Society/Culture Woke. Can you tell real from parody?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rolled over to Part 2:

Here you go.
Qld police minister on quotas.
Hard to find an article that isn't paywalled.

Katrina Carrol on quotas...

Sorry this news station may offend.

On Pixel 4a (5G) using BigFooty.com mobile app

What the police person has said is really just her opinion though, it is not yet evidence that quotas led to substandard hire - though I accept that there could be operational reasons to not air those concerns in public if they did exist.

Here you go.
Qld police minister on quotas.
Hard to find an article that isn't paywalled.

Katrina Carrol on quotas...

Sorry this news station may offend.

On Pixel 4a (5G) using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why shouldn't unworthy women get the same treatment as unworthy men?

In industry in general. Prove to me that there is evidence of substandard hiring due to this process. Or shut your bleating.
You're the one making the claim - that we currently recruit attractive white people over more competent people of colour. You're the one supporting a change to the current system, hence the burden of proof is surely on you to prove that there is currently discrimination and not a meritocracy, which will be corrected by this "hire brown women" policy?

While it's Autism awareness month and I think about the issues facing autistic people (including a close relative) I will just say that quotas are not in place out of altruism.

You're the one making the claim - that we currently recruit attractive white people over more competent people of colour. You're the one supporting a change to the current system, hence the burden of proof is surely on you to prove that there is currently discrimination and not a meritocracy, which will be corrected by this "hire brown women" policy?
Nope, burden on you to prove your assertion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Call me crazy but how about we just hire the best person for the job regardless of who they are.
And if that happened now, we’d be fine.

Simple things like blind application review can help stop the practice of looking for people who fit a culture rather than add to it.

You’re still going to run up against the reality that graduates in some areas are going to be similar gender and ethnicity. But there are many benefits to extending an organisation instead of just repeating the same practices.

If course not. Does that make it ok to start deliberately making poor hiring decisions because a quota needs to be met?
You’re begging the question here. How do you know they are poor decisions?

And if that happened now, we’d be fine.

Simple things like blind application review can help stop the practice of looking for people who fit a culture rather than add to it.

You’re still going to run up against the reality that graduates in some areas are going to be similar gender and ethnicity. But there are many benefits to extending an organisation instead of just repeating the same practices.

I'm sure we already have excellent pilots out there that represent all types of minority groups. Why do we need a quota exactly? And why does it have to be "50%"? Why not 34% or any other number?

I'm sure we already have excellent pilots out there that represent all types of minority groups. Why do we need a quota exactly? And why does it have to be "50%"? Why not 34% or any other number?
Ask the airline? I am sure they have more qualified people than me on their payroll.

You’re begging the question here. How do you know they are poor decisions?

So here's a scenario... United knows the next person they hire must represent a minority group in order to maintain their quota. They have 3 applicants. The clear best applicant happens to be a white male from a privilaged private school education, dare i say it whilst the other two are deemed unfit for the position for various reasons. Does that mean United has to reject all three applicants and go under staffed until which time a candidate who represents a minority group magically presents themselves. What if this straight, white male applicant has a homosexual brother and is a strong advocate for the plight of his brother's minority group whilst not directly being a part of it himself?

So here's a scenario... United knows the next person they hire must represent a minority group in order to maintain their quota. They have 3 applicants. The clear best applicant happens to be a white male from a privilaged private school education, dare i say it whilst the other two are deemed unfit for the position for various reasons. Does that mean United has to reject all three applicants and go under staffed until which time a candidate who represents a minority group magically presents themselves. What if this straight, white male applicant has a homosexual brother and is a strong advocate for the plight of his brother's minority group whilst not directly being a part of it himself?

So you are ok if the exact opposite happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back