Society/Culture Woke. Can you tell real from parody?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I'm reading more female statues (to not even be noticed by the populus) will reduce domestic violence
Surely parody? Woke movement is against statues but there should be more statues?

Im reminded of the 'statue' of a female AFL player and the furore, but that was a publicart piece designed to provoke discussion. It was temporary anyway.

suppose on the death of Elizabeth II there is a profiglation of statues - quite apart from we suspect she is not a fan of statues personally - would she be sufficiently woke enough for the woke to be happy? (now theres a concept)
1638486807053.png

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
Woke.

All the big companies are into woke these days. That in itself should be a red flag to the woke movement.

From the elites point of view, if you get the plebs arguing over which toilet to use, or critical race theory, then the said plebs aren't arguing over more important things, such as income inequality and sky high house prices.

Or they're buying your product if they think you are being woke, or otherwise making the right noises.

Marvel sold their movie Captain Marvel as being important because it was their first female led film, even though the fact that it took until their 20th entry to have a film starring a woman was entirely their decision. There was a similar grift with Black Panther.

Austoraisetheurn

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Or they're buying your product if they think you are being woke, or otherwise making the right noises.

Marvel sold their movie Captain Marvel as being important because it was their first female led film, even though the fact that it took until their 20th entry to have a film starring a woman was entirely their decision. There was a similar grift with Black Panther.

Point stands, if big corporations can convince the idiot pleb out there, that they are woke and they care about feelings over facts and other buzz speak cliches, then the said idiot plebs are distracted from issues that actually impact then, such as, expensive hosing.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
then the said idiot plebs are distracted from issues that actually impact then, such as, expensive hosing.
Brilliant typo aside, I don't know anyone under the age of 30 who isn't very aware of how insane house pricing is, regardless of their political calibration.

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can somebody please define Woke to a Gen X male ?

Edit :
This fine article explains it perfectly

Last edited:

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Brilliant typo aside, I don't know anyone under the age of 30 who isn't very aware of how insane house pricing is, regardless of their political calibration.
It's not so much the hosing, pick em up cheap at any supermarket. It's the leg shaving and moisteriser that really hammers the wallet, urr, purse.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
The only Australians who have a problem with that Norwegian ad, are the ones who don't want homosexuality to be normalised.

-“50 years of being able to love whoever we want.” Homosexuality was decriminalized in Norway in 1972.​

Being 'woke', is a good thing.

Woke
-Aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice).​
-An active awareness of systemic injustices and prejudices, especially those related to civil and human rights.​

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Santa is gay. Of course he is!

Jingle Bells hinted towards this. You must be a bit slow.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Santa being gay is much less of a stretch than middle eastern Jesus of Nazareth and his middle Eastern parents having glistening milky coloured skin we are all familiar with.

How'd that happen?

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
You’re parodying yourself but just haven’t realised it.

In Greek times it was socially acceptable for men to have sex with adolescent boys up until they were ready to get married. Then it was expected that they have sex with women. In Christian times same sex acts were regarded as sinful. But in both cases it was something you did not who you were.

Towards the end of the 19th century medical texts started to refer to 'homosexuals' ie men who have a permanent and exclusive desire for sex with other men. They were regarded as degenerates that should be punished or treated.

In the second half of the 20th century liberal thinking made homosexuality acceptable in society, and 'being gay' became a social identity - with its own subculture. This remains the dominant view in the West.

However, more recently, Queer Theory rejects stable categories of sexuality such as straight, gay and lesbian because they are social constructs - and oppressive.

Is the tax inspector in the new adaption of The Darling Buds of May being black an example of the dreaded wokeness? You could argue it's historically inaccurate, you'd be very unlikely to see too many black guys in immediate post war Kent let alone one in the civil service in that sort of position.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Cnn is pro woke. That makes them left wing on an identitarian scale.

but i agree on an economic scale they are centrist.

Not an attack, I'd just like to hear new opinions that I don't currently understand.

1. Is woke a bad thing?
2. What do you mean by "pro-woke"? Does it mean that 'large corps are pretending to be progressive', or is woke a new term for progressive?
3. Identitarian scale. What do you mean by this. It's not a term I'm used to, and Wiki talks about Identitarian, basically, as far right/extremist views. But I don't think that's what you mean.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
In Greek times it was socially acceptable for men to have sex with adolescent boys up until they were ready to get married. Then it was expected that they have sex with women. In Christian times same sex acts were regarded as sinful. But in both cases it was something you did not who you were.

Towards the end of the 19th century medical texts started to refer to 'homosexuals' ie men who have a permanent and exclusive desire for sex with other men. They were regarded as degenerates that should be punished or treated.

In the second half of the 20th century liberal thinking made homosexuality acceptable in society, and 'being gay' became a social identity - with its own subculture. This remains the dominant view in the West.

However, more recently, Queer Theory rejects stable categories of sexuality such as straight, gay and lesbian because they are social constructs - and oppressive.
Why is everyone agaisnt social constructs today?

also i thought gay people thought it was genes that made them gay. now they agree with the looney bible bashers and agree its all a social construct?

i clearly havent been keeping up with my woke 101.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Not an attack, I'd just like to hear new opinions that I don't currently understand.

1. Is woke a bad thing?
2. What do you mean by "pro-woke"? Does it mean that 'large corps are pretending to be progressive', or is woke a new term for progressive?
3. Identitarian scale. What do you mean by this. It's not a term I'm used to, and Wiki talks about Identitarian, basically, as far right/extremist views. But I don't think that's what you mean.
being woke means you are an identitarian. rather then accepting traditional left wing orthodoxy that race, sex, sexual preferences are not important to your identity, identitarians instead embrace the opposite idea. They believe sex, gender and race is very important to your identity. Identitarians believe only certain races should perform certain cultural rituals (they developed the concept of cultural appropriation as a bad thing). identitarians believe racism is something only white people can do. differences in preferences between sexes are all social constructs created by men rather then a function of biological differences. Without those constructs girls and boys would prefer to play with trucks and wear sparkly bling equally as much is their view. Gender is not determined by body parts but is instead determined by feelings (As to what those feelings are i dont think anyone can describe).

Last edited:
Back