Women's AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Not trolling or not trying to be disrespectfil to the female athletes, but i havnt given the whole female afl a bit of notice.

Are the female teams in anyway associated with the clubs or are they purely related by name only? As i said earlier not trying to be disrespectful and havnt paid attention so happy to be corredcted, but the whole thing seems to be a little like a well publicised half time game where they wear each teams jumper.

Not trolling or not trying to be disrespectfil to the female athletes, but i havnt given the whole female afl a bit of notice.

Are the female teams in anyway associated with the clubs or are they purely related by name only? As i said earlier not trying to be disrespectful and havnt paid attention so happy to be corredcted, but the whole thing seems to be a little like a well publicised half time game where they wear each teams jumper.

Wow, what have we come to when asking a sensible question needs to be qualified by having to say "I am not being sexist" twice.

FWIW, I couldn't give a s**t about woman's football. Apart from the AFL, the other league's are of no interest at all to me...VFL, WAFL QAFL, etc etc etc

I just highly doubt with his busy the afl team is, they would have any time to have anything to do with the female team.

I know the afl were trying to garner interest in the female league by linking them with the afl, however imo they would have been better by establishing a league completely independant of the afl. Their own teams, their own league

The league is going about it wrong

They're linking the clubs in the hope of getting male fans to view it and make it a success

They should be starting Independant clubs, with the intent of getting females involved in the grandstand, as there is a big drop off at 14/15 when girls start doing other things

The point isn't to attract the interest of current AFL fans.

Women's football is all about expanding the game. If there's a professional league there will be more local clubs playing and more more girls playing Aussie Rules over the alternatives.

In Qld for example, I reckon women's football has done more to spread the game than the Lions and Suns (which are largely marketing to the converted). Especially outside of SEQ. Many of the families out watching their daughters aren't traditional AFL fans and through their kids they develop an interest in the game. Most of these girls will also be mothers one day.

love watching womens sport, the girls are very attractive, fit and play hard ball, whether its soccer cricket or afl, the women play the game at it's purest level, no diving, sledging, abusing umpires, belting ppl behind play, i dream of an era where womens sport is better attended than mens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's a great thing that the AFL are implementing, but I think they're going about some of it the wrong way.

It's true female participation in footy drops off after 14/15 years old, but it's not because of lack of interest, it's because that's the age you're no longer allowed to play with the boys, and often there's no women's team to continue to. That's the problem I faced when I hit 14.

It kinda saddens me that the AFL are more focused on making this a spectacle, and a gimmick, rather than a legitimate competition. Adding super-goals, making it a 16-a-side game, having a 40m arc, it's not the game that these girls have grown up playing, and just like the boys when they're playing international rules, if you mess with the rules of the game, you mess with the player's instincts, and they play worse. And putting it before the men's season starts? Who wants to go to the footy in summer? That's cricket season! And way too hot to play in. If the boy's are too soft to play in summer, and have to have heat rules etc, then the same rules should be in place for the girls.

It really should've been a curtain-raiser competition for select men's games each week, set quarter lengths so they don't run overtime, and keep it to the same rules. That's going to get more attendance through people that rock up to the footy early just to check out how the girls are going. It worked well for the BBL.

I want girls in this country to grow up watching women's AFL, and men's AFL, and say "I want to be a footballer when I grow up". I don't want them looking at some gimmicky LFL style competition where they're already made to look lesser or different than the men's comp.

I think it's a great thing that the AFL are implementing, but I think they're going about some of it the wrong way.

It's true female participation in footy drops off after 14/15 years old, but it's not because of lack of interest, it's because that's the age you're no longer allowed to play with the boys, and often there's no women's team to continue to. That's the problem I faced when I hit 14.

It kinda saddens me that the AFL are more focused on making this a spectacle, and a gimmick, rather than a legitimate competition. Adding super-goals, making it a 16-a-side game, having a 40m arc, it's not the game that these girls have grown up playing, and just like the boys when they're playing international rules, if you mess with the rules of the game, you mess with the player's instincts, and they play worse. And putting it before the men's season starts? Who wants to go to the footy in summer? That's cricket season! And way too hot to play in. If the boy's are too soft to play in summer, and have to have heat rules etc, then the same rules should be in place for the girls.

It really should've been a curtain-raiser competition for select men's games each week, set quarter lengths so they don't run overtime, and keep it to the same rules. That's going to get more attendance through people that rock up to the footy early just to check out how the girls are going. It worked well for the BBL.

I want girls in this country to grow up watching women's AFL, and men's AFL, and say "I want to be a footballer when I grow up". I don't want them looking at some gimmicky LFL style competition where they're already made to look lesser or different than the men's comp.
But they can't exactly make a living out of it

I like it, If I have a daughter I'd be taking her to games for sure, she'll be footy obsessed anyway so it would be great for her to aim for something/ dream of being a footballer. As far as getting paid, meh true athletes do it for the love anyway

But they can't exactly make a living out of it
Why can't they? And when did I ever bring up money anyway? I know plenty of girls that wanted to be, and have gone on to play elite level sports such as hockey, netball & cricket, and most of them have a job during the week. It doesn't mean that they can't grow up to be what they want to be.

And who's to say it won't become a success? They might never make the same kinds of money as men in the AFL, but look at the controversies that have been going on regarding pay disparities in soccer. Those girls make a living, and earn their clubs as much if not more than the men.

I i can see the womens league opening up another can of worms. Some reporter /media personality is going to try make a name for themselves by trying to create controversies about the women not being paid enough even though they share the same risks as the men,people dont turn up to watch because females arent taken seriously, people dont watch on tv because they are sexist etc

I i can see the womens league opening up another can of worms. Some reporter /media personality is going to try make a name for themselves by trying to create controversies about the women not being paid enough even though they share the same risks as the men,people dont turn up to watch because females arent taken seriously, people dont watch on tv because they are sexist etc
I'm hangin for the "the best woman should get a spot on the mens team" call

Can't wait.

Not sure why people are criticising the expansion of the game of Australian Rules. This sport has enough to contend with without those who purport to love it shitting on attempts to expand its horizons.

Even if it's an endeavour to get women to be more favourable to their sons playing footy than soccer, I'm all for it. I am not quite that cynical, and believe instead that the main motivation is to allow women who love playing the sport to get a taste of it at a more professional level, as well as the broader concept of expansion.

I'm sure people criticised the notion of women voting in the past too. How embarrassing.

I also understand when people in this thread are being sarcastic, such as the bloke who said "...Stick to cooking". Some have taken that literally. SMH.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back