Society/Culture Woke. Can you tell real from parody?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rolled over to Part 2:

Surely one can find the alphabetic mouthful a little ludicrous, but at the same time support awareness of, and support of, people who's gender and sexuality do not fit in with the old fashioned man, woman, hetero paradigm?
There's a difference in intent when you hear some people purposefully jumbling the letters and sfellowing.

There's a difference in intent when you hear some people purposefully jumbling the letters and sfellowing.

It might be insensitive, but deliberately stumbling over difficult and constantly changing acronyms might be just that - ridiculing the acronym, not the serious social issues behind it. I recently read a scathing critique of Peter Dutton's cancellation of IDAHOBIT day recognition/celebration that on the one hand got stuck into Dutton, but also acknowledged that IDAHOBIT was an unfortunate (I can't recall the exact word used) name.

On another level, it could be a criticism of identity politics, in which case sfellowing/ridicule is a poor substitute for proper argument.

One day they’ll add one I can identify with personally

'Pessimistic' definitely COULD be a sexual orientation. Or a gender. Or a philosophy. Or an ethos. In fact your name's so fluid you're covered in any and every which way!

Is the word 'woke' defined at any point in this thread, or is it merely bandied about in place of an actual argument?

I always took it to mean being awake to difference and diversity being included within our single world. Inferring of course that anyone who can't or won't accept societal inclusion is still asleep.

Of course I might be wrong in that.

I always took it to mean being awake to difference and diversity being included within our single world. Inferring of course that anyone who can't or won't accept societal inclusion is still asleep.

Of course I might be wrong in that.

For those who live under a rock, the term has also taken on a pejorative sense when used by some conservatives. It has a somewhat nebulous meaning in that sense, but generally used to negatively describe progressive viewpoints, particularly in the context of affirmative action / Critical Theory.

I'm pretty sure that is the context being used in this thread.

Hope that helps.

I actually agree with you that the acronym here is ******* unworkable.

I prefer NHC (not heterosexual or cisgender). It's succinct and covers pretty much everyone that LGBTIQ++++ does.
But I can see the issue people will have being that hetero/cis is the focus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fairness to Trudeau, he gave it a go at getting the acronym right. I think his cat may have walked across his keyboard though.
He needs a bid more inclusiveness training by the looks.

1634727741922.png

Is the word 'woke' defined at any point in this thread, or is it merely bandied about in place of an actual argument?
It'll go out of fashion the same way virtue signalling went in and out of vogue.

Reading too much Murdoch and right wing press leaves one with a seriously inability to stay on point for any length of time.

I actually agree with you that the acronym here is ******* unworkable.

My objection goes beyond just the unworkability of it.

Apparently 2SLGBTQQIA+ stands for Two Spirit, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, intersex and asexual. I'm not sure what the + is.

So according to this rationale we should fractionate people by sexuality but only in regards to certain elements of sexuality. Should we add the spanking community to the list? Or doggers, swingers and bondage lovers.

Gender is a different thing to biology and different to sexuality. There's a tiny minority who are intersex ie. born with sexual anatomy that doesn't fit the boxes of male or female. There are biological males who identify as females. There are biological females who identify as males. They may be attracted to males or females. They may have sexual preferences of all the range.

But then it's grouped all together as though they have some common identity. I don't think that's valid.

My objection goes beyond just the unworkability of it.

Apparently 2SLGBTQQIA+ stands for Two Spirit, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, intersex and asexual. I'm not sure what the + is.

So according to this rationale we should fractionate people by sexuality but only in regards to certain elements of sexuality. Should we add the spanking community to the list? Or doggers, swingers and bondage lovers.

Gender is a different thing to biology and different to sexuality. There's a tiny minority who are intersex ie. born with sexual anatomy that doesn't fit the boxes of male or female. There are biological males who identify as females. There are biological females who identify as males. They may be attracted to males or females. They may have sexual preferences of all the range.

But then it's grouped all together as though they have some common identity. I don't think that's valid.
Good for you. Have a nice day.

I first heard this story from the women at work, who were talking about it. They were not suprised in the least that noone tried to stop a black man committing a crime in the current climate. Can anyone imagine some white knight running in and putting him in a headlock or putting him on the ground with your knee on his back. I guess gathering phone evidence is the most they can expect now.
So they totally missed the point of why people were upset with what happened to George Floyd then?

The French have appointed a department and minister for anti-wokeness.

“Our country has become a target of the woke movement,” said Pierre Valentin, an expert at the new think tank Le Laboratoire de la République. “If there was a vaccine against the woke virus, it would be French and the leaders of the movement know that.”​
Le Laboratoire de la République is headed by French Education Minister Jean-Michel Blanquer and is tasked with combating what the minister calls U.S.-imported wokeism — woke being a term from the United States that originally meant being alert to racial prejudice and discrimination but which is now used by the right as a catch-all insult for the political left and progressive causes.​
“The [French] Republic is completely contrary to wokeism,” Blanquer said in an interview with Le Monde. “In the United States, this ideology provoked a reaction and led to the rise of Donald Trump.” He added: “France and its youth have to escape that.”​

“Our country has become a target of the woke movement,” said Pierre Valentin, an expert at the new think tank Le Laboratoire de la République. “If there was a vaccine against the woke virus, it would be French and the leaders of the movement know that.”​
Le Laboratoire de la République is headed by French Education Minister Jean-Michel Blanquer and is tasked with combating what the minister calls U.S.-imported wokeism — woke being a term from the United States that originally meant being alert to racial prejudice and discrimination but which is now used by the right as a catch-all insult for the political left and progressive causes.​
“The [French] Republic is completely contrary to wokeism,” Blanquer said in an interview with Le Monde. “In the United States, this ideology provoked a reaction and led to the rise of Donald Trump.” He added: “France and its youth have to escape that.”​

This could be WW3!

How dare someone even MENTION! anti woke!

This needs to be cancelled!

So, if we define 'woke' as "being alert to racial prejudice and discrimination" what exactly does being anti-woke entail? Does it mean a person taking that position should promote racial prejudice and practice discrimination and societal exclusion of those not their own race, religion or sexual preference at every turn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back