LukeParkerno1

Make me an Admin!
Sep 23, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Terrible terrible game. Calling it "The Ashes" is disrespectful to the true contest played between Oz and the Poms. Womens cricket certainly died in this match so maybe they could burn a bra or camisole and put the ashes in a handbag. Then they could play for the Gucci Bag.
At least they win the Ashes in England, maybe our men side can try it, it's been a decade!

It was unlucky, if there wasn't weather on the 2nd day there would have been a result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DAlembert

Debutant
Mar 12, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
At least they win the Ashes in England, maybe our men side can try it, it's been a decade!

It was unlucky, if there wasn't weather on the 2nd day there would have been a result.
That's my point "The Ashes" should be a real contest. This game was played like an Exhibition game. Perry who is obviously better than average (women) would make DB 99.94 ave look pedestrian if the bowling in women's cricket is of the standard watched in this game.

LukeParkerno1

Make me an Admin!
Sep 23, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
That's my point "The Ashes" should be a real contest. This game was played like an Exhibition game. Perry who is obviously better than average (women) would make DB 99.94 ave look pedestrian if the bowling in women's cricket is of the standard watched in this game.
It is a real contest. England are the Wold Champions in ODI's, they had injuries and we played well in those games. Bowling standard was very good actually if you watched the whole game. Spinners did really well, and you had to bat well, which Perry did. The standard will improve more over the next 4+ years too.

Teen Wolf

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rancho Carne Toros
First and foremost make the match 5 days not 4, this is even more critical in women’s cricket where you don’t have bowlers coming in at 150kmph. 4 days is rarely enough especially with weather coming into play.

Secondly there has to be an incentive to score quickly, so maybe a bonus point in play if you average 4.5 runs an over the whole innings or something like that.

Finally if it stays at 4 days, make the wicket tough enough so wickets come.
The pitch needs to be the primary focus imo, almost everything else takes care of itself if you get that right. Largely comes down to venue selection. Adelaide Oval has produced the best Test wickets over the last few years, why not play it there next time.

4 days should then be enough, but I wouldn't be against a reserve day in the event of rain.

Perhaps the simplest change would be to bring the Test ahead of the ODIs and T20s, can play more freely that way without the series scoreline negatively affecting tactics.

DAlembert

Debutant
Mar 12, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
It is a real contest. England are the Wold Champions in ODI's, they had injuries and we played well in those games. Bowling standard was very good actually if you watched the whole game. Spinners did really well, and you had to bat well, which Perry did. The standard will improve more over the next 4+ years too.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I will check back in in 4 years to see if there have been improvements.

IKnowtheDog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I think the scheduling of the women’s ashes they’ve squeezed between the men’s World Cup and men’s Tour of England.

I don’t mind it as a concept

Howard Littlejohn

Brownlow Medallist
May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tried to watch some of this game but alas I find it unwatchable. Australia should have made 820 against that attack. No wonder the women do not play many Tests. There is no ( old word ) penetration in the bowling at all. Full Tosses, Half Trackers are the norm and no pressure gets built on the batters. There is no fast bowling so as a batter there is no pressure or fear factor. Dare I say it a good u/16 boys team would comfortably win. And they talk of bigger money..it is truly laughable.
They do struffle to maintain pressure, but is that a lack of ability or lack of experience in long form cricket? Two tests and maybe two tour games every four years is hardly going to be enough to develop the right habits. Especially on a largely T20 diet.
I so feel some of the batting was trying too hard to be Test-like, and a lack of awareness on when to up the rate showed through. Is four days enough? Maybe they could be scheduled over four, with a fifth available to make up any lost time.

k31th

Premiership Player
Sep 11, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Storm|V/OzCricket|NBA/L|NHL|V8|F1
definitely won't be up at 4:15am to watch the first T20... :(

Teen Wolf

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rancho Carne Toros
Surprised Villani missed out. Putting aside performance in the other formats, can't really complain about her T20I and WBBL numbers from the last two years. Still, it's good they're not sacrificing a seam option to make room for the multitude of spinning allrounders.

Pitch looks like a belter on first impressions, but Healy out caught early due to a cool head and safe hands from Sciver.

Teen Wolf

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rancho Carne Toros
1/114 after 11. When a leading edge sails for six, ideally the fielding team stays calm and recognises 200 has barely looked a par score from the outset.

Conversely Australia should really be looking for 250 here, pushed it around a bit too much the last few overs but it's boundary-clearing time on this batting paradise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teen Wolf

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rancho Carne Toros
Australia end up 3/226. Lanning with a women's record of 133* off 63. All the sweetly timed shots she's shown before and after shoulder surgery, but crucially managed to go on with it this time rather than giving it away in the 70s.

England not without a chance to get 227 in this dead rubber at a ground they're 14-0 at, gonna need Australia to be poor in the field though... And just as I write that, Perry opens the innings with some beautiful outswingers and then Gardner takes a brilliant catch at Third Man.

Teen Wolf

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rancho Carne Toros
England 4/54 after 10, I swear the pitch is still as flat as a pancake lol. Pez and Shoota had the new ball hooping under lights though and the hosts went into panic mode, culminating in Knight's easy run out.

Teen Wolf

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rancho Carne Toros
9/134 and a 93-run loss to England, utter smashing, worse than the 3rd ODI imo. Brunt and Winfield, who are genuine but less-accomplished batsmen, put on 40 together in the space of 4 overs so you can figure out how poor their top order played without even looking at Australia's innings.

One-sided contests tend to be pretty boring. Not this time, what a riot!

k31th

Premiership Player
Sep 11, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I woke up and read through the cricinfo commentary of both innings... an absolute demolishing... then watched the highlights on YT and it was hardly hyped up by even more of a demolishing than the commentary indicated haha

congratulations to Lanning on a magnificent innings.

k31th

Premiership Player
Sep 11, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
England are being put to the sword again tonight... 113-8 off 19.2 doesn't seem like it's going to be enough...

k31th

Premiership Player
Sep 11, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
121-8 is the end. You'd think the Aussies would make this chase quite easily.

Teen Wolf

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rancho Carne Toros
Yeah crawled into triple-figures thanks to a couple dropped catches from Beth Mooney. Took one goodie though, so still better than what I expect of bare-handed keepers.

The way Sciver and Beaumont got out is banishment-worthy usually. In this case though I'm inclined to give them a free pass because it's looked like a clear English coaching directive to play more silly lap and reverse sweeps today. Amazingly, playing straight down the ground seemed to work better.

k31th

Premiership Player
Sep 11, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
and Healy takes 14 off the first over (which was admittedly garbage bowling by Elwiss)

Top Bottom