Society/Culture Woke. Can you tell real from parody?

Michael Corleone

Senior List
Sep 30, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is what shits me about current attitudes. Once upon a time you made a film and the audience other liked it or they didn't. Jaws was critically acclaimed and commercially successful. The sequels got progressively shitter and made less money. These days the studios would just remake Jaws and cast Quint, Hooper and Brody with stunning and brave minority actors and if it bombs it's the audience's fault for being sexist and racist.
'Woke' is a belief that we have reached the end of history and nothing new can be created, everything must be evenly distributed, and old grievances must be picked at like bad scabs. It's a miserable mindset, but has allowed popular culture to be wholly monopolised by a few companies (Disney chief among them) who can churn out retreads without criticism.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
'Woke' is a belief that we have reached the end of history and nothing new can be created, everything must be evenly distributed, and old grievances must be picked at like bad scabs. It's a miserable mindset, but has allowed popular culture to be wholly monopolised by a few companies (Disney chief among them) who can churn out retreads without criticism.

Another side of that is the influence of criteria for the media awards that have had woke values installed. You can watch British TV shows and tick each box for a mentally handicapped character, lesbians, a multi-ethnic cast and strong female leads. There's plenty of ways such characters can have meaningful roles without them being artificially inserted due to external factors.

But I'm not as pessimistic as yourself. I roll my eyes then continue to watch if a show or movie has woke influence but is otherwise well written. I don't mind a rework or modernisation if it's done well. There's enough material being produced around the world that you can find original non-woke things to enjoy.

'Woke' is a belief that we have reached the end of history and nothing new can be created, everything must be evenly distributed, and old grievances must be picked at like bad scabs.
It’s a nice fantasy you have there.

Michael Corleone

Senior List
Sep 30, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
It’s a nice fantasy you have there.
As recent recipient of the MacArthur genius grant Ibram X Kendi says, the only remedy to past discrimination is present discrimination and the only remedy to present discrimination is future discrimination. As I said, it’s a miserable view of the world where nothing can get better as a collective for humanity, but must be a zero-sum game where one group wins and the other loses

Isn't Jessica Rowe pulling her podcast off the air an example of the invisible hand working? Rather than cancel culture at play you could argue it's her market telling her that they'll boycott her pod and all the associated advertising revenue that comes with those clicks if she doesn't pull the Hanson interview and she acted. Unfettered capitalism at work, Friedman would approve.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Isn't Jessica Rowe pulling her podcast off the air an example of the invisible hand working? Rather than cancel culture at play you could argue it's her market telling her that they'll boycott her pod and all the associated advertising revenue that comes with those clicks if she doesn't pull the Hanson interview and she acted. Unfettered capitalism at work, Friedman would approve.

I read this article, I figure those who wanted it deleted was either a/ because Pauline Hanson or b/ because it didn't criticize Pauline Hanson

Excerpts from it:

“This is how discrimination and hate is subtly enabled and normalised,” Tame wrote on Twitter. “Pauline doesn’t need help to be heard, but those whose oppression she’s both driven and reinforced do.”

Why not just call it out in the podcast like Grace has done here? I would've thought the whole idea of Jessica Rowe podcast interviewing Pauline Hanson would be to expose her, not be bff's.

If Jessica Rowe is her own producer of her podcast, then she's really stupid or her producer is. Seems obvious she does not have a media adviser or that person is Hanson herself.

“Pauline’s political views are the opposite of mine. I have never agreed with her on those issues. Never will. Kindness is at the heart of who I am,” Rowe wrote on Instagram.

Who *ing cares? More of a valid question, who TF would want to listen to Jessica Rowe and Hanson being all non political and chummy? I don't see the attraction there.

In a statement published on her website on Thursday, Hanson suggested she was the victim of “cancel culture” and blamed “Twitter haters” for the podcast interview’s removal.

“Cancel culture in this country is killing debate, freedom of speech, and shutting down conservative political representation,” she wrote.

Again, who *ing cares? No one gives a sh*t about (or hardly anyone) Hanson, bit difficult to claim you're losing a platform to cancel culture when you've literally got zero credit to lose in the first place. This further supported by the fact that she's put that on her website, only her followers would read it.

Is it cancel culture? Yeah I suppose it is, the 'weight of social media made me cancel it' (insert sobbing and tears) but hardly something the broader community really cares about.

If I were Hanson, I'd learn to just shut up or say something constructive, crying 'cancel culture' from her position is hardly going to win over any hearts.

She'd be better served just giving it the 'meh' treatment and claim to do her bidding in the house. But she's a dumb fcuk and keeps shooting herself in the foot with self inflicting comments, always has always will.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
But how? Was she in danger of her podcast being removed?

Read the article Chief, the episode was cancelled by Lstnr because of social media back lash.

That's what I find amusing, Jessica and this lstnr mob have s**t themselves about the noise on social media and pulled an episode that hardly anyone gives a flying about in the first place.

I also find the idea that Rowe and Hanson are role playing bff's in that episode (there's allusion that this is the case in the article) amusing, these two are the polar opposite on the political spectrum - yet the listeners are meant to buy it? rofl, then I guess Jessica Rowe fans........... good at eating crayons. Maybe there is a niche market.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Pauline Hanson is legitimate enough to be an Australian senator but it's taboo to have her on a podcast?

Seems like the standards might be out of whack there.

She's not a hardened criminal. She's a senator. It can't be taboo to interview her.

Did I see that someone complained that this "normalises" her views? Really? A podcast is the issue? I'd say her status as a senator has already done the job of "normalising" whatever she's saying this week.

That said, she's a national embarrassment and Jessica Rowe is exceptionally vapid and irritating.

Eagle Wrath

Cancelled
Zombie Lover
Oct 22, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I wonder when it will be time for tv sticoms to switch things up from the stereotypical norm. Instead of the bumbling idiot husband and the super intelligent controlling wife, swap it around. I would love to see the reactions from social media to that. We all know that wouldnt get past the pilot episode, even if it was successful in the ratings. The raving mob would shut it down.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I wonder when it will be time for tv sticoms to switch things up from the stereotypical norm. Instead of the bumbling idiot husband and the super intelligent controlling wife, swap it around. I would love to see the reactions from social media to that. We all know that wouldnt get past the pilot episode, even if it was successful in the ratings. The raving mob would shut it down.

So, Dharma and Greg?

Yep. From what I understand most movies lose money. The all-women Ghostbusters did particularly poorly, but instead of it being blamed on poor quality (or lack of imagination) producers can instead blame the audience. Hollywood has completely run out of ideas, as this short clip indicates

We live in the wake of a dying culture.

"I get that reference!": the movie

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Gay people are never predators apparently.
It’s as untenable a position as saying all gays are predators
Is this based on the allegations of Lisa De Vanna, the former Matildas player? It's an interesting topic for sure. I'm not sure anyone disputes the fact that 'minority' groups have their own problems when it comes to sexual issues, domestic violence etc... But it certainly isn't something most (including media and celebrity), are comfortable dealing with in isolation.

Some of these issues, though, are fairly specific and unique to female sport, with there being a considerably large percentage of queer players and officials. Male sport certainly hasn't had to deal with those problems, at least not on the same scale. How do you protect young, impressionable players from older team members and staff who are attracted to them? Dressing rooms and showering might be problematic? Are players able to form relationships with coaches and officials? It would be rather difficult to form hard and fast rules around any of this, but it also seems rather hypocritical not to.

Back