Women's Ashes 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure why England didn't treat that last session as a free hit, still got a whole 2nd innings left to batten down the hatches if required.

Basically had to get to the 271 by stumps to have any winning chance imo*, it would've at least put the burden of daring cricket back on Australia. With 39 overs left in the day the Poms were 4/119, so 152 more runs at 3.9 rpo is definitely worth the gamble.

Instead they went at 2.1 rpo for the loss of 2 wickets. Shutting up shop for 150 overs doesn't seem like a better risk-reward ratio to me, and that's without even accounting for how the series is poised.

*then bowl Aus out for 100-150 in ~40 overs, then chase 250-300 in ~60 overs (unlikely but possible)

Have to say there's a fair bit of Graeme Swann toolishness about Sophie Ecclestone. Tried to intimidate Jonassen in Game 2, failed and backfired.
the wicketkeeper is over keen on appealing as well.

must say providing a used second rate pitch for the women for a test match is a disgrace. there'd be an insurrection if that was even mentioned for the men.

Tried to watch some of this game but alas I find it unwatchable. Australia should have made 820 against that attack. No wonder the women do not play many Tests. There is no ( old word ) penetration in the bowling at all. Full Tosses, Half Trackers are the norm and no pressure gets built on the batters. There is no fast bowling so as a batter there is no pressure or fear factor. Dare I say it a good u/16 boys team would comfortably win. And they talk of bigger money..it is truly laughable.

Nat Sciver said England aren't playing for the draw… but they clearly spent the last 2 hours of day 3 turning down a lot of easy singles. There's 108 overs left, they need roughly another 350 runs on the board and a few other things to go their way—can't happen without attacking intent from pretty much ball one today.

And hopefully that's a new ball, perhaps shared between Schutt and Vlaeminck (both were well underused yesterday, bowled much better in their second spells and might make for an effective combo). Then I'd go back to the Perry-Molineux combo which worked straight after tea, despite obvious fatigue resulting in too many loose deliveries.

Tried to watch some of this game but alas I find it unwatchable. Australia should have made 820 against that attack. No wonder the women do not play many Tests. There is no ( old word ) penetration in the bowling at all. Full Tosses, Half Trackers are the norm and no pressure gets built on the batters. There is no fast bowling so as a batter there is no pressure or fear factor. Dare I say it a good u/16 boys team would comfortably win. And they talk of bigger money..it is truly laughable.
Anybody who has genuinely tried to understand women's cricket already knows the worthlessness of most those criticisms. That last snide remark, however, is an especially cheap and misguided shot.

Perry and co. could've easily kicked up a stink when CA stopped them from making more money in India this year. Instead the only public statements from any of those players were that of support for the decision, even though it arose out of a dispute which had nothing to do with them.

Jonassen gets Sciver. She only played the two false shots (both in a row) right at the end of her innings. 88 from 180 is a very commendable innings, considering the circumstances.

poms lose their 9th wicket with what looked to be a fairly straight-forward LBW and then they declare trailing by 145... right... weird circumstances for a declaration; just preventing Molineux from getting a michelle on debut?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunno if Haynes' promotion was about quick runs, possibly more to do with Bolton having a sore thumb on top of being a walking wicket lately. Would've expected Mooney to open otherwise.

The slow batting last night seems even sillier now in light of the way they played today. Nevertheless it's all set up quite nicely now. Think Meg will make a declaration only on the very outer edges of sporting though, give the English batters just enough rope to hang themselves. Something like a 300 target off 40 overs.

Far out, it's like being visited by the ghosts of (recent) Ashes past, present and future all at once when you see an Australian getting out to an English spinner's pie that way.

that is some catch at short-leg by Tammy Beaumont to catch out Mooney... hit her right in the bread-basket and she managed to hold onto it from a shot that was hit quite well after going down the pitch and flicking it to the leg side... 25 off 33 is what she made which is what was required for the situation.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back