Society/Culture Woke. Can you tell real from parody?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rolled over to Part 2:

United knows the next person they hire must represent a minority group in order to maintain their quota.
I’ll stop you there.

Who said this will happen? They have industry standards and laws to abide by.

Do you think they are more likely to adopt better hiring practices? Cast about for more female trainees? Change non-critical work practices to accommodate non-males?

I just subjected myself to an hour of Coming 2 America on Amazon.. i wasn't expecting much but geez..

Endless anti-sexist moralising barely disguised with a plot. If that is what wokeness does to comedy..even Eddie Murphy.. kill me now...

Boring, predictable, unfunny.. I stopped watching to check out the brutality of the reviews and they read like the Pies' forum last night. Completely smashed aside from some brave Guardian writer who praised Eddie Murphy for becoming sensitive to modern times.. which was odd given he was also still mocking small African nations which should be a woke no no as well..

Thank goodness I could just off the TV and wasnt in a cinema.

Last edited:
If the bar didn't need to be lowered, we would already have adequate representation from a diverse range of backgrounds would we not?
No. This is why we have issues like glass ceiling and underpayment of women for identical work.

I wish to maintain the current hiring system, you wish to change it for (allegedly) the better. Burden's on you man.
No. Sorted was the one to introduce “suppose” so was putting in the first hypothetical which I am just asking him (or you) to demonstrate that it is an issue. Royal flush did provide something useful which I acknowledged.

I just subjected myself to an hour of Coming 2 America on Amazon.. i wasn't expecting much but geez..

Endless anti-sexist moralising barely disguised with a plot. If that is what wokeness does to comedy..even Eddie Murphy.. kill me now...

Boring, predictable, unfunny.. I stopped watching to check out the brutality of the reviews and they read like the Pies' forum last night. Completely smashed aside from some brave Guardian writer who praised Eddie Murphy for becoming sensitive to modern times.. which was odd given he was also still mocking small African nations which should be a woke no no as well..

Thank goodness I could just off the TV and wasnt in a cinema.
Yeah it is not a good movie and not a patch on the original

No. Sorted was the one to introduce “suppose” so was putting in the first hypothetical which I am just asking him (or you) to demonstrate that it is an issue. Royal flush did provide something useful which I acknowledged.
So RF has proven your absurd argument to be wrong already? Great - I see we're done here!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I posted this and your reply was "I don't know". I would still like an answer to these points.

You still haven't answered why flight deck personnel should reflect the make up of their passengers. Should they be taking on more over 55s? Or more Asian Americans? If cabin crews were more representative of the passengers it would be discriminatory against gay men.​
How do you qualify as a person of color? Do you tick a box and they take your word for it? Do you undergo a swarthiness test?​
But as usual with corporate wokeness it's more about virtue signalling than genuine helping the disadvantaged. It costs an applicant $71,250 to train through the United Aviate Academy, plus 10 months accomodation costs in Phoenix. Under their diversity initiative United is providing $1.2 million in sponsorship. That's enough for only 16 people out of the 5000 pilots they intend to train by 2030. Less than 2 people per year. To put that into perspective the CEO who has pushed this plan pays himself $16.7 million per annum.​

When did it become the passengers? Isn't it society more broadly?

United's tweet said 'Our flight deck should reflect the diverse group of people on board our planes every day'. So it's pretty much the same thing. If their flight deck reflected society it would have a diversity of age groups, ethnicities, income, height, sexuality, intelligence, criminality, political preference etc. But they are not proposing that.

Apart from the two people per year that United will sponsor the common factor of their recruits is being able to afford the $71,250 plus accomodation costs to train through their academy. Their policy will preference wealthy women and wealthy 'people of color' over anyone who doesn't have that kind or money, and over men, and over anyone who isn't a person of color.

for all the relevant cases..what does the word 'woke'... mean...

I am aware and I am cognoscenti of the ways of the world but get this... woke means I have my eyes open...

stupid is as stupid does and I am not in that theory..

some dumb internet idea which I am struggling to understand..

United's tweet said 'Our flight deck should reflect the diverse group of people on board our planes every day'. So it's pretty much the same thing. If their flight deck reflected society it would have a diversity of age groups, ethnicities, income, height, sexuality, intelligence, criminality, political preference etc. But they are not proposing that.

Apart from the two people per year that United will sponsor the common factor of their recruits is being able to afford the $71,250 plus accomodation costs to train through their academy. Their policy will preference wealthy women and wealthy 'people of color' over anyone who doesn't have that kind or money, and over men, and over anyone who isn't a person of color.
ah well we like to know what, who, we are..

'Our flight deck should reflect the diverse group of people on board our planes every day'
Yeah but that's just a different way of saying it. Marketing fluff. It's a bit of a straw man to say that's EXACTLY what they are after and nothing else.

They aren't hoping to get a bunch of myopic 60 year olds in the cockpit.

Lol.

If only poor Amanda didn't assume the author was white, she might have believed his research the first time and not embarassed herself.

Interesting to see the Age actually reporting this.

Would not have touched it pre-Nine.

Probably. So they run a little under quota and then it corrects as qualified candidates emerge

No, they hire one of the unsuitable people who just so happens to be from a minority. I see it on an almost weekly basis.

$170US a tonne allows you to do that.

The rest of the team still make it work because of their individual standards / professionalism.

Meanwhile the company kills their culture and morale and don't realise it.

People will almost be too scared to talk with a colleague about anything bar work in the not to distant future. It's not even the person your having the conversation with, it could be some career grub sitting somewhere within ear shot.

Lol.

If only poor Amanda didn't assume the author was white, she might have believed his research the first time and not embarassed herself.

Interesting to see the Age actually reporting this.

Would not have touched it pre-Nine.

Funny that the man's identity, rather than his work, exonerates him from being a racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back