Women's Ashes 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee I don't think Marsh ever looked like taking a wicket during her first ~14 overs, giving her five more at the end was... optimistic?

Perry's performance was basically what you'd expect of the consummate professional, although the working of singles later in the day could've been sharper by both her and Haynes. Still the 100 runs they put on together ebbed and flowed like a true partnership.

Couldn't say the same for the majority of the English bowling. To harp on it a little more, the tandem spin looked a bit too comfortable out there. Brunt, despite her age, I think has to be used as more of a workhorse to build pressure for Ecclestone at the other end.

Similar with the ODI’s they lacked that 3rd seamer, all the backup quick options were absolute cannon fodder.

Also they bowled way too short, the pitch map showed a story. You can afford to be too full. Make them drive, it’s a harder shot. Bet you we don’t bowl this back of a good length.

As for us, laughable Nicole Bolton was selected yet again. Score under 10 again. She’s got to be the luckiest cricketer around, especially when Mooney and Haynes can open.

and of course all of their pace bowlers run off a shorter run-up... I'm sure both of those factors play a part... but even when all of that is taken into account, I think the girls still bowl at an over-rate considerably more quickly than the guys.

is it possible for the pommy women to get through an over without going ooh to every ball. even those that hit the centre of the bat?

perry to get a double ton and take 8 for.

As for us, laughable Nicole Bolton was selected yet again. Score under 10 again. She’s got to be the luckiest cricketer around, especially when Mooney and Haynes can open.
Need not look beyond the current squad to find someone who's had a cushier ride.

Villani
603 runs in 34 ODIs, averaging 21.53, 3 50s and 0 100s
72 runs in 3 Tests, averaging 14.40
Her two highest scores in ODIs (75 and 59) came against India and Pakistan, dropped three times in each innings.

Bolton
1896 runs in 50 ODIs, averaging 41.21, 12 50s and 4 100s
91 runs in 2.5 Tests, averaging 22.75
Despite her recent dip in form she’s still averaged 34 from her last 10 ODI innings. So even though I wouldn't have picked her for the Test, it would be strange if Mott and co. didn't, given how long they persisted with less impressive performers.

is it possible for the pommy women to get through an over without going ooh to every ball. even those that hit the centre of the bat?
Have to say there's a fair bit of Graeme Swann toolishness about Sophie Ecclestone. Tried to intimidate Jonassen in Game 2, failed and backfired.

Captain obvious here , but gee Perry is an absolute star .
Any kid ( male or female ) wanting to learn proper technique and how to play an innings should watch her .

That pitch looks like it’s going to get very hard to score freely on come day 3 , so big start for the Aussies .

and of course all of their pace bowlers run off a shorter run-up... I'm sure both of those factors play a part... but even when all of that is taken into account, I think the girls still bowl at an over-rate considerably more quickly than the guys.
I think so too. Its not like the men get through 100 overs in a day on rank turners in India with 60 overs of spin. (Although the overs bowled by the pacemen are off a longer run than those bowled by the pacewomen.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats Perry. Composed, elegant 100. Totally dominating the Poms.

I wonder how she is going to be viewed when her career is finished, would have to be one of the most talented sportspersons we have ever produced.

I prefer to think Perry is 315* at the moment. Shows how they really should play more women’s test cricket that the last time she was dismissed in tests was in 2015

dangerous run makes Perry dive even though she was well short, but the throw just wasn't accurate... it's refreshing to see her not signal for new gloves immediately; just dusted herself off and continued on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back