Society/Culture Woke. Can you tell real from parody?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rolled over to Part 2:

In what way?

Let's see how it plays out.

There will be some folks who dismiss this as "gay panic". Scaremongering against a "lesbian cabal trying to turn young girls gay". That's not a direct quote. That's my description of how they might characterise the reporting. Criticism of that story will come and it will be along those lines.

But the #metoo crowd should take it seriously, for no other reason than to demonstrate consistency.

These two sets of folks have generally found common cause but may now find themselves at odds.

Apparently several caller Garry and Tim indignant that the use of the phrase ‘turn someone gay’ like it’s an impossibility

funny but in a world where there seems to be a new form of sexuality discovered on a monthly basis, how can such a phrase be completely impossible

Apparently several caller Garry and Tim indignant that the use of the phrase ‘turn someone gay’ like it’s an impossibility

funny but in a world where there seems to be a new form of sexuality discovered on a monthly basis, how can such a phrase be completely impossible
Must admit I thought that too.
I think it goes back to when our society was much less accepting of homosexuals. 'It's a choice, it's unnatural, there's something wrong with you, stay away from the homosexuals, or they'll turn you gay.'
So I could understand a reason some people would do it.

I don't know the conversation, but It frustrates me that people would make an issue out of it, because it just distracts from the actual issue of possible abuse.
And turns it into the 'people can Identify as trees if they want!' vs "I Identify as an attack Helicopter'.

I'm happy to be corrected, but I'd guess it was just people talking about it, without realising what it can imply
Unless the conversation was obviously intending some homophobic stuff, they should avoid virtue signalling and focus on the possible victim.

I think it goes back to when our society was much less accepting of homosexuals. 'It's a choice, it's unnatural, there's something wrong with you, stay away from the homosexuals, or they'll turn you gay.'
So I could understand a reason some people would do it.

I don't know the conversation, but It frustrates me that people would make an issue out of it, because it just distracts from the actual issue of possible abuse.
And turns it into the 'people can Identify as trees if they want!' vs "I Identify as an attack Helicopter'.

I'm happy to be corrected, but I'd guess it was just people talking about it, without realising what it can imply
Unless the conversation was obviously intending some homophobic stuff, they should avoid virtue signalling and focus on the possible victim.

I listened to a fair bit of the discussion on SEN, Garry and Tim were very uneasy discussing it you could tell, white men discussing that topic are on a hiding to nothing. They read out a few abusive SMSs they got which were quite unreasonable, though to be honest Garry reads out such messages a lot, he seems fairly sensitive to a lot of criticism from the audience.

I listened to a fair bit of the discussion on SEN, Garry and Tim were very uneasy discussing it you could tell, white men discussing that topic are on a hiding to nothing. They read out a few abusive SMSs they got which were quite unreasonable, though to be honest Garry reads out such messages a lot, he seems fairly sensitive to a lot of criticism from the audience.
It is a dangerous topic. They have to raise it, and there will always be something done wrong from any angle.
I think with this kind of situation, if people are uncomfortable or don't understand it, or I don't know. I think you raise it, you state the allegations, you state any replies, you give some local information for healthcare, people to contact. Then talk about some of the games from 2001, lightening the mood with some joke about the gameplay. (women's sport so you'll catch some flack). And move on.

That no footballer has felt comfortable enough to come out tells you that the game still has issues with other sexualties. Male sport, apart from diving where I think being gay is compulsory is pretty much the last holdout when it comes to gay participation.

The notion that youth is of higher intelligence & progressiveness is one of the more interesting fallacies people encounter.

The truth is that these people are staggeringly stupid & unstable and would happily lead western civilization back in to the witch burning era.
Lol yeah the boomers have really looked after our environment and made sensible decisions.
Lucky we have this generation ,history will applaud them not.
Possibly the most short-sighted and destructive generation in history.

