Society/Culture Woke. Can you tell real from parody?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wiki states that it is considered a slur
It's not a slur here rather than an idiosyncrasy of our language, this is isn't the case elsewhere where it is definitely pejorative. I've tried to self censor these days even if the meaning is mostly innocent.

Louie the Lipinski

Senior List
Oct 12, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Context is important. Here, few would bat an eyelid for the reason you state.

But in the UK particularly, it is a slur.
Depends who you are around. If you are around people who are sensitive to things that can be perceived as being racist then I think they'd be all over you if you used the word Paki. But it does seem like the baggage associated with the word has been transplanted here as a result of its problematic history in other countries.

Apparently saying Pakis became un PC at some point. You may have noticed that none of the news outlets said we beat the "Pakis" in the T20 semi final the other day. Yet I'm pretty sure the C9 commentators used to refer to the Pakistani Cricket Team as the Pakis back in the 80s
I always used the term but when I found out it was considered a slur I stopped.

Context is important. Here, few would bat an eyelid for the reason you state.

But in the UK particularly, it is a slur.
If a term is considered a slur I don't use it.

It's not that hard to respect people.

As for the term "woke", I see heaps of people use it online and I always ask them for their definition of the term.

I never receive a response.

It seems to be one of those catch-all terms used by many to attack views they don't like without having any idea of what it actually means.

Louie the Lipinski

Senior List
Oct 12, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
As for the term "woke", I see heaps of people use it online and I always ask them for their definition of the term.

It seems to be one of those catch-all terms used by many to attack views they don't like without having any idea of what it actually means.
I consider woke to mean being against bigotry. But the anti-woke crowd seem to think it means creating allegations of bigotry out of thin air.

I wasn't aware of the history of he term.

I guess I lived in ignorance when I used it, although Australia didn't seem to be where it was used as a slur.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS

Yeah anyone who uses the term doesn’t have much of an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
It's not a slur here rather than an idiosyncrasy of our language, this is isn't the case elsewhere where it is definitely pejorative. I've tried to self censor these days even if the meaning is mostly innocent.

It was so commonplace here that the touring Pakistan teams were referred to as the Pakis in the media which they aren't now. Pakis, Kiwis, Poms, Windies etc.

Most people here unaware of the term in the UK would use it as an abbreviation and think nothing of it. I figure to the wrong audience it's like saying 'Abo'.

bfff

Club Legend
Jun 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've had hundreds of phone meetings where no one has felt the need to tell everyone on the call their height, hairstyle, ethnic background or clothing.

I might have believed this stuff had nothing to do with wokeness if the meeting didn't start with -

First we want to acknowledge that the land where the Microsoft campus is situated was traditionally occupied by the Sammamish, the Duwamish, the Snoqualmie, the Suquamish, the Muckleshoot, the Snohomish, the Tulalip - and other coast Salish people since time immemorial. A people that are still here, continuing to honour and bring to light their ancient heritage.​

It is audio description for the benefit of blind people. Is that such a big deal?

Borisdog

Club Legend
Jul 31, 2009
Townsville
AFL Club
West Coast

OOOH, OOOOH. This is parody right?

I have so much trouble with this stuff. I offend myself with how often I'm offensive without offensively meaning to be.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Apparently saying Pakis became un PC at some point. You may have noticed that none of the news outlets said we beat the "Pakis" in the T20 semi final the other day. Yet I'm pretty sure the C9 commentators used to refer to the Pakistani Cricket Team as the Pakis back in the 80s

In Britain it is considered a racist term because it was used for anyone from the Indian sub-continent. But it mostly wasn't used pejoratively. 'Paki-shop' became a common phrase to denote a local convenience shop that stayed open from 7am to 11pm. It also became common to 'go for an Indian' when most curry houses were run by Bangladeshis. Customers appreciated these outlets and the smart business owners made a good living for themselves without worrying about the inner worldview of their customers.

Australia has no such history of terminology. Pakis is simply short for Pakistanis like Aussies is short for Australians.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Why would you continue to use a word when you know it can offend?
Some people are offended by everything. Seriously, they need to harden the f up.

Doesn't matter what anyone says / does. Someone somewhere somehow will be offended by it or on someone elses behalf..

Meh, so long as ones conscience is clear if there is no intent to offend who gives a flying (apart from the minuscule few)?

Not even an issue imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back