Society/Culture Woke. Can you tell real from parody?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rolled over to Part 2:

Noone can tell what is real because the culture has become a parody of itself.

I went to school with someone who is becoming a bit of a social influencer (starting to get in advertising campaigns etc). Her latest post pots ScoMo, not because of policy or anything, but because, and I quote, "it will be nice not to have a white person steal my (bangladeshi) culture" - why? Because he likes cooking curry!

Seems like just a decent thing to do, and hopefully accompanied by meaningful efforts. I mean a social media post is largely ineffectual, but if people have a problem with it, the problem is with them.

I have a problem with the grandstanding aspect of it, posts like this are often just for show, no meaningful change accompanies it it's just to make them look good.

I have a problem with the grandstanding aspect of it, posts like this are often just for show, no meaningful change accompanies it it's just to make them look good.
Yes, I said it's not necessarily meaningful or effectual. I'm not familiar with what the US Marine Corps have been doing in the area, but I'd imagine most who have a crack or call it grandstanding probably don't either. There's also plenty who'll just react against anything that mentions diversity being a good thing, and use "calling out hypocrisy" as a shield to hide behind though.

See, that's interesting.

I've been involved with women's cricket for a little bit, and initially at my club and in my area (as in, the council and competitions) there was significant cynicism as to its longevity and to its viability. Some of them saw it as a cynical attempt at pandering, exactly as you look at this measure here.

But then, something funny happened. People started taking pride in it. It became something that should've happened a long time ago. My club now fields girls teams consistently, and the girls comp in the area has had consistent growth for nigh on a decade in terms of participation, funding and grants.

When we're talking about small entities, they change more quickly because there's less people and less entrenchment. Big companies and organisations take longer, and civil rights for gays only happened in the military really in the last 10 years.

People are entirely too cynical of changes that haven't been given enough time.

So at worst it has a neutral outcome? How is that a problem?

How many LGBT people have been killed by the US Marines? How many have had their lives destroyed? Ought it be celebrated because this didn’t happen because of their sexuality but rather their misfortune in living in a poorer country the US decided was in their interest to ransack?

“Rainbow bullets” still kill people. The weird appropriation of the poster of Full Metal Jacket, a film that decidedly does not celebrate the American war machine, is pretty weird. So yes, totally empty and cynical posturing.

How many LGBT people have been killed by the US Marines? How many have had their lives destroyed? Ought it be celebrated because this didn’t happen because of their sexuality but rather their misfortune in living in a poorer country the US decided was in their interest to ransack?

“Rainbow bullets” still kill people. The weird appropriation of the poster of Full Metal Jacket, a film that decidedly does not celebrate the American war machine, is pretty weird. So yes, totally empty and cynical posturing.
This is an argument against war, couched in the language of representation.

Maybe it is intended more as a message to the serving members. Ya think?
The US military is massive on "messages" for the troops.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See, that's interesting.

I've been involved with women's cricket for a little bit, and initially at my club and in my area (as in, the council and competitions) there was significant cynicism as to its longevity and to its viability. Some of them saw it as a cynical attempt at pandering, exactly as you look at this measure here.

But then, something funny happened. People started taking pride in it. It became something that should've happened a long time ago. My club now fields girls teams consistently, and the girls comp in the area has had consistent growth for nigh on a decade in terms of participation, funding and grants.

When we're talking about small entities, they change more quickly because there's less people and less entrenchment. Big companies and organisations take longer, and civil rights for gays only happened in the military really in the last 10 years.

People are entirely too cynical of changes that haven't been given enough time.

Well I think a lot of councils look favourably on footy and cricket clubs who have women's teams, for things like funding clubroom extensions etc, so this is the smart thing to do. I'm not exactly sure if it's a good idea but the president should probably make this point to naysayers. My local cricket club runs on a shoestring so stuff like this can be the lifeblood.

But that's doing way more for women in general (and takes a lot more work) I'd say than some lazy social media post. Maybe these posts do good, I dunno, I just reckon if it's not accompanied by any real action it's pointless.

So at worst it has a neutral outcome? How is that a problem?

I'm a cynical bastard and take a dim view of social media activism, that's how I best explain it haha

Frustratingly, for me... I think it's the message, not the vehicle that you take issue with.

I'm worried that in a years time, you're going to be Sorted 6.9

Well that's your impression I guess

Maybe it is intended more as a message to the serving members. Ya think?
The US military is massive on "messages" for the troops.

I have no idea of their intentions, well other than trying to "look good"

Well I think a lot of councils look favourably on footy and cricket clubs who have women's teams, for things like funding clubroom extensions etc, so this is the smart thing to do. I'm not exactly sure if it's a good idea but the president should probably make this point to naysayers. My local cricket club runs on a shoestring so stuff like this can be the lifeblood.

But that's doing way more for women in general (and takes a lot more work) I'd say than some lazy social media post. Maybe these posts do good, I dunno, I just reckon if it's not accompanied by any real action it's pointless.
The first step - genuinely, the first step - was signing a declaration of intent and giving it to the competition. It really wasn't all that far from just a social media post.

This is what I mean when I say cynical. You need to give genuine recognition time. Disliking things on the basis that it seems tokenistic or just empty air doesn't really reflect the reality that you cannot change without saying so; it would truly be tokenistic if you were just going to put the vaguest gesture towards gay rights quietly and to one side.

Public releases create expectation. If they fail to accompany the post with real action, it opens them up for criticism.

See, that's interesting.

Yep, same thing with plenty of clubs in AFL Sydney.

Not being allowed in the armed forces was one of the few perks of being gay back in the day.
Homosexuality is still a get out of service card in Turkey but you have to provide documentary evidence of you 'receiving' to get it: Proving you're gay to the Turkish army

As a gay man he was also afraid of being bullied, and after little more than a week he plucked up the courage to declare his sexual orientation to his commander.
''They asked me if I had any photographs.'' Gokhan says, ''And I did.''
He had gone prepared with explicit photographs of himself having sex with another man, having heard that it would be impossible to get out of military service without them.
''The face must be visible,'' says Gokhan. ''And the photos must show you as the passive partner.''

I wonder how many straight guys do it to dodge the draft and then there's a bunch of gay guys who are very modest stuck in the military! I also wonder what these army officials are doing with this custom requested gay pr0n.

Homosexuality is still a get out of service card in Turkey but you have to provide documentary evidence of you 'receiving' to get it: Proving you're gay to the Turkish army

I wonder how many straight guys do it to dodge the draft and then there's a bunch of gay guys who are very modest stuck in the military! I also wonder what these army officials are doing with this custom requested gay pr0n.

"We should make the gays have sex and show us photos... you know, to make fun of how gay they are"

That article is unbelievable. I love how the photos have you show you as "receiving", you may not be gay if you're just dishing it out apparently.

Imagine being the bloke that has to analyse and process these applications

I'd feel like it would be someone like this

quagmire.gif

Pretty sure for female recruitment it would be easier to find account clerks for this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back