Society/Culture Woke. Can you tell real from parody?

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
It's generally more expected of women sportspeople to be gay than men though isn't it?
Is it? I don't have any expectations either way about what athletes enjoy sexually. Why would I?

If society is as deeply homophobic as some folks are claiming, why doesn't that express itself where AFLW players are concerned?

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Is it? I don't have any expectations either way about what athletes enjoy sexually. Why would I?

If society is as deeply homophobic as some folks are claiming, why doesn't that express itself where AFLW players are concerned?

Well there have been a lot of examples of gay women athletes over the years so it's not even surprising if one comes out. There's not many gay male athletes I know of. The first public gay AFL player would cause a fair bit of attention, after that I don't think it would rate much of a mention.

Your last question I can't answer because I have no idea. But I don't think AFLW is very popular anyway, though I'd doubt people refuse to watch because there's a lot of gay players.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Well there have been a lot of examples of gay women athletes over the years so it's not even surprising if one comes out.
So does it make sense to ascribe this to deep-seated homophobia within the sport's administration?

There's not many gay male athletes I know of. The first public gay AFL player would cause a fair bit of attention, after that I don't think it would rate much of a mention.
Why would anyone want that kind of attention?

Some guy plays a team sport but should hold a press conference to tell the world he prefers men to women? Why would anyone feel compelled to do that?

What other sexual proclivities should athletes share publicly?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Apparently several caller Garry and Tim indignant that the use of the phrase ‘turn someone gay’ like it’s an impossibility

funny but in a world where there seems to be a new form of sexuality discovered on a monthly basis, how can such a phrase be completely impossible

Because sexuality is more a matter of hardwiring more than anything, at least in my experience. I doubt anyone could suddenly 'turn gay' after a fixed period of heterosexual lifetime - it would have always been within them and they were just trying to fit family expectations or what they thought were societal norms by pretending at heterosexuality. Trying to fake it till they made it.

A straight person could try 'force themselves' into a same sex encounter through sheer act of will, but I don't think they'd feel all that comfortable within themselves. Some might give in to intimidation to that same end by more unscrupulous people (predators, in my opinion) but again - the 'sudden onset of gayness' just would not be genuine. The body might do all the things that gayness imparts but inside the mind and the psyche those doors aren't going to open if the wiring is not connected.

I doubt a 100% heterosexual person could reinvent themselves as bisexual either. If it happens and a chance encounter is enjoyed it was either always there within, hardwired but unaknowledged, or it just aint gonna be happening.

This is just how I see things anyway.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
So a Gay person would be revolted by 'straight' sex, but there is little heed given by some that don't afford the converse to straight people.

Anyway its so fluid, what if a hitherto gay person discovers some bisexuality?

Anyway my comment is more about people taking and promoting extreme positions publicly, then sexuality. Let everyone be what they want to be IMO
Which incidentally is what the title is about

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Because sexuality is more a matter of hardwiring more than anything, at least in my experience. I doubt anyone could suddenly 'turn gay' after a fixed period of heterosexual lifetime - it would have always been within them and they were just trying to fit family expectations or what they thought were societal norms by pretending at heterosexuality. Trying to fake it till they made it.

A straight person could try 'force themselves' into a same sex encounter through sheer act of will, but I don't think they'd feel all that comfortable within themselves. Some might give in to intimidation to that same end by more unscrupulous people (predators, in my opinion) but again - the 'sudden onset of gayness' just would not be genuine. The body might do all the things that gayness imparts but inside the mind and the psyche those doors aren't going to open if the wiring is not connected.

I doubt a 100% heterosexual person could reinvent themselves as bisexual either. If it happens and a chance encounter is enjoyed it was either always there within, hardwired but unaknowledged, or it just aint gonna be happening.

This is just how I see things anyway.
I'm not sure about this. I don't think it's binary between straight and gay. I expect everyone is on some kind of continuum or spectrum. Even very straight guys would understand that Brad Pitt is more pleasant to look at than Danny DeVito. That doesn't mean they want to bang him but they've still got a radar for male attractiveness. And then it just depends how that manifests, shaped by both biology and environment to varying degrees.

So yes, some people are "born gay". But environment and circumstances also shape how that predisposition expresses itself.

That's my theory.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
So a Gay person would be revolted by 'straight' sex, but there is little heed given by some that don't afford the converse to straight people.
Huh?

I'm not sure about the premise or the conclusion.

Anyway its so fluid, what if a hitherto gay person discovers some bisexuality?
Yeah? What if? What would happen?

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
I've known a few guys that the difference between gay and straight is a six pack or a pill. I've always assumed they're textbook any hole is a goal bi but sobriety inhibits one side of that.
Or they're mostly straight but will swing both ways if the moment takes them.

I assume that's true of a range of sexual practices.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Malifice tell everyone how we should dismantle hierarchies and live in a collective where everyone is equal. I'm particularly interested to hear how law would be established and enforced in a society where there is no hierarchy.

Will you issue a thread ban when you lose that argument as well?

So fragile. That's what happens when you're ideologically captured.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
2SLGBTQQIA+

The ‘2s’ at the start of the acronym refers to “two spirit,” a phrase used by some Indigenous people who identify as having both a masculine and a feminine spirit. The latter portion, ‘LGBTQQIA+’ stands for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning (one's sexual or gender identity), intersex, and asexual

No issue from me if people want to use that initialism (it's not an acronym), but no one is going to remember it so it sort of defeats the purpose imo.

So you have no clue about it but you identify it and defend it as 'your community'?
For the first thirty five odd years of my life I was humble NTTAWWT, I'm confused about the acronym thing these days too but I don't seem to have the issues with it you do.

Back