin over.

The wokesters are holding us back, mate.

Bloody wokes not letting you shoot up a bunch of untested drugs that might have been performance enhancing.Bloody nanny state.

Of course language is fluid.

And at this point in time woke is most commonly used with a negative connotation to ridicule and dismiss ideas, beliefs and behaviour that the user of the term doesn't like. Just as ideas get categorised into left and right, the believers of these ideas get negatively categorised into wokes or right wing nut jobs.
Not just,

It is also an observation of the ridiculous, if one observes some nuffy throwing a can of soup at a painting it labels it 'woke' then that is likely an observation of impractical / irrational / stupid / emotional. Expect such acts to be mentioned and labeled.

Those who use 'woke' as a pejorative because they 'dislike' are usually old man cloud yellers with right leaning views. Yet if someone uses woke as an observation they're immediately lumped as old man cloud yeller. When they're probably just Jan and Joe public making an observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back