That no footballer has felt comfortable enough to come out tells you that the game still has issues with other sexualties. Male sport, apart from diving where I think being gay is compulsory is pretty much the last holdout when it comes to gay participation.

The bolded was the bit I was laughing at to be clear

Lol yeah the boomers have really looked after our environment and made sensible decisions.
Lucky we have this generation ,history will applaud them not.
Possibly the most short-sighted and destructive generation in history.

didnt boomers start out in ban the bomb, peace and love, free love etc etc

and whichever generation thought 2 global conflicts within 4 decades was a good idea? Appear to be overlooked. I wonder what the contribution to climate change was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

didnt boomers start out in ban the bomb, peace and love, free love etc etc

and whichever generation thought 2 global conflicts within 4 decades was a good idea? Appear to be overlooked. I wonder what the contribution to climate change was.
Yeah the problem is that the right wingers saw the free love generation and went "OK, I see, so none of rules apply any longer? Great!" and set about subjugating everything that glued our societies together to the whims of "the market" (the fact that many of them had ground-floor entry meant it was never going to be anything but rigged, but maybe that's for another thread).

Kurt Andersen's "Fantasyland" is particularly good on the surprising and dismaying ways the free love hippy era helped usher in Reaganism.

Yeah the problem is that the right wingers saw the free love generation and went "OK, I see, so none of rules apply any longer? Great!" and set about subjugating everything that glued our societies together to the whims of "the market" (the fact that many of them had ground-floor entry meant it was never going to be anything but rigged, but maybe that's for another thread).

Kurt Andersen's "Fantasyland" is particularly good on the surprising and dismaying ways the free love hippy era helped usher in Reaganism.

and Keating (and others view tbh) that the west only made hay while China spent too long looking inward, which is now. Re balancing

That no footballer has felt comfortable enough to come out tells you that the game still has issues with other sexualties.
Or maybe they don't want to be known as "the gay player", where everyone focuses unduly on their sexuality. It's no one's business anyway. If some struggler who's the 36th best player on WC's list was gay, I couldn't care less. I also think that guy has zero obligation to tell the world. Why should he? If another player likes being pegged by his missus, should he share that with everyone too? These are private matters.

I wonder when it will be time for tv sticoms to switch things up from the stereotypical norm. Instead of the bumbling idiot husband and the super intelligent controlling wife, swap it around. I would love to see the reactions from social media to that. We all know that wouldnt get past the pilot episode, even if it was successful in the ratings. The raving mob would shut it down.
They did that in the 1950s iirc

Or maybe they don't want to be known as "the gay player", where everyone focuses unduly on their sexuality. It's no one's business anyway. If some struggler who's the 36th best player on WC's list was gay, I couldn't care less. I also think that guy has zero obligation to tell the world. Why should he? If another player likes being pegged by his missus, should he share that with everyone too? These are private matters.
It being 2021 and there being not one out gay AFL player, combined with what we know to be cultural issues at head office suggests there might be something more at play. I agree with a lot of what you say too and I couldn't much care less either, I've been out longer than I was ever in now but the closeted fifteen year old me would have cared a great deal. For gay kids to have someone who is out and proud that they could see playing league footy would be pretty cool.

It being 2021 and there being not one out gay AFL player, combined with what we know to be cultural issues at head office suggests there might be something more at play.
That's an assumption.

There are plenty of openly gay AFLW players. How come these "cultural issues" haven't dissuaded them?

I agree with a lot of what you say too and I couldn't much care less either, I've been out longer than I was ever in now but the closeted fifteen year old me would have cared a great deal. For gay kids to have someone who is out and proud that they could see playing league footy would be pretty cool.
Surely there are enough folks who are publicly gay or "out" that there's no individual responsibility on football players.

Honestly, what should a gay player do? Hold a press conference to tell the world about his sexual preferences?

There are plenty of openly gay AFLW players. How come these "cultural issues" haven't dissuaded them?
Muscular Christianity didn't think to embed itself in the AFLW. Too late now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